Let's get some opinons (deer eradication)

Caveman

No problem. I agree that something needs to change with the way they count deer, but like I said, we are on the down slope of the plan to downsize the herd. The tradition of handing out large numbers of DMPs is a relatively new one, and I dont think it can really be called a tradition, more like management plan. BTW, did you notice the percentage of DMPs that get filled? 16%.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice that the success rate on the filled permits is low, however we can't forget that these are just the reported ones.

Who knows how many deer are actually killed every year?  Be it hunters, predators, accidents or enviromental.

Hopefully the winter won't be too bad this year and the deer will come through in good shape.  I know by me we could really use a good crop of fawns over the next year or two.

I did notice that the success rate on the filled permits is low, however we can't forget that these are just the reported ones.

Who knows how many deer are actually killed every year?  Be it hunters, predators, accidents or enviromental.

Hopefully the winter won't be too bad this year and the deer will come through in good shape.  I know by me we could really use a good crop of fawns over the next year or two.

yeah, you dont know howmany dmps were filled and NOT reported...

Or the number of bucks killed by hunters/poachers.

Or the number of bucks killed by hunters/poachers.

this is true too... we have threads on that topic  and im sure there are some factors the DEC throws in to fill those voids and compensate for the non reports.

No problem. I agree that something needs to change with the way they count deer, but like I said, we are on the down slope of the plan to downsize the herd. The tradition of handing out large numbers of DMPs is a relatively new one, and I dont think it can really be called a tradition, more like management plan. BTW, did you notice the percentage of DMPs that get filled? 16%.

That 16% success rate is telling. You would have thought that the success rate would be much higher.

If the DEC really wanted to down size the deer herd by increasing the number of does killed they could implement more drastic measures such as doe days and mandatory killing of a doe before being able to kill a buck.

• 2 weeks later...

That 16% success rate is telling. You would have thought that the success rate would be much higher.

If the DEC really wanted to down size the deer herd by increasing the number of does killed they could implement more drastic measures such as doe days and mandatory killing of a doe before being able to kill a buck.

I have read about the low success rates on DMPs before, and some of that may be true or flawed for various reasons, but I know from past personal observation that when the DEC decides to down-size the herd, the antlerless permit system is definitely up to the task when they decide to flood the area with DMPs. It works! Sometimes too well ..... lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if they shot that many deer 80? most would have to be done during the hunting season,that means someone(maybe not the neighbors) got a legal deer!! The dec doesn't issue that many permits for nuisence damage. One of my neighbors insist that my group kills all the deer and thats why he doesn't see any. (we average 5-8buck and 10 doe a year) on my property...his belief is we shoot everything we see.. noothing could be further from the truth. When i bought my property in 93 i found 12 winterkilled deer in the spring, i had no undergrowth everything was nipped off 4 inches off the ground. The population needed to be thinned.  I can imagine the damage 80 deer would do in an orchard rubs, eating buds, knocking apples down.... Are there less deer on my property than in 93' yes, are they healthier yes, and as a bonus we see more buck instead of 15-20 doe running by. The dec can only give broad permits out for a large area 2-3 towns in a management unit. If your not seeing the deer numbers in your area you want to  see don't fill your doe tag! the population grows very fast! and if your getting damage from the deer shoot more doe ...no tags invite more hunters sounds like that is what happened on this farm.  I know they didn't kill all the deer there,sounds like the neighbors need to put/create some habitat to keep the deer on their property, not complain that a farmer let a bunch of people hunt their land.