Bowhunting Practice

Doc

I was just curious about the practice habits that members use. I know some shoot year around and even belong to winter and summer leagues. For me I generally drag the bow out about August and then practice sessions are a few times a week generally for an hour or two for each session. As October gets closer and closer the sessions get more and more frequent and longer. Generally during the season, I still need more fine tuning as things start getting colder and more clothes have to be piled on (That always affects my shooting).

So what kind of routine do you guys get into to stay sharp for hunting season?

Doc

I always say I am going to keep shooting in the off season, however other hobbies and jobs (The wife list) get in the way.  I was planning on going to the range next week, and I'd like to at least go once per week, then kick it up to two times a week in august.  I think I am going to get a different release this year, so I'll need some more practice anyway.

Hey ..... summer is a super busy time of the year when we try to cram all those warm-weather activities into an all-too-short summer. So I understand what you are talking about. I have one other problem to deal with. The stinkin' bugs will pick you up and carry you right back out of the woods where my archery range is. It really is pretty hard to concentrate of shooting form when a mosquito or black fly is munching on your neck. They don't ease up until about August. That is when I start practicing in earnest.

Doc

I'm a "down stater" as they say :) So I have to go to a range, unfortunately if I whipped out a bow in my backyard the cops would probably come and I just dont have the room to be safe.  However, there is a nice range about 1 mile from my house, that has both 3D and standard targets.  Although I do bring my bow when I go to the property, and I also has a friend that has a sump next to his house and we go in there to shoot.  I was upstate last weekend, the bugs were annoying, they were swarming if you stood still.  Its amazing how they follow you everywhere and anywhere. 

I dont usually shoot all year thru. after the season ends I give it a few months and pick up the bow again in april.

normally moderate weight lifting for shoulders, biceps , lats, and triceps help while at the gym but when im home i sometimes like to take a 20lb weight in each hand and just try to hold it elevated as if it was my bow and I was in draw with each weight  with a slightly bent elbow and bent arm behind my head... ..Ijust hold it there and try to be very very still.. Usually while watching Tv.  for about fifteen minutes on and off.. and thats it..

Try doing that for about a minute.. its not easy, but it keeps some of the muscles a little tone while not in the routine of drawing a bow.

regardless to say, when i started in april and every april i always get the slight soreness until i wake all the rest of the muscles up from slumber..

after about 3 times at the range , your right back to where you left off.

@ bullseye !

After the season, I will pack up the bow for a little while, but during the winter I might pull it back out an shoot in the basement. From corner to corner, I can get 20 yds., but I have to put the basement ion "lock down" mode so no one comes in during my practice.

During the summer, I set up a couple of bag targets (30 & 40 yds.) in the back yard and shoot from my elevated deck (about 15'). I don't put in long sessions, but I do shoot 4 -5 times a week for 15 minutes. I will increase the frequency as the season gets closer, but I actually shoot fewer arrows/session really concentrating form. When it gets to October, I put out a buck target and will shoot only 1 arrow/session with the theory that I will only get 1 shot and no warm ups when the season starts.

I have a range set up in the basement for winter shooting. I can get a 15 yard shot. I just use smaller bullseyes to compensate.

Outside, behind the house, in the woods, I have a range that's marked out in 10 yard increments from 10 yards to 80 yards. I don't use the super long yardages all that much. They are kind of a carry-over from my NFAA competition days. The range is lighted from 30 yards in.

Doc

No, I don't do a whole lot of practicing beyond 30 yards anymore. Those shots out to 80 yards were from back in the 80's when I used to shoot the NFAA competitions. They had a few of these long distance shots which I actually did get fairly good at. Those longer shots are kind of the tie-breakers. They are fun to do, especially with a recurve. You do your best to set up and execute the shot and then you just watch the arrow go and go almost like in slow motion. It seems to take forever to get down there to the target. However, some of the other competitive archery organizations have competitions where archers shoot out to 100 meters. Great fun!

Doc

Usually I shoot most of the year, except when its just plain frigid in Jan thru early March. I shoot mixed distances between 10 and 60 yards. Im pretty good out to 50, 60 gives me trouble because I just dont shoot it much and I only shoot a 3 pin site. I plan on getting a 4 pin on my next setup. I shoot both in my back yard and at a range a few miles from my place where they have a great 3D setup with an elevated shooting tower and the whole 9.

I may shot or draw the bow a little in the off season but I start up in March/April and start light. Maybe Once or twice a week and slowly I build into shooting almost every day. By fall it is every day and for extended periods of time too. I just love shooting the bow.

20 yard backyard range. I can use the driveway for up to 30. But 20 seems to be the norm. Elevated platfrom (shed roof), DIY target made from those foam blocks that will stop a broadhead. And a 3D deer target. I'll usually slab about a dozen shots then take a break due to wrist problems. So if I am tuning or just feel like picking up the Bow it's there, and so is the grill ;)

I can shoot as far as my bow will shoot in my back yard.

Plus a friend of mine has a shop with a 30 yd range 4 miles from me.

So I shoot at least a couple times a week year round - sometimes a 100 arrows,

sometimes only a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 tree stands set up in my yard, 1 at 40 yards and 1 at 60 yards. I like to spend spring and summer practicing from these distances because it greatly improves my short game. After shooting 12 arrows from 60yds I have to be careful not to "robin hood" damage my arrows from 20 - 30 yards. I am also now using an arm guard all the time, as I will in hunting season simply to prevent my bowstring from hitting loose clothing and altering my shot.