Check Out Winchester's Quality Controlm

http://concealednation.org/2015/04/video-gun-safety-101-treat-every-firearm-as-if-it-will-malfunction/

If the striker is still cocked (as indicated by the trigger pull/striker fall after the discharge on closing) that means that the firing pin must be jammed forward, protruding from the bolt. The bolt is functioning like that of a Thompsom sub-machine gun or a BAR, firing on closing.

I wonder what would happen if the slide was closed slowly? Can you imagine a semi-auto with that defect?

Hit the button to close the bolt & it would full auto until the magazine was empty. Since pumps & autos usually share most of the action parts within a manufacturer, bolts, trigger groups, etc, that would be quite plausible.

SCAREY!

Edited by wildcat junkie

A "Winchester" made in Turkey is not a WInchester.

I'll take the Model 12, thank you.

CZ-USA as well Dehann imports O/U and S/S shotguns that are made by Huglu in Turkey. The Turkish are making fine quality firearms WHEN the contracting company demands it. It's the same same old American corporate culture. Poor leadership from the top trickles down to poor products for the consumer.

CZ-USA as well Dehann imports O/U and S/S shotguns that are made by Huglu in Turkey. The Turkish are making fine quality firearms WHEN the contracting company demands it. It's the same same old American corporate culture. Poor leadership from the top trickles down to poor products for the consumer.

DeHann and Huglu's are okay, but some are crude and run of the mill. Compare the "journeyman" S/S turned out by them today compared to an entry-level low grade A.H. Fox, Lefever, Parker, or L.C. Smith of yesteryear and there is no comparison.

DeHann and Huglu's are okay, but some are crude and run of the mill. Compare the "journeyman" S/S turned out by them today compared to an entry-level low grade A.H. Fox, Lefever, Parker, or L.C. Smith of yesteryear and there is no comparison.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

The point is, the Turks can make high quality guns. It is the low level of quality that American corporations are willing to accept from Eastern European contractors in the name of increased profit margins that is dismal.

I have seen & handled the various Baikals and they are absolutely horrible. The Russian made Steven S/S that was marketed a few years back was a POS too.

Winchester should have had a closer watch on things. For that sort of defect to slip by is inexcusable & in my opinion, it reflects even more poorly on the Amercan Winchester management than the actual manufacturer.

Take bicycles for example. With very few exceptions, they are all made in China. There is a huge quality gap between Chinese made bicycles W/Specialized, Trek, Fugi or other top names and those of the various big box brands.

I'm not condoning offshore manufacturing, rather condemning Amercan corporate mentality that is willing to sacrifice quality of those offshore products to increase profits.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

And in case you think that their firearms are the only things that have quality control problems, check out these Winchester .270 bullets that I bought:

post-11-0-92199100-1429626717_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-73507400-1429626752_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-29594200-1429626795_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-24397200-1429626818_thumb.jpg

What a fiasco I had trying to get them to make good on the cost. fact is that I lost a bunch on the two boxes.

First of all, I had to box them up (2 boxes of 20) and ship them back to them (no reimbursement & the shipping costs were huge) then they sent me coupons that were only good for more of their crap products. By the time I got done, I lost money, time and aggravation. Somewhere along the line, that garbage had to have caused some problems along the production line, and yet that garbage got through to the store. I finally had one that would not even chamber and then I saw what the heck was going on.

Inexcusable garbage.

• Like 1

And in case you think that their firearms are the only things that have quality control problems, check out these Winchester .270 bullets that I bought:

attachicon.gifbullets1.jpg

attachicon.gifbullets3.JPG

attachicon.gifbullets6.JPG

attachicon.gifbullets7.JPG

What a fiasco I had trying to get them to make good on the cost. fact is that I lost a bunch on the two boxes.

First of all, I had to box them up (2 boxes of 20) and ship them back to them (no reimbursement & the shipping costs were huge) then they sent me coupons that were only good for more of their crap products. By the time I got done, I lost money, time and aggravation. Somewhere along the line, that garbage had to have caused some problems along the production line, and yet that garbage got through to the store. I finally had one that would not even chamber and then I saw what the heck was going on.

Inexcusable garbage.

That's why I reload as much as I can. When I do buy factory ammo, I buy Federal. I figure since that's all they make, they will be more quality conscious. I recently ran some Federal "Fusion" 7mm-08 ammo over my chronograph & I was impressed W/the extremely consistent MV.

For .22rf, I buy CCI standard velocity LR. I also use CCI primers and I don't use any Wichester/Remington components except for 30/40 Krag brass which is Winchester. I don't have much choice in the Krag brass, it's either Winchester or Remington.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I cleaned a Century Arms Coach Gun for a customer recently. It was new, barely shot, and already had a cracked stock extending three inches behind the receiver tang. It had a suspicious bulge at one muzzle that the owner couldn't account for, or 'fess up to. The wood-to-metal fit was deplorable, exhibiting a 3/8" gap between the forend and forend metal. Hammers felt weak, triggers were mushy, yet the gun surprisingly went bang. I doubt it will ever make it through more than a case of shells before succumbing to parts flying off it. It's made in China. With this you get what you pay for.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_1230/products_id/70780/CIA+12+Ga.+Coach+Gun+wHammers+Side+by+Side+12+Gauge+3

Of the big 3 companies that make ammo (Federal, Remington, Winchester), over the years I have found that Winchester is the worst by far.  As far as I know they still make it here in the good ole USA, so just because it's made here doesn't mean that you are getting a quality product.  They can make products just as crappy here as they could in China and elswhere.  And what makes it worse is that you will pay considerably MORE for the crap made here.

That's why I reload as much as I can.

Oh I do too. But whenever I buy a new gun, I generally will pick up a box or two of factory loads just so I can immediately get out and do some shooting. That's how these pieces of trash came to be in my possession. I hadn't even bought any dies yet.

Winchester should have had a closer watch on things. For that sort of defect to slip by is inexcusable & in my opinion, it reflects even more poorly on the Amercan Winchester management than the actual manufacturer.

I'm not condoning offshore manufacturing, rather condemning Amercan corporate mentality that is willing to sacrifice quality of those offshore products to increase profits.

Winchester is owned by FN and has been for some time....

They own Browning and a half dozen other small arms makers as well as marketing military arms as FN Herstal.

Edited by Dinsdale

Wow that's kinda scary.... In reality This could happen with any firing pin.

Kinda puts things into perspective.

Not a properly designed & manufactured firing pin. This is just totally shoddy design, workmanship and quality control.

No excuse.

WOW!!!  Imagine if that poor SOB killed someone or himself? I was a big Winchester fan, but I got a bad feeling when I found out that some of their guns were being made in Turkey. I won't own a new one.

WOW!!! Imagine if that poor SOB killed someone or himself? I was a big Winchester fan, but I got a bad feeling when I found out that some of their guns were being made in Turkey. I won't own a new one.

There archons fine quality guns made in Turkey. DecHann & CZ SxS & O/U are fine examples. There is some junk too. I looked at a Kahn once.

Turkey is at the same level of craftsmanship today as what Spain was in the '70s. There were some excellent double barrel shotguns produced in Spain.

This is on Winchester & I doubt that the parent company FN would have let this kind of junk get on the market if it had passed directly through their hands.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Shot my sons today with no problems,I banged the butt stock on the ground and tried to make it go off,but the gun worked perfectly,I have to check to see if the serial number is in the batch thats recalled so far no hic ups...

Shot my sons today with no problems,I banged the butt stock on the ground and tried to make it go off,but the gun worked perfectly,I have to check to see if the serial number is in the batch thats recalled so far no hic ups...

It isn't a striker fall that is doing this. The safety works in that respect. You need to check to make sure the firing pin is rebounded by opening the bolt & running your finger over the face to see if the firing pin us protruding.

My thought is that the OD of the firing pin is just enough larger than the ID of the hole in the bolt that it gets jammed & doesn't rebound. That's about the only way that the action can fire on closing W/O a striker fall.

There archons fine quality guns made in Turkey. DecHann & CZ SxS & O/U are fine examples. There is some junk too. I looked at a Kahn once.

Turkey is at the same level of craftsmanship today as what Spain was in the '70s. There were some excellent double barrel shotguns produced in Spain.

This is on Winchester & I doubt that the parent company FN would have let this kind of junk get on the market if it had passed directly through their hands.

I know some good quality stuff comes out of Turkey.  But when I think Winchester I think old American firearms quality .I remember , as a kid,  hearing all the old timers praise their Winchesters and  I think of the old  hardware store tin signs of guys in knickers heading out, to the field,  with their Winchesters. No doubt it was good stuff. 

Im too nostalgic.

It isn't a striker fall that is doing this. The safety works in that respect. You need to check to make sure the firing pin is rebounded by opening the bolt & running your finger over the face to see if the firing pin us protruding.

My thought is that the OD of the firing pin is just enough larger than the ID of the hole in the bolt that it gets jammed & doesn't rebound. That's about the only way that the action can fire on closing W/O a striker fall.    

I well look into that tonight thanks...

Edited by ny hunter