New Gun for Christmas

Thanks guys Im going to shoulder a couple and see how they feel. I have felt the 1187 cause I have an 870 and its great but I did think the 1187 felt bulky and old fashion (no offence to anyone). It seemed to me that the benelli was a sleak and sexy looking gun that felt comfortable and modern all at the same time, however Im going to try a couple to see what fits.

Heck Steve...I don't even put any in the Mag. They hold more than one? :(

Deerslayer. I was serious about the over oiling. oil it and wipe all parts dry. if you can wipe any off with your finger you have too much on it. I knew a guy that was an engineer at Remington  and way having cycling problems with my 1100. he stripped it down and showed me I had too much oil in it. I haven't had any issues since.

I had an early Browning Gold Hunter Series in 12ga, that made several trips to Browning.

Anything under 30* was a disaster and would not cycle even if bone dry. I understand that subsequent models were redisigned for the gas system as I did recieve a recall letter, but by that time the gun was gone. And considerable postage paid for returns was spent.

Beretta slug barrel did require several different loads to decide on what was most effective, but I think that is common for most slug guns. I don't use it much, as i have gone to a 20ga instead; but accurate as I was shooting.

I can remember one, brand new that would not cycle the third shot

Burt, Culver and I actually don't know if our 11-87's would cycle the third shot or not because we have always bagged something with the first or second shots.  LOL

Just kidding there!

Steve on the third shot we already have two dead ducks and were lookin' for the third to drop as well!! ;D

Thanks guys Im going to shoulder a couple and see how they feel. I have felt the 1187 cause I have an 870 and its great but I did think the 1187 felt bulky and old fashion (no offence to anyone). It seemed to me that the benelli was a sleak and sexy looking gun that felt comfortable and modern all at the same time, however Im going to try a couple to see what fits.

Are you going to shoot it or sleep with it...lol :(

Heck Steve...I don't even put any in the Mag. They hold more than one? :(

Deerslayer. I was serious about the over oiling. oil it and wipe all parts dry. if you can wipe any off with your finger you have too much on it. I knew a guy that was an engineer at Remington  and way having cycling problems with my 1100. he stripped it down and showed me I had too much oil in it. I haven't had any issues since.

I actually dont shoot a Remington unless its an emergency. But your thought is correct, however it was not the case, because we have issues with oil before,(over oiling) espieccally when its freezing.I believe the problem resulting in the factory grinding something.

Well you know Culver, if you think of guns as women that could be trouble. Guns are alot like women though, some are made for hard work and some are nice to look at. The key is to find a balance between the two, one that looks nice and shots well...wait am I talking about women or guns I forget? Either way I prefer something that is easy on the eye's especially if I am plan on keeping it around for awhile.  ;)

I can remember one, brand new that would not cycle the third shot

Burt, Culver and I actually don't know if our 11-87's would cycle the third shot or not because we have always bagged something with the first or second shots.  LOL

Just kidding there!

Steve on the third shot we already have two dead ducks and were lookin' for the third to drop as well!! ;D

Yeah, the Remington's have a game killing sensor built into them to prevent game overkill.  It knows that you killed two ducks with the first two shots, so it malfunctions on the third shot all in the name of game conservation.  Do the $1200 Beretta's or Benelli's have such a smart feature??  I don't think so.

Well you know Culver, if you think of guns as women that could be trouble. Guns are alot like women though, some are made for hard work and some are nice to look at. The key is to find a balance between the two, one that looks nice and shots well...wait am I talking about women or guns I forget? Either way I prefer something that is easy on the eye's especially if I am plan on keeping it around for awhile.  ;)

Good analogy, Doe.  I swear there are guys out there who would rather be sleeping with their guns instead of their wives or girlfriends.  Talk about oils and lubricants.  Maybe with the right combination of the stuff they might be able to.  8)

Actually Remington is not the only one with that feature, browning and mossberg also incorporate it and they do it very well.

I had a mossberg 9200 and loved that auto loader. handled anything I put in it. on 2 occassions I fell walking in the swap out in Iroquois and plugged it full of mud. When I got to the blind location...broke it down, rinsed with swamp water and finished the entire day without missing a beat. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it

I think an 06 with a 22 inch barrel is as perfect for deer as anyone would need.  These days a number of makers are using 24 inch barrels on non-magnum calibers like the 06 and 26 inch barrels on magnum calibers which are just too darned long in my opinion.  The little extra speed that you would get from the longer barrels makes ZERO difference on game at any range anyone should be shooting at.

I guess as a bow guy you figured you'd reach out and tap the deer on it's head with a long barrel like that before you shot it.  Kind of like asking it, "hey yo deer, are you ready to let me shoot you?".  Since many here are AR/QDM guys who only shoot specific deer of a certain age or size, we might as well go one step further and start asking permission from the deer before we open fire.  LOL

I guess as a bow guy you figured you'd reach out and tap the deer on it's head with a long barrel like that before you shot it.  Kind of like asking it, "hey yo deer, are you ready to let me shoot you?".  Since many here are AR/QDM guys who only shoot specific deer of a certain age or size, we might as well go one step further and start asking permission from the deer before we open fire.  LOL

That doesn't need to be written permission does it?

That doesn't need to be written permission does it?

Yes it does.  The deer needs to put its hoof print on paper in front of a notary.

wait, wait..isn't that how you kill a deer with a gun? I thought I was supposed to swing my gun like a club and render it unconsious and then stab it with my knife. So you are telling me I have been doing it all wrong all these years? damit!

As far as the note goes, the hard part is finding a damn notary in the woods. Those guys have excellent camo.

LOL

Maybe that is why some guys want to use AR-15's and other para-military weapons for hunting.  With a bayonet attachment on these guns they could club a deer to death and then proceed to gut, skin and butcher it with one swing of the barrel.  Now if they could only vacuum pack the meat for me, I just might get me one of these guns.

Are you going to shoot it or sleep with it...lol ;)

I knew that sounded a little dirty when I was writing, but it was the best way to describe it.