Gonna Play with a Vortex

Pygmy

A long time hunting buddy of mine is planning a high country mule deer hunt in Colorado.

He wants me to work up a long range load for his M70 .280 Rem.

He's replacing his 25 year old Tasco <<CRINGE>> scope with a 2.5x 10 power Vortex, I am not sure what model.

SO, I'll finally get to play with one of the Vortex scopes that so many of the posters here speak so well of.

• Like 1

I have a few of the Crossfire line...their bottom one. I really like them.

The ONLY complaint I have on my crossfire scope is that the adjustment knob, while fuild, requires more pressure to move - at least more than I am used to and more than I prefer. The glass itself is very nice...from the scopes to the binos. Hard to believe this stuff is china made...it's pretty good quality. There's some edge burn/clarity, but I've looked at similar priced lines (VX-1, Redfield's USA model Revolution, etc.) and there's no difference in the amount/degree. In fact, I returned a NIB VX-1 for the scope...and also the Redfield binos for the Vortex models.

Moog and WNYBuckhunter have some of the higher line models.

Quick google came up with this on effects of altitude on ballistics:

"the ballisticard range cards dont' start adjusting for altitude until 600yrds. they say (in the case of a 308win) a rough estimate is .5 MOA for each 2000' change at 600 yrds."

Assuming its correct, its not something I will have to worry about since I am not capable of shooting that far accurately, as far as I know.  lol

Not intended to derail thread, back to your regularly scheduled program.

I believe that a rifle tends to shoot a little flatter at high altitudes due to lower atmospheric pressure, but not enough to make a difference at the ranges that most of us shoot at.  I consider 400 yards to be a long shot unless you have specialized long range gear.

My own .280 ,  shooting 140 Nosler ballistic tips at around 3000 FPS,  when sighted 4" high at 100, is 4" high at 200, 4" low at 300 and  12" low at 400. Those figures come from actually shooting groups at those ranges, not ballistic tables.

That allows a "center rib cage" hold out to a little over 300 yards, and a  "level with backline" hold at 400, which I consider the limit of my rifle and my ability.

That is with a dead steady rest, of course. Most of the animals that I have killed  at ranges from 250 to 400 yards have been shot from a prone position with a bipod or other solid rest.

I've hunted Wyoming twice around 5000ft elevation and saw no difference in any shots up to 440yds. Maybe at even longer distances it's a factor? Or maybe higher elevation like 9-10k?

I sightin for 2-3" high at 100, so it's like 4" high at 200, and dead on at 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

The ONLY complaint I have on my crossfire scope is that the adjustment knob, while fuild, requires more pressure to move - at least more than I am used to and more than I prefer.

I have a couple Leupold's that practically require vise grips. :)  But I deal with it..........should send them back for a makeover but its no biggie..........

As far as Vortex, only Vortex product I ever looked in was a pair of their binos this fall.  Top of the line something or other that was amazing!

A long time hunting buddy of mine is planning a high country mule deer hunt in Colorado.

He wants me to work up a long range load for his M70 .280 Rem.

He's replacing his 25 year old Tasco <<CRINGE>> scope with a 2.5x 10 power Vortex, I am not sure what model.

SO, I'll finally get to play with one of the Vortex scopes that so many of the posters here speak so well of.

What bullet is he going with or has that not been determined yet??

Since his rifle and mine are identical , the first bullet I will try will be the 140 Nosler BT that has worked so well in my rifle... Excellent  performance on game ( as long as you  don't hotrod them at short range)  and excellent long range form.

If that doesn't work ( I expect it will)  I will go from there...

I worked up loads for my .280 and his .280  for our 1989 Alaska float trip.

According to my notes, his rifle was a bit more accurate than mine and would tolerate a grain or two more powder before showing pressure signs..

Since we were hunting moose/caribou we were  using Nosler 160 partitions for that hunt.

Do you even know how to change magnification on a variable scope? :sorry:

LOL

Swarovski Claus bought me a 3-12 rail mount......you'd be scared of that 50mm objective. But look mom....no rings! ^_^

If your PH over in the Dark Continent ever has a need for a funnel in a pinch you can certainly help out................... :)

Lets see pics of that scope, mounted up.  Please.........!!

If your PH over in the Dark Continent ever has a need for a funnel in a pinch you can certainly help out................... :)

Lets see pics of that scope, mounted up.  Please.........!!

Just punch out the lense groups and use it for petrol, that'll work.

This is a z6i rail mount with multi zero turret I lifted from a friends photobucket account but gets the idea across.....but basically the "teeth" mate in to the mount.

Swarovski0041024x442_zpsf602194d.jpg

Mount will be here next week, shops closed for holidays.

I already have the scope I'm expecting but in a standard ring mount on a R93....

IMG_2826_zps4542cca7.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale

Pygmy, I think there are a few lonely hunters on this forum that would let themselves get shot by some cheap rusted out clunker gun, to get one virgin, let alone 40. Come to think of it they'd probably let themselves get shot for only a kiss from a floozy that didn't have any teeth!! LOL

Hehehehe...

In the area  I am talking about, the definition of a virgin is " A person who has never had intimate relations outside  his/her immediate family"....

Tooth/Teeth are definitely optional.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2