Final Weekend of Southern Zone Gun Season

WNYBuckHunter

Well, unfortunately its that time for me when deer season is coming to a close. I dont have a ML and am not bothering with the bow for the late season this year. Hopefully I can get the deal sealed on a deer or two. Ill be out on all day hunts both days. It looks like it could be a great weekend to hit the food sources, as we have a big storm rolling in from the Southwest Sunday evening. The deer should be on their feet getting something to eat to tide them through the storm.

After this weekend Ill be pulling my stands and getting the last couple of things ready for coyote hunting.

We've got a light dusting, and COLD here in capital region, I'm physically twitching to get back out there.

Tactic wise, not sure what I want to do yet.  I'm thinking about walk n stalk, all weekend.  Leave it all out in the woods sort of thing.  But with the cold, man they GOTTA move.  Second rut should be coming on now shouldn't it?

Second rut should be coming on now shouldn't it?

I have no idea. Unless I see one mounted I couldn't say for sure...lol. If this keeps up out here with the snow I may be doing a still hunt on snow shoes. Feel bad for our members in the southern region 9 and those at the lake Ontarion east end counties. Might be touhg even out here by me. I have areas of the property that have grass showing and others with 4' drifts. Official total before last nights snow fall was 14 inches and we probably got 3 last night

Hoping the conditions are decent for a few day runs on closing weekend. For the NZ closer I saw two does early on Sat. And some nice tracks, well that got me pumped but they'l have to wait till next year now. I got a feeling a friend of mine might ask me to hunt the weekend or at least a day up to his place (SZ) because you need 4x just to get up on the property now.

should be a great weekend to go get them. I noticed today on my way to work that there were many deer up and feeding ....with snow up to their bellies i might add...lol. Good luck and there were a pile of yotes howling and yipping across from my house last night.. ;)

Ive been hearing a bunch out this way too, I cant wait to go after them.

I had planned on hunting Allegany state park for the last trip out Saturday and pack in (even if i had to use my snowshoes) but after talking with my old boss who lives ten minutes from the park i decided snow shoes aint going to do me any good with 4 ft of snow.

Guess i will be heading out to the farm instead.

I will be getting geared up for hard water soon.

Years ago when a lot of you were in diapers,This kind of weather was normal for the southern zone rifle season.We wore wool long johns,shirts,pants and coats.Ate a good meal and drank good liquid refreshments the night before,to keep warm the following 5 AM getting to our hunting spots.