9 Year Old Boy Shot in Orange County

SteveMcD

Its a sad event, but not what I would call an accident. Too many people acting irresponsibly at once. Shooting at movement, having a 10 year old driving deer, crawling through thickets, etc etc. I wish the kid all the best, and hopefully he learns a big lesson from all of this. Hopefully all of the people involved learn a lesson, and the shooter needs some time to sit and think about it.

Thanks for the details Ron.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you put your kid in one of the most dangerous hunting situations. Driving deer is probably the worst way to hunt. I think back years ago when it was more popular how many guys we went out with and close calls that happened. My kids come in the woods at times when pressure is low, period. If they need support is there a foundation set up we can send to?

I hear these stories every year and it is very sad.  The only thing that i can come up with is they are shooting into the brush with know idea of what they are shooting at (obviously).  Guys you can't get caught up in the moment you have to KNOW your target.  Don't shoot into brush at something moving.  I know it sound harsh but the shooter is an idiot.

Burt, a hunting site local to that area is doing a fundraiser.  There is a thread about it in Gen. Hunting and this is the link  to the fundraiser http://www.hudsonvalleysportsman.com/index.php/topic,2112.0.html

Thank you. A little girl was killed a few years back by a hunter (doing some stupid things) and they set up a fund raiser and it really helped the family. It's rough this time of year, any amount helps.

ok so here I go. I know you all have been waiting for my commentary.  The shooter is not a hunter, he is a killer. A hunter would have 100 percent identified his target an what is beyond it.  The kid took his hat off, so he go shot.  Just proves my point again that all shooters look for is orange.  If it isnt, orange, it is shootable. If the kid was tangled up in brush and thicket, the orange would not have helped, as I doubt it would have been seen. He took his hat off.  Did he throw it 200 yards away from him, I doubt it. Maybe we should make driving deer illegal, or make walking in the woods illegal. Deer drives are only as unsafe as the people participating in them.  If there are close calls, then it isnt the fault of the drive, it is the fault of the person who wasnt paying attention. We used to hunt state land and make drives all the time.  No one wore orange, and no one ever came close to shooting anyone. Come on, somewhere along the line the guy pulling the trigger needs to be responsible for his own actions.  We can not make stupid people smart or safe.  That being said, I am going to go to the link for the fundraiser and send 100 dollars in the spirit of the season, and it is the right thing to do.  There is one kid who will never hunt I am willling to bet.  Such a tragedy.

addendum: after reading the posts on the fund raiser forum, I am sending 200 dollars.  They can use it.  Not looking for praise or thanks, more of a challenge to other members

Bubba that's awesome thanks. Hey don't make that bet or lose  :)

When my buddy (the guy running the fundraiser) met with the family there is no doubt this strong little guy will hunt.  He said he is looking forward to be old enough to hunt.  Tough little boy!  If it happened to me screw it, I' be done and taking up fall fishing ;D

no disrespect, but it I would stillmake the bet.  he may say now that he is stil wanting to hunt, and honestly I hope he does.  But when it is time to go to the woods, his phyche may not allow it.  As stated, I hope he does.  I know getting shot would deter me.

Excellent Bubba! This little guy has a long tough road a head of him physically and mentally. His family needs all the help we can give them right now. Maybe just maybe with the care and attention we as sportsman are giving to this boy and family we can make a difference as to the future hunter he may become and more importantly the future person he may become!

• 2 weeks later...

This was just posted the other day, it is from David the young boy that was shot!  His Aunt also posted that David asked if they could take the beagles out and go rabbit hunting last week.  Bubba, glad you didn't bet?  ;D

hellow fellow members this is david calabrese the 10 yr old boy who was shot during the rifle season i would like to thank everyone who donated and supported myself and family. with out all of your donations and support we would of been in worse shape then we were.i would also like for everyone to know that my freind who accidently shot me had shot a deer first not knowing i was down below him .this accident has not change my thoughts about hunting i cant wait till i am able to get back out there you all made it possible for us to have a great xmas thank you all . i would like to thank ron very much for taking up this task of helping out a up and coming hunter thank u so much i would like to wish all of u a happy new year and a safe one