Recovery Rates - Stick vs. Compound

moog5050

Mike Knefley (sp?) got too greedy towards the end & Denton Hill became a huge money grab. He wouldn't even let vendors shoot W/O paying the high entry fees. It was the vendors that made the shoots. Vendors got little time to shoot & all of the other shows allowed us to shoot free of charge.

Seems I remember hearing that...........

I only went to the traditional shoots at Denton Hill but I understand they put on a huge one for the compound guys too in September IIRC??

I was at Hawkeye for their first couple shoots but then lost interest.  

I'm relatively new to shooting trad and instinctive.

I've stuck with shooting both eyes open, right handed, and left eye dominant.  Any you experienced trad guys here think that's weird and I should change do to foreseeable problems?

Second, I shoot one up and two under.  I've found I'm more consistent and can feel the string better with a thinner Damascus glove.  Anyone relate to this?

I've stuck with shooting both eyes open, right handed, and left eye dominant.  Any you experienced trad guys here think that's weird and I should change do to foreseeable problems?

Second, I shoot one up and two under.  I've found I'm more consistent and can feel the string better with a thinner Damascus glove.  Anyone relate to this?

I shoot better with both eyes open.  Tried aiming by looking down the arrow and it just didn't work for me.  BUT, I am not very experienced either.  Other than changing to a LH bow, not sure you have much choice.

That is exactly how I have always shot...left eye right handed...which is why I shoot instinctive still....besides I love having the "full view". There is still an aiming point..but after a while one can just pull up...loc in and shoot...the aiming point for me is the tip of the arrow to where I want it to hit....all these years and I can now come out of the woods in near dark conditions...walk past my target set...Noc an arrow... turn at any yardage and shoot...The next day I pull an arrow within 3" of center...I think the biggest difference is height and close shots...That takes more practice ..for me at least

I too am right handed, cross dominant eyesight, keep both eyes open & shoot W/split fingers. Not crazy about thin gloves. I feel that a stiffer leather on the string fingers allows for a smooter release.

I found that a lower anchor point helped a bunch with a left dominamt eye. I used a kisser button in the corner of my mouth which put my actual split finger anchor @ my jaw bone.

I too am right handed, cross dominant eyesight, keep both eyes open & shoot W/split fingers. Not crazy about thin gloves. I feel that a stiffer leather on the string fingers allows for a smooter release.

I found that a lower anchor point helped a bunch with a left dominamt eye. I used a kisser button in the corner of my mouth which put my actual split finger anchor @ my jaw bone.

i'll have to try to kisser button and see how that works.  right now i'll draw top finger to the corner of my mouth, the first knuckle of my thumb touches the point/corner of my jaw bone, and my bottom finger along bottom of my jaw by my chin.

... I focus on target and nothing else but i'll notice the blurry arrow and arrow tip are pointed toward the target.

Edited by dbHunterNY

... I focus on target and nothing else but i'll notice the blurry arrow and arrow tip are pointed toward the target.

That is true instinctive shooting.

Using the point as an aiming reference is "gap" shooting. I tried it once, Great for known distances over level ground, but horrible for hunting or stump shpooting.

I wouldn't worry about recovery numbers overall I would just worry about myself, if you get to the point where you feel comfortable, I say go for it.....no way any of us can be 100% sure of the outcome when we release an arrow regardless of whether it comes from a recurve or compound bow....but there is no doubt that the term "trophy" will take on a whole new meaning if you take ANY deer with traditional archery gear.

• Like 2