DEC reports

the blur

Did you get the DEC reports of arrested hunters !!!!

I can't believe all the morons out there. 1 guy shot a Moose !!! 100's arrested for poaching. Loaded gun in vehicle very common. Road shooting, trespassing, and a load of other shiiit I could never imagine doing.

And if you read the fines, they are a complete joke. The guy that took the moose got a slap on the wrist. The system is pathetic. If the fines were real, and jail time was serious, a lot of this would not happen.

DEC Region 6 Environmental Conservation Police 2014 Hunting Season Report

The 2014 regular deer season (Oct. 25 through Dec 16, 2014) concluded with a total of 353 hunting-related enforcement actions reported by Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Region 6 Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs). Region 6 covers St. Lawrence, Jefferson, Lewis, Herkimer and Oneida counties. ECOs ticketed numerous poachers for violating hunting and firearm laws and regulations during the big game hunting season.

"Environmental Conservation Police are diligent at enforcing hunting and trapping laws to ensure suitable populations of deer, bear and other wildlife," said Regional ECO Captain, Todd Richards. "While the list of offences may be long, it also shows that the thousands of people who hunt do follow the laws, appreciate the privilege of pursuing game and enjoy their sport safely and responsibly. The majority of men and women who hunt and anyone who enjoys the outdoors will not hesitate to give our offices a call to report potential violations of environmental law, in particular those which apply to fish and wildlife."

Region 6 ECOs charged 228 individuals with a total of 353 total charges. The charges included 171 misdemeanors and 181 violations. The breakdown of the charges include:

• 60 charges pertaining to the illegal taking of big game (55 m and 5 v);
  • 5 possession of firearm during bow or muzzleloader season (m);
  • 12 discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling (m);
  • 2 discharge of a bow within 150 feet of a dwelling (v);
  • 5 Penal Law - criminal possession of a weapon 4th (m);
  • 71 firearms related charges (loaded gun in a motor vehicle, shooting from roadway) (m);
  • 103 tickets related to tagging, reporting and licensing (v);
  • 5 charges for hunting with the aid of bait (v);
  • 38 trespassing on posted property (v);
  • 4 take deer with an artificial light (m);
  • 12 use of spotlight with an unsecured gun or bow (m);
  • 1 feeding bears (v);
  • 11 feeding deer within 300 feet of a road (v);
  • 6 false statements charges; 5 Penal Law and 1 false statement applying for a license (m);
  • 14 hunting after hours (v); and
  • 4 additional charges; hunting with barbed broadheads (1 v), hunt big game with semi-auto firearm holding greater than 6 rounds (1 v), and take deer with implement not specified (2 m).

One additional charge of illegal taking of a moose resulted in a civil compromise agreement in the amount of $1200 for the misdemeanor plus a $2.50 surcharge. The individual also pled guilty to hunting deer without a valid license and as part of a conditional discharge donated $125 to a decoy fund and paid the $75 surcharge.

Anyone with information about potential illegal hunting practices or other environmental crimes is encouraged to contact DEC's 24-hour dispatch hotline at 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267).

DEC Region 9 Environmental Conservation Police 2014 Hunting Season Report

Since the start of the regular deer season through the end of the late special muzzleloading season (Nov. 15 through Dec 16, 2014), Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs) in Region 9 report a total of 294 hunting-related enforcement actions, in addition to responding to approximately 430 calls for service.

"Enforcing hunting and trapping laws helps to ensure suitable populations of deer, bear and other wildlife in the region and throughout the state," said Regional Environmental Conservation Police Captain Frank Lauricella. "It also ensures that the large majority of law-abiding hunters are provided with fair opportunity to pursue game that these poachers are taking. We appreciate the thousands of hunters who consistently adhere to hunting regulations and guidelines, and who pass on the traditions of safety, responsibility and conservation to the next generation."

Of the 294 charges issued, 89 were classified as misdemeanors and included the illegal taking of deer, discharging firearms within 500 feet of dwellings, shooting across roadways, possessing loaded firearms in vehicles, using spotlights at night to hunt deer, hunting after closed hours and others. These charges carry potential fines of up to $2,000 and up to one year in jail.

Officers also issued tickets for 205 violations including trespassing, hunting over bait, improper tagging, hunting without a license, transport of untagged deer, hunting in the wrong Wildlife Management Unit or in a closed area, and others.

Officers investigated one hunting-related shooting incident (HRSI) involving property damage within Region 9 during this year's big game season; consistent with last year, zero incidents occurred involving personal injury. In addition to responding to a high volume of calls for service throughout the hunting season, ECOs in Region 9 also served a significant role in emergency response efforts during the severe November snowstorm.

Anyone with information about potential illegal hunting practices or other environmental crimes is encouraged to contact DEC's 24-hour dispatch hotline at 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267). Region 9 covers Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties.

So many idiots so few ECO's!  He shot a moose!!!  Unreal.  Way to many driving with loaded guns and shooting from the vehicles.  I take these reports with a grain of salt as some officers write tickets for anything to make them look good.  Most are valid but some get caught in the wrong spot at the wrong time. 

I'm not familiar with R6, but there must be some serious red necks up there to shoot a moose in NYS !!.   And not even have a valid deer license.   $1200 fine !!.  So he'll do it again next year.    They should confiscate all his firearms, as per the safe act, and maybe that will teach him a lesson.

So what's the point of these releases really?

-Is the DEC trying to justify payroll by showing they have done SOMETHING?

-Is it meant to be a deterrent to potential violators?

-Is this just for entertainment purposes? (bathroom literature and forum discussion)

-Is it an indication of what areas of enforcement the DEC needs assistance with?

-Maybe it's just a list to choose which violation you're most likely to get away with when you compare the odds?

-Is it of ANY importance that WE see this information for ANY real reason or am I missing the point?

Out of all the hunters in any given region of NY every season, these violation #'s seem EXTREMELY low to me.... but that doesn't really matter none since I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of this data anyhow. ;)

-Is this just for entertainment purposes? (bathroom literature and forum discussion)

-Is it an indication of what areas of enforcement the DEC needs assistance with?

-Maybe it's just a list to choose which violation you're most likely to get away with when you compare the odds?

-Is it of ANY importance that WE see this information for ANY real reason or am I missing the point?

Out of all the hunters in any given region of NY every season, these violation #'s seem EXTREMELY low to me.... but that doesn't really matter none since I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of this data anyhow. ;)

maybe it's to appease the people who whine and complain that they do nothing...I'm sure they get calls from all the crybabies who accuse them of doing nothing, so they put it out there for them to see. Looks to me like a lot of enforcement is done for what they have to work with, and all that on top of the nonsense calls they have to answer as well.

maybe it's to appease the people who whine and complain that they do nothing...I'm sure they get calls from all the crybabies who accuse them of doing nothing, so they put it out there for them to see. Looks to me like a lot of enforcement is done for what they have to work with, and all that on top of the nonsense calls they have to answer as well.

That's what I couldn't understand was why everyone seems so excited with anticipation of this big release.

I could see if it had names of offenders on it so you could bust their balls, but this is useless even for that.

I almost feel like I should grade it and send a copy back so they can pin it to the fridge back at DEC headquarters,lol

post-233-0-00563200-1423345074_thumb.jpg

Reasons for reading these reports: All of the above plus it is just plain interesting to see just how much illegal activity that some people are caught at in your vicinity. Now if they would just apply some of the statistical hokus-pokus, and work up total "corrected" numbers that comes up with a guess at the real numbers of total game-crooks we have in our midst .... lol. Now that would be interesting. Meaningless, but interesting. It might be some shocking numbers.

• Like 2

Reasons for reading these reports: All of the above plus it is just plain interesting to see just how much illegal activity that some people are caught at in your vicinity. Now if they would just apply some of the statistical hokus-pokus, and work up total "corrected" numbers that comes up with a guess at the real numbers of total game-crooks we have in our midst .... lol. Now that would be interesting. Meaningless, but interesting. It might be some shocking numbers.

I would guess that for each person caught, there is at least two who aren't.......and that's being generous.