Gun Shops Closing

Luckily in my neck of the woods Cabelas and Bass Pro are a long way away.  That being said there are plenty of Dicks around, but why even bother. 

The local shops have the one crucial component that will keep me going back; well informed staff who live and hunt locally.  Add to that the fact that you can handle and compare multiple guns at once and the extra $100 is money well spent.

and what is it that one person thinks they have SO much more than everyone else that everyone else should be jealous of them? nobody on here knows what I or anyone else has or makes for a living.....hate to get into it, but it just baffles me.

And what does THAT have to do with small gun shops closing ??

I'll bet that you have a stupid haircut, too !!

Yeah, and I'll bet that your breath smells and you don't love JESUS !!

You know Mom liked you BEST !! Yeah !! I'm just getting STARTED !!!

and what is it that one person thinks they have SO much more than everyone else that everyone else should be jealous of them? nobody on here knows what I or anyone else has or makes for a living.....hate to get into it, but it just baffles me.

I guess you cant read the posts. Every post i reply to one person always has to bring up my deer farm and believe it or not..My hair. This thread again had nothing to do with either yet someone seems to feel the need to bring both those items into the thread.

I made the statement that they must be jealous because they have neither and they bring them up time after time in threads that have nothing to do with either. Has nothing to do with what someone makes for a living.

And what does THAT have to do with small gun shops closing ??

I'll bet that you have a stupid haircut, too !!

Yeah, and I'll bet that your breath smells and you don't love JESUS !!

You know Mom liked you BEST !! Yeah !! I'm just getting STARTED !!!

in case you're wondering,I have a crew CUT....and my breath breath smells like JESUS...and don't bring my MOM into this because that brings up too many bad memories!!

I guess you cant read the posts. Every post i reply to one person always has to bring up my deer farm and believe it or not..My hair. This thread again had nothing to do with either yet someone seems to feel the need to bring both those items into the thread.

I made the statement that they must be jealous because they have neither and they bring them up time after time in threads that have nothing to do with either. Has nothing to do with what someone makes for a living.

yes, I see the childish posts, and I can see through all that B.S.......but all too often you bring up jealousy, and that has me baffled. I have no doubt that you have a pretty good handle on deer and what works and doesn't, so why get into the nonsense?

yes, I see the childish posts, and I can see through all that B.S.......but all too often you bring up jealousy, and that has me baffled. I have no doubt that you have a pretty good handle on deer and what works and doesn't, so why get into the nonsense?

Your 100% right but it gets a little old reading the same crap time and time again.   

Few shops I visit around me are doing fine, but none of their inventory was hurt much by SAFE.

Bigger problem is ATF.

They are making hard for gunsmiths to stay in business with regulations and inspections. 2 smiths I have used are both done and moved on.

This isn't in NY either.....Texas (ya that great land of freedom for gun owners) and Oklahoma.

• Like 1

I would think that most of these small gun shops who have now gone out of business were probably floundering well before the SAFE act. The problem is that the big stores have taken things over and have put many small hardware stores out of business. The reality is how many guns does someone really need? Yes, there are some who like to buy many, but these people are in the minority and won't be keeping the small shops afloat forever. A typical hunter probably has enough guns already to hunt with the rest of his life, and keep his grandkids hunting with them 50 years from now. A .30-06 made 50 years ago is no less deadly than one made today. With the minimal of care a gun can last several lifetimes, so that is the death sentence to many gun shops in my opinion. Selling only ammo won't keep anyone afloat for long, and this tactical gun stuff is nothing more than a fad that is fading fast. The difference with bow shops is that archers change equipment more than some people change socks, so they are probably doing better than the gun shops. For the time being anyway.

Edited by steve863

Many of the small shops get their ammo from Beikirchs so if Beikirchs can't get the ammo , they can't either .

Beikirchs has been a real surprise and disappointment to me since all this shortage stuff started. Yes, I can see them getting caught with their pants down when all this "shortage" stuff first began. But of all the firearms and ammo suppliers around, I would have expected them to be the first ones to recover. I do have to wonder how much of their stock is heading to their PA store instead of the East Rochester store. And I have to wonder just what future plans they have for their NYS store ..... or not! If they go under or move out of state it will be a huge victory scored by Cuomo and his anti-gun crew.

I would think that most of these small gun shops who have now gone out of business were probably floundering well before the SAFE act. The problem is that the big stores have taken things over and have put many small hardware stores out of business. The reality is how many guns does someone really need? Yes, there are some who like to buy many, but these people are in the minority and won't be keeping the small shops afloat forever. A typical hunter probably has enough guns already to hunt with the rest of his life, and keep his grandkids hunting with them 50 years from now. A .30-06 made 50 years ago is no less deadly than one made today. With the minimal of care a gun can last several lifetimes, so that is the death sentence to many gun shops in my opinion. Selling only ammo won't keep anyone afloat for long, and this tactical gun stuff is nothing more than a fad that is fading fast. The difference with bow shops is that archers change equipment more than some people change socks, so they are probably doing better than the gun shops. For the time being anyway.

I have yet to see a gun shop that's worth its salt that is or was empty. They generally are a pretty lively hub of commerce. There never really seems to be a glutted or saturated market. But the proof is in the pudding. One trip to the Bass-pro shops, the new Field and Stream store, Beikirch's where there are times that you can hardly find a place to stand, shows how frenzied the gun and ammo sales really are. Rows and rows of guns on display, and who knows how many hundreds back in other rooms as well as people walking out the door with them, tells me there absolutely is no shortage of demand. But look at all the empty shelves where ammo used to be, and you can see a problem. It's not a shortage of demand, but a shortage of product. Big box chain stores can gut there way through, but for the small mom & pop gun stores, every aspect of the business becomes important. And failure to sell ammo, and become lethal for them.

And then too I wonder how many gun shops were stuck with product that Andy and Co. arbitrarily made illegal. That probably didn't help the bottom line too much. And what you call a fad (tactical guns) was just simply a positive design response to a huge demand, very much like the advances in archery equipment that works so well and are essential for bow shops. Tactical guns did not disappear because of consumer disinterest. That market was swept away by the arbitrary stroke of a pen by NYS legislators. Not only was the market swept away, but it appears that we have also lost a huge production facility (and jobs) because Andy and cohorts felt that they know what's best for us.

• Like 1

Even though the small gun shop in town said that business has dropped off I do not think they will go out of business, there prices have always been as good or at times better then the big box stores and have not ran out of ammo as far as I can tell,And have every type from the old soft point to latest plastic tipped and solid copper ammo of every major brand.They might charge $.50 to $ 1.00 a box more for ammo but it would cost more to drive 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to one of the bis stores to buy it .A good part of there business is from people coming up to there properties from down state or out of state, who must pass many of the big box stores on the way up.