The purpose of predator hunting

It breaks up the void of time in between deer and spring turkey season. Love hunting with my snow camo. There's also something about hunting at night that I like. Someone's going to hear the shot and be like WTH was that ?! Fox are fairly easy to call in but when you get a coyote under the gun it's a whole new ballgame. 

• Like 2

At one time in my life, a buddy of mine and I did a lot of fox hunting with an electronic caller.

One reason we did it was because it was a heck of a lot of FUN, and it was very exciting when a fox came charging in to the call.

An added bonus was the fact that fox pelts were selling for $50 to $75 each in those days. I used the proceeds from my fox pelts to purchase several guns, including the 20 gauge double barrel that has been my hands down favorite bird/rabbit gun for many years now.

The pelts do make a nice trophy for display also. I have had several grey foxes and a couple of coyotes tanned and they look nice on the wall of a man cave..One thing I always wanted to do is have a red fox, a grey fox and a coyote tanned and hang them side by side, but I never got around to having a red fox tanned.

I haven't hunted them in years...probably the main reason I don't do it anymore is because it works best at night, and I'm usually conked out in my recliner by 8:00 PM..LOL...

Plain old fun....really it's a ton of fun early morning/night hunts with a light....even when you get dive bombed by a owl in pitch black that scares the tar outta you it's a blast....and coyotes to me are the most challenging game in ny IMO

Edit....and selling fur will at least pay for your rounds

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 2

It breaks up the void of time in between deer and spring turkey season. Love hunting with my snow camo. There's also something about hunting at night that I like. Someone's going to hear the shot and be like WTH was that ?! Fox are fairly easy to call in but when you get a coyote under the gun it's a whole new ballgame. 

Most people dont hear the shots. I have hunted within 100 yards of my old house, and shot a fox with a braked AR15, and people in the room with windows facing me never heard it.

Just testing tapatalk ....

Plain old fun....really it's a ton of fun early morning/night hunts with a light....even when you get dive bombed by a owl in pitch black that scares the tar outta you it's a blast....and coyotes to me are the most challenging game in ny IMO

Edit....and selling fur will at least pay for your rounds

For me, I love the way the yotes talk back, late at night, in the dark, when it's just me and my rifle. I ha e been circled many times and have had them sneak in behind me and bark within bow range.... just an awesome experiance. It's kinda like calling in a tom turkey, except this is a meat eating predator, and it's dark. Love the thrill !

• Like 1

I wonder how many guys on the forum are actually predator hunting this time of year... I'll bet it's a lot less than the numbers of guys that complain about the coyote population... maybe not.. but I 'm betting most deer hunters don't hunt coyotes outside of deer season.

• Like 1

I wonder how many guys on the forum are actually predator hunting this time of year... I'll bet it's a lot less than the numbers of guys that complain about the coyote population... maybe not.. but I 'm betting most deer hunters don't hunt coyotes outside of deer season.

Perhaps true, shooting them during deer season is opportunity hunting. Some guys may not be set up to call them. No red lens spotlight, electric or hand calls, somebody to pan light for them, decoys. With this new snow I'd be out tonight except for the gale force winds. 

You dont need a red filtered light. If you get an LED spotlight with a blueish tint to the light, they will not spook, and you can see far more clearly than with the red filter. The biggest pain hunting by yourself at night is working the call, light and rifle all by yourself, but it can be done. I hunt by myself at times. More fun with a buddy though.

You dont need a red filtered light. If you get an LED spotlight with a blueish tint to the light, they will not spook, and you can see far more clearly than with the red filter. The biggest pain hunting by yourself at night is working the call, light and rifle all by yourself, but it can be done. I hunt by myself at times. More fun with a buddy though.

Can't tell you how many times I wish I had a hunting partner. Light, call, rifle, somet8mes camera too, can be a task ! I will be going out this evening even with the wind. I love snowy nights cause then I don't have to worry bout using the light.
  • Like 1