Liberal Thinking Interesting......

The U.S. government, which has "Tomahawk" cruise missiles, and "Apache," "Blackhawk," 'Kiowa" and "Lakota' helicopters - and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the Washington Redskins.  Really?

• Like 2

You do know the term 'Redskin' is a slur, while the other things are objects, tribe names or people, right?

To parallel your example, to name something Pizza, Napolidan, Roman, Sicilian, Venetian or Columbus is fine, however, WOP or Grease-ball would be offensive.

• Like 4

The U.S. government, which has "Tomahawk" cruise missiles, and "Apache," "Blackhawk," 'Kiowa" and "Lakota' helicopters - and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the Washington Redskins.  Really?

Yes, isn't it interesting how the conqueror gets to co-opt the language and imagery of the vanquished but when it suits their agenda, they weep crocodile tears.

My opinion is the same as soogard. For the lonegest time i thought it was ridiculous that they wanted the team name to be changed. But then i heard a great convo about it on espn radio which made me think differently. redskin is a slur to native americans. I would be totally against the new york degos. Imagine the san francisco chinks or san antonio wetbacks. Etc. You get my point. all slurs and i support the changing of the team name.

• Like 1

So naming objects of death..destruction and war..names of tribes and native american hero chiefs is Ok..not degrading in any way...hmmmm I see..

So you're saying what? They everything should be renamed and that just the slur doesn't go far enough?  I'd like to hear your fellow conservatives respond to this.   :popcorn3:

I believe I was clear in what I was saying..I will suppose the weakness of your response..reveals that clarity...nothing further is needed

I didn't post a response, I asked for a clarification since I perceived your statement as being very 'liberal' and 'politically correct', which is unlike your normal stance on just about anything.  I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting your punctuation-challenged writing style correctly. 

As for your actual opinion, although you are taking it to an extreme I don't share, we are on the same side of the argument. I'll leave it to Papist or VJP to challenge you, though I have a feeling they'll let it slide. 

• Like 1

And of course liberals never understand the concept of context in these matters. When a team calls itself redskin or something similar, the idea is to channel the theme of fierceness and the warrior spirit. There is no racially negative connotation involved. Now, driving through the res and shouting redskin at the locals would have a completely different intent. The usage in both cases is therefore not comparable, although I have heard this argument used to promote the dropping of the team name.

I was somewhat on the fence on this issue, but then I heard that the public meetings in Lacawana NY, were deliberately squeezing out people in favor of keeping the name, and the Delphi consensus technique was being used in the round table discussions after the speaker presentations. This information caused any sympathy I may had have for the native arguments to vanish in a second.

Edited by Papist

So naming objects of death..destruction and war..names of tribes and native american hero chiefs is Ok..not degrading in any way...hmmmm I see..

I believe I was clear in what I was saying..I will suppose the weakness of your response..reveals that clarity...nothing further is needed

Their goes yet another point sailing away.

Maybe this response is "strong" enough so that the "point" will not go sailing over your head.

Maybe WNBA franchises should have named some of their teams with gender slurs. How about the New York Whores or the Chicago Bitches or maybe even the Minnesota C****s.

Do you understand what a "slur" is now?

I just can't understand how REDSKIN is a slur, while "WhiteMan" or "Paleface", or even "Redneck" is not considered a slur..

I guess it's a good thing that I'm getting older and won't be around much longer..

I'm just getting SOOO tired of this " Politically Correct" bullshit.

• Like 2

I just can't understand how REDSKIN is a slur, while "WhiteMan" or "Paleface", or even "Redneck" is not considered a slur..

I guess it's a good thing that I'm getting older and won't be around much longer..

I'm just getting SOOO tired of this " Politically Correct" bullshit.

Maybe if you were Native American you might understand how it is a slur to them.

BTW; I believe Pale Face is a slur that was used by Native Americans & Redneck is also a slur to those that might not glorify the lifestyle. Slurs are usually instigated by the users, not the persons being slurred.

Edited by wildcat junkie

That was the best you could come up with?  :rolleyes:

According to one guy and some unnamed friends, on a change.org petition.  You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here, huh?  :rofl:

Mr VJP spends a LOT of time @ the bottom of the barrel. In fact, it appears to be one of his favorite habitats.

I won't address this latest rant..other than to say you should read more...

Oh, before one of you enlightened ppl pull the bigot card..my grandmother (maternal)was of the Tuscaoran tribe. Paternal grandparents from Ireland..Aunt married polish...I certainly know what slurs are.

Every time I have to look into liberal stupidity, I have to go to the bottom of the barrel.  That's where they all live.

Why is it the team has suddenly been pressured to change it's name when it's had the name since the beginning?  Liberals are really slow if it took them this long to decide it was an outrage.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Every time I have to look into liberal stupidity, I have to go to the bottom of the barrel.  That's where they all live.

Why is it the team has suddenly been pressured to change it's name when it's had the name since the beginning.  Liberals are really slow if it took them this long to decide it was an outrage.

Just curious. How long does it take you to climb up to the bottom of the barrel when you are seeking the (relative) enlightenment of liberal stupidity?

Such a monumental undertaking must be exhausting.

Just curious. How long does it take you to climb up to the bottom of the barrel when you are seeking the (relative) enlightenment of liberal stupidity?

Such a monumental undertaking must be exhausting.

How does one climb "up" to the bottom of a barrel Junkie?

One must slink to the lowest level of human waste, requiring great fortitude, in order to try and understand the mental disorder that emanates from such garbage. 

• Like 1

I'm sooooo tired of this "conservative political correctness". Anything that doesn't fit their tunnel vision perspective is a "rant".

Again & again their reactions to any differing opinions as a threat prove the scientific findings of the study that was quoted in POST #62

Edited by wildcat junkie