Decoys...yay or nay?

ATbuckhunter

I'd agree with you that the Jake may have spooked him. I have a Jake, but I don't use it because I'll gladly shoot a Jake given a chance & I don't want to risk intimidating him. I could see it spooking even a big tom if he's not in a fighting mood.

Edited by Skillet

I'd agree with you that the Jake may have spooked him. I have a Jake, but I don't use it because I'll gladly shoot a Jake given a chance & I don't want to risk intimidating him. I could see it spooking even a big tom if he's not in a fighting mood.

I'm right there with you.......although two years running I had Toms come right to the Jake and Hen setup, even pulled him away from the Hens he was already with on one occasion. But, probably gonna just stick with Hen decoys for now on.

There are a lot of brands and models out there, and I have used a bunch except the very expensive ones such as DSD, etc. The Feather Flex brand made some a while back that were very life like, and I still use their hen and jake decoys till this very day. Only had one instance, many years ago, in which a "Jake" spooked at the decoy set-up. Decoys add to the illusion of the hunt. Gobbler hears a hen(you) and comes it seeing a decoy which he thinks was the hen making the calls. I always carry mine with me each time I go afield.

I bring a nesting hen, feeding hen and jake with me. they're light and i have a bag to carry them. I prefer to set them up. Sit for a while, and then I'll get up and move. They work for me. Not a fan of the Tom decoy... that doesn't seem to work for my skill and land I hunt.