Insufficient scope adjustment..Suggestions ?

Pygmy

If it has the dovetail mount on one end and the other end with a screw on each side, Make sure the screws are adjusted the same amount. Also I had 2 different semi auto's , older rifles to some now days. One the scope mounting screws on the receiver were drilled and tapped off center from the center of the bbl. and the other the hole in the receiver was drilled and tapped on an angle which the bbl. threaded into, which put the bbl. off to one side.

I seriously doubt a "Belgian made Safari Grade" FN  Mauser has the holes drilled off kilter.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 3

Hehehehehe...Steve 863.. I DO have a 4x Leupold I could slap on it...

I'm just not sure if I want to mess with  it that much..

I have NO IDEA about the history of the rifle..I think the owner inherited it from some relative who has gone on to the Happy Hunting Grounds...

The rifle has defintiely been USED and perhaps somewhat ABUSED  judging from the amount of pitting on the metal plus the crack in the forend ( which I repaired)..

Still, it is a good sound shooter with a good looking bore..It would make a good hunting rifle for someone..

Thanks to ALL of you for advice...Gives me lots of options. I just need to decide if I want to invest more time in it, since the owner will PROBABLY never hunt with it anyway..  Perhaps if he offered to sell it to me for a reasonable amount...

So far all he has offered me for working on it is a bag of his homemade sauerkraut...LOL..

Hehehehehe...Steve 863.. I DO have a 4x Leupold I could slap on it...

I'm just not sure if I want to mess with  it that much..

I have NO IDEA about the history of the rifle..I think the owner inherited it from some relative who has gone on to the Happy Hunting Grounds...

The rifle has defintiely been USED and perhaps somewhat ABUSED  judging from the amount of pitting on the metal plus the crack in the forend ( which I repaired)..

Still, it is a good sound shooter with a good looking bore..It would make a good hunting rifle for someone..

Thanks to ALL of you for advice...Gives me lots of options. I just need to decide if I want to invest more time in it, since the owner will PROBABLY never hunt with it anyway..  Perhaps if he offered to sell it to me for a reasonable amount...

So far all he has offered me for working on it is a bag of his homemade sauerkraut...LOL..

FN Mausers are JUNK. Send it to me to assure proper disposal. No charge!

Edited by wildcat junkie

The top gun in this picture is a Belgium built Browning Safari 30-06, same as the one in question here.  I snapped this picture late this past deer season at my buddies.  The Browning is my uncles, I've shot it a few times.  LOVE that action, the barrel and even the OLD B&L scope with NO internal adjustments. :)  It has windage and elevation adjustable mounts.  (bet you young guys never saw that coming!)  It is great looking and a heck of a shooter too!  Factory engraving really sets the gun apart from others of its era.

The other gun is my dad's Weatherby 30-06 that I just sold on this site to a member from Alaska. 

IMG_6304_zpsdf5722e9.jpg

The reason I snapped the picture is because enjoy almost all bolt action rifles and we had four guns that hunted that day and two were older woodies and two were more modern;  the two aforementioned guns on top and two ULA's on the bottom, a 257 Roberts and my LH 300WSM.  

Did I ever mention how much I enjoy all these guns?? :yes:

IMG_6303_zpsb6afb944.jpg

Okay, Guys.....

I can't stand it... I just have to find out...

OFF comes the old Redfield.... I'll check everything for square and plumb...

ON goes one of my old faithful 4X Leupolds.... I guess I gotta find  out where the old bear  **** in the buckwheat...

Thanks for the input..

I hope the owner of the rifle appreciates my efforts...Maybe he'll give me TWO ziplocs full of sauerkraut...<<grin>>...

Edited by Pygmy

The Browning is my uncles, I've shot it a few times.  LOVE that action, the barrel and even the OLD B&L scope with NO internal adjustments. :)  It has windage and elevation adjustable mounts.  (bet you young guys never saw that coming!) 

In regards to the 98 Mauser action that the FN Brownings are built on. It is one of the finest, most depenable bolt actions ever developed. While the Weatherby is a fine action & has it's merits, the 98 action has never been surpassed for feeding reliability when the precise, original magazine dimension formula is adhered to. It aligns every cartridge in a perfect 60° triangular stack with complete continuous base to shoulder contact between the cases, follower & sides of the magazine box. Many "gunsmiths" aren't aware of this when converting to 30-06 or .308 based cartridges which would each require unique magazine dimentions differing from each other as well as the original 8X57 case taper..

The "controlled round feed" design also makes it impossible to double feed. A second round won't strip from the magazine W/O the round controlled by the claw extracter being ejected first. All of this was dreamed up & perfected during the latter part of the 19th century. Many PHs that persue "dangerous game" will only use 98 Mauser type actions or double rifles when their necks are on the line. The '03 Springfield was built under license from Mauser & the original "pre-'64" M70 Winchester action is a very close copy.

As far as the B&L windage/elevation adjusment mounts? I remember their magazine adds depicting their competitor's scopes with off center reticles. I'm not sure if the ads were 100% true as far as their competitor's shortcomings, but it made an impression on my young mind @ the time.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I can appreciate the controlled round feed of the Mauser after something that happened to me just a little over a year ago in the PA deer woods.

I was using my push feed M700 Mountain Rifle..  I shot at a doe and missed, for whatever reason...It was fairly thick and I may have got a deflection, or maybe I flinched...All I know was I did not hit the deer. She did not know where the shot came from and ran right toward me and stopped perhaps 20 yards away, broadside.

Somehow, after years of shooting a bolt action, I managed to short shuck the bolt and jammed the action...It was frustrating  watching the deer standing there right in front of me while I tried frantically to clear the action of my rifle.  Of course, just as I got the action cleared and another round chambered, the deer took off.

That was just a somewhat comical event which resulted in a doe whitetail escaping unharmed, but if it had involved a dangerous game animal trying to eat me or stomp me into the ground, it could have been another story altogether..

Did I ever mention how much I enjoy all these guns?? :yes:

IMG_6303_zpsb6afb944.jpg

If you offered me my choice of any of those guns, I would take the Mauser W/O hesitation. The B&L optical set-up would be icing on the cake too.

When my brother was facing his inevitible mortality he opened his gun case & told me to pick whatever I wanted. I had it narrowed down to a "Bubba" sporterized, numbers matching Oberndorf K98 with an outstanding barreled action & a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I sometimes kick myself for not taking the Savage. I'm such a sucker for really nice Mausers!

Edited by wildcat junkie

I can appreciate the controlled round feed of the Mauser after something that happened to me just a little over a year ago in the PA deer woods.

I was using my push feed M700 Mountain Rifle..  I shot at a doe and missed, for whatever reason...It was fairly thick and I may have got a deflection, or maybe I flinched...All I know was I did not hit the deer. She did not know where the shot came from and ran right toward me and stopped perhaps 20 yards away, broadside.

Somehow, after years of shooting a bolt action, I managed to short shuck the bolt and jammed the action...It was frustrating  watching the deer standing there right in front of me while I tried frantically to clear the action of my rifle.  Of course, just as I got the action cleared and another round chambered, the deer took off.

That was just a somewhat comical event which resulted in a doe whitetail escaping unharmed, but if it had involved a dangerous game animal trying to eat me or stomp me into the ground, it could have been another story altogether..

Mausers are a bit trickier to bed properly for consistant pin point accuracy, but I think I have learned a few tricks that help. Still a PITA though.

Round "tube" recievers like the M700 are so simple to get bedded properly. That's why they are favorites for those looking for accuracy.

I too missed an opportunity at either of 2 bucks sparring a stones throw away due to a push feed cluster f@. Only in my case, it was a blind magazine ADL. I literaly had to walk the 150yds to the house W/a jammed up M700 & take the action out of the stock to clear the jam. :banghead:

It's bedtime so I'll have to reveal the whole comedy in the morning.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Okay, friends and Neighbors...

I removed the scope and rings from the base..

Did the straightedge check...Nothing bent as far as I can see...

I centered the rear ring, which has some windage adjustment... The Port side screw was about .020" longer than the starboard side screw, so I switched them.

Ran the windage adjustment all the way to the left, and then ran it back halfway to the right.

Someday this week when it warms up a tad, I'l lrun up to the range and see if I have accomplished anything.

I will report my results..Thanks again to all of you for your input and suggestions.

Okay, friends and Neighbors...

I removed the scope and rings from the base..

Did the straightedge check...Nothing bent as far as I can see...

I centered the rear ring, which has some windage adjustment... The Port side screw was about .020" longer than the starboard side screw, so I switched them.

Ran the windage adjustment all the way to the left, and then ran it back halfway to the right.

Someday this week when it warms up a tad, I'l lrun up to the range and see if I have accomplished anything.

I will report my results..Thanks again to all of you for your input and suggestions.

You are going to use a different scope of known reliability right?.

• Like 1

That's the next step, Dan...

I considered putting my 4x Leupy on it, but I wanted to try his Redfield one more time.

If it were me, I would take the 4X Leupold to the range & swap it out if centering everthing didn't have the POI on the paper @ 25yds W/the Redfield.

If it's on the paper, I would use the base windage to get it close @ 25yds before using the reticle adjustment.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Good suggestion. That is just what I'll do.

I just did not want to change TOO many variables at the same time.

I really DO want  Lyle's Redfield to be OK also... That would be the happiest ending to the story.

As a last ditch effort, maybe give the turret block a sharp rap with a plastic mallet & see if anything changes?

If it comes to rapping the scope with a mallet, I think I'll let the OWNER do that...<<smile>>..

With my luck the crosshairs would fall out of it..

That reminds of a story that happened QUITE a few years ago.

A friend of mine and one of his co-workers were discussing thier woodchuck rifles..

Another co-worker, named Louie,  entered the conversation and told about his woodchuck rifle, with which he claimed to kill the varmints at extreme ranges. He offered to go out to the parking lot at lunchtime and show the other fellows his rifle.

They went to the parking lot and Louie took his rifle out of his vehicle..

It was a lever action 30-30 with a cheap scope..One of the guys looked through the scope and discovered that it had no crosshairs.

He said.. " Louie...Your scope doesn't have any crosshairs...How do you HIT anything with it ? "

Louie never missed a beat.. he said " It's a real BITCH until you get used to it "....

• Like 1

If it comes to rapping the scope with a mallet, I think I'll let the OWNER do that...<<smile>>..

With my luck the crosshairs would fall out of it..

We're not talking a full swing W/a 16# sledge here, just a tap to see if the reticle is dislodged.

Getting back to stories about "pushfeed" jams.

Back in '99 I was driving home from work about 1/2 hour before sundown early in out NZ deer season. As I rounded a gentle curve a few hundred yds from my house, I looked across a mown hay field & spied a HUGE deer about 200yds distant walking past a staghorn sumac thicket. I couldn't see horns against the sumac bushes, but it was so larger, there was no doubt that it was a buck.

I pulled into my driveway, rushed into my house, grabbed my .243 M700 ADL W/some cartridges & headed across the road. I trotted up the hill across my hayfield & crossed a fencerow into the adjoining property. I slipped up to the area where I had spotted the deer only to here the deep, slow thump-thump, thump-thump of a heavy deer escaping in the thick 2nd growth timber behind the sumac bushes.

I reversed my direction & started to walk back towards the fence row. Somewhere along the way I had emptied the magazine. As I stepped into my hay field I looked to my right & saw a pair of yearling bucks about 20-25 yds distant W/their horns locked. They were pushing each other around just outside the edge of the woods.

Since this was only my 2nd deer season hunting on my property, any buck was fair game. W/my eyes glued to the oblivious bucks, I fumbled in my pocket, retrieved several cartridges & started to stuff them into the magazine. I attempted to chamber a round while still keeping my eyes glued on the combatants. JAM! I now looked down into my weapon's magazine to see a cartridge that some how had become lodged crosswise in the magazine well.

I frantically fished my rather full keyring out of my pocket & W/the numerous keys jingling rather loudly, I tried to pry the offending cartridge free. By now I had gotten the attention of the adolecent bucks & they were staring @ me, one of them W/his head cocked like a curious dog trying to figure out what all the commotion was about. They soon had their fill of the spectacle & jumped into the nearby cover.

In a rather gloomy mindset, I walked the short distance to the house. I sat down in my Lazy Boy & tried to clear the jam. I ended up removing the stock in order to get the jam cleared. Don't ask me how I got it in such a bind, I haven't the foggiest idea. I traded that gun for a M700 Mtn Rfl DBM in 7mm-08 a few days later.  Never again will I own a bolt action rifle W/a blind magazine! Even the crudest military Mausers have a floorplate that can be removed W/the use of a cartridge bullet point to depress a button.

I have another strory about fumbling W/the M700 DBM (no fault of the rifle) that I will share later. I'm such a klutz @ times that I need the M98 features to eliminate as many stumbling (fumbling) blocks as possible.

Edited by wildcat junkie