Bowhunting Practice

Doc

I shoot year round. I have a place in my back yard that ranges out to 60 yards I practice from 10 to 60 yards in many different ways. Elevated, sitting, standing. I also try to set target up in realistic was such as putting targets on the other side of trees or brush I also practice in the wind, light rain, warm and cool temps. One thing I have never done thou in a real situation is shot a deer past 45 yards there is just to many unpredictability’s in the long range shoot and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Being a tradional bowhunter and hunting all deer seasons exclusively with a longbow. I practice and shoot all year round. In winter I generally practice once or twice a week, when spring comes it's every other day till hunting season, I target shoot, shoot 3D and stump shoot often. My practice is 95% on Form. If the form is right the bow will take care of the rest. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot at least 4 days a week . The max distance I can practice safely in my back yard is just over 35 yards . I have a 10' high ladder stand that is 30 yards from my backstop and have a 3-D plus a home made target that I can move around The digital thermometer read 97 degrees at one point today and it is forecasted to be in the 90's the next 3 days . I don't thin I will be shooting .

• 2 weeks later...

I take the period of Jan Feb and March off as we go south to Myrtle beach for the winter. When snow goes off in Oneonta, I check out my 2D's and 3D's target, file in holes, repaint were required and then get them ready for shooting. It takes me about 2 weeks of work. I have a total of 17 shooting location on 26 A's. I have it so each shooting location Has two targets and two stakes.  The closer stake is less than 25 yards, for traditional archers and the longer ones is from 20 to 37 yards on the average shot. I shoot 3 times a week on the average. I have two compound younger buddies that we shoot on the weekend  and have one 74 year old buddy that we do not miss a middle of the week shoot together. I also go to shoots at Whitney point, and also Oxford. So I try to keep up my archery skill, but now at my age it all just for fun.

I have to say I start in Aug. and I shoot almost as well the first time as I did in the last season. These new bow are pretty darn good. Now i often guess distance as i walk my dog year round, but shooting does not start till Aug

I shoot in  my yard out to 40 yards, fieldpoints and broadheads,then go up on  my roof as we get near the season and shoot just braodheads from there, even though my FP's and braodheads fly the same....

Oh I also work out year round, lots of chin ups,dips,deadlifts and so on so " building up my bow muscles" is not much of an issue.

I also shoot DURING the hunting season .

Doc the old 80,70,60,50 walk up from the NFAA days. My first bow was a browning 70 inch bow in 35 lbs and 1816 alum arrows. When I would shoot the 80 yard I think I held on the top right limb of a tree in back of the target to hit in the 5 ring.... I now have a big bad target setup in back of the house and shoot 25, 35, 45, and 55 yards.  Hey in all the years I never have had to shoot over the 25 yard pin on any bow in 40 some years of bow hunting...