Trout season

Dom

I don't why you guys have so much trouble Trout fishing opening day, I always fish opening day in a little creek in Wyoming county called East Koy Creek.

And I almost always have the whole creek to myself.

Good fishing too!

Even fished Alan Lake a couple times with no problems.

I love the Koy, it gets better and better as the season goes by. They continue to stock it late, lots of 2 year olds

I don't why you guys have so much trouble Trout fishing opening day, I always fish opening day in a little creek in Wyoming county called East Koy Creek.

And I almost always have the whole creek to myself.

Good fishing too!

Even fished Alan Lake a couple times with no problems.

Not any more! LOL

• Like 1

What bait do you all find more effective in cold water?Spinner's fly's or live bait.I myself seem to have better luck using rooster tails or pheobies in colder waters.When waters warm up then I use only live bait's and never use plastics

What bait do you all find more effective in cold water?Spinner's fly's or live bait.I myself seem to have better luck using rooster tails or pheobies in colder waters.When waters warm up then I use only live bait's and never use plastics

When I was a kid my dad's buddy turned me on to bright color sponge....i use that till flies hatch heavy then start using flies mainly....unless not fly fishing in wich case rooster tails and dare devils are what I use..

beaver kill but not till the last week of April. Not a lot of people on the stream in mid week, and by then may have several hatches on the water.

Took Rt. 28 to down state during the week the Eusopus in Pheonica was very low and brown water.

I do not Bait fish to offen, mostly fly fish. But when I do I have had Best luck with butter worms.

Hands down best for trout. In my (opinion).

-John

I do not Bait fish to offen, mostly fly fish. But when I do I have had Best luck with butter worms.

Hands down best for trout. In my (opinion).

-John

John I have never heard of butter worms. are they like meal worms?

One of my fishing buddies fished Seneca Lake yesterday for perch.

Surface temp was 36.5 degrees. Considering all of the snow/ice water that is running into the creeks right now, the temp can't be much above the mid/high 30s...

John I have never heard of butter worms. are they like meal worms?

Dom..Butter worms are a moth larva. They are similar to wax worms, but somewhat bigger, perhaps averaging an inch in length.

My experience with them is that that work well for stocked trout. I have used them very successfully for stocked rainbows and brookies.

However, for wild and holdover brown trout, I have never used anything that works any better than earthworms. Small to medium sized crawlers, hooked once through the collar with a #6 hook and just enough shot to keep the bait drifting along the bottom without hanging up too often.

• Like 1

Corn is the best bait for stockies. It reminds them of the pellets they are fed at the hatchery. I prefer the Double Luck brand from Wal-Mart at $0.49 per can. What can I say, I splurge a little when it comes to trout fishing.

Corn is the best bait for stockies. It reminds them of the pellets they are fed at the hatchery. I prefer the Double Luck brand from Wal-Mart at $0.49 per can. What can I say, I splurge a little when it comes to trout fishing.

Carp too...i actually tied some imitation corn pattern flies for carp and trout

From what I read on the DEC web site it is .I myself had the same question but I guess its better to call your local DEC office that is what I'm going to do.When I looked up info corn is in the bait list they have still not sure.

Common corn is legal anywhere that doesn't specify fly fishing only or artificial lures.

However, the evil "assault corn" has been restricted under the "safe fishing" act and can only be possessed on a trout stream if it is registered, and then only in quantities of 5 kernels or less.

• Like 3

Pygmy I have been searching for this info for several years where did you find this info?I was told that corn was not legal by many local fishermen/lady's.Also the dec guide is outdated.For example in my area it only shows some stream's/creeks the Wappinger being the biggest but we have many others here.

Pygmy I have been searching for this info for several years where did you find this info?I was told that corn was not legal by many local fishermen/lady's.Also the dec guide is outdated.For example in my area it only shows some stream's/creeks the Wappinger being the biggest but we have many others here.

I was just being a smartass, Dom...<< blush >>...

To be honest, I really don't know, but I have never heard of it being illegal, although I have never used it for trout or even SEEN it used for trout in NY.

I used to use it as carp bait. I know it is quite popular in Virginia as trout bait, as evidenced by the empty corn cans that the rednecks discarded along the creek bank while they were fishing.

I was just being a smartass, Dom...<< blush >>...

To be honest, I really don't know, but I have never heard of it being illegal, although I have never used it for trout or even SEEN it used for trout in NY.

I used to use it as carp bait. I know it is quite popular in Virginia as trout bait, as evidenced by the empty corn cans that the rednecks discarded along the creek bank while they were fishing.

The Dec fishing guide shows it in their list of baits to be used but this could also be a trap.I use a mixture of cornmeal and red food colloring for carp.Those empty cans were to hold the shine/drink LOL.

• Like 2

I've used corn in NY and PA for years and have never had an issue with anyone saying it is illegal. It looks like the powerbait stuff on the hook. And if you get hungry, you have a snack to pop in your mouth. Caught plenty of fish on it as well.

There is a small stream by the house and the kids and I hit it in summer with corn. We've caught sunfish, bass, trout, and suckers. Try it sometime.

I'm getting nervous that the water won't be warm enough for there to be a lot of fish up Naples creek yet. Cold days and colder nights, no warm rain, only a little snow melt runoff. They don't like low 30 something degree water too much. Maybe a tough opening day, but it's a tradition either way.