Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

What a fun morning and a great hunt...I started to do a few tree purrs and yelps just as I could see light skies over the canopy. I was at the cardboard blind where I got the Tom last week...set up tom and feeding hen decoys...Well I had 2 Roosted hens,100-150 ft away that cutted and putted and yelped to me for 15 mins or so. I did a fly down flap and cackle and they followed suit out to just below the ridge to promptly come back up and head my way. I managed to keep those girls  20 to less than 10 yrds from the blind cooing, purring lightly yelping for over an hour!...they'd move away and I would call and they'd come back to stare down the hen...or I'd call out the back window and they'd come over to look down the hill....I had those two so excited on the roost it was a non stopped yelling match between us...Man! what fun but no other Toms or Jakes showed up and those two did some real pretty yelping and purring...I wont deny being very proud of my calling today...but now my throat is hoarse dry and scratching...I felt bad for them...and a bit concerned nothing showed up or called back, and let them slowly feed their way through the woods and out of sight...May have been too many turkey hunters this year on the hill.

Hhhmm hunting neighbor next door was out and we were talking...he is between us and the new guy...well new guy came over and he asked him if he'd gotten any turkey off the new place...nope not a shot...Really?  I need to go back through the posts to see how many times I mentioned them shooting over the last 2 wks

I heard a bunch of hens on the hunters place...they nest there...but didn't see any thing or hear any Toms...I will go out a time or two more but will have to see a few Toms before taking a shot....Too busy for camp...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Nothing here.sake as last weekend.I here some hens but not one gobble.I think I am done for the year with all the stuff I have on my honey do list growing.Maybe once or twice more but that's it.I like the reward of the bird but the gobbling and seeing them strut in gets me more excited than anything

Just had a hen work through the deaks n started talkin to her, got her yelpin , she worked off down the feild yelpin back n forth and fired a gobbler up , bad news is she was headed his direction , couple minutes later he popped out an off they go together , shucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had great action but I still can't get the big boys off the hens. Even this late. Thursday I watched  2 hens tow away a nice tom. Never got closer than 80yds or so. I have called in the same 2 scrawny jakes twice now. They barley have beards. Trying again in the morning. Im going to try a little different approach….AGAIN!

Good luck to all the die hards..

Good luck guys. They aren't done yet!!!

I had plans to take my wife out this morning but she's got strep throat.  Took a drive around but didn't see much. Stopped at a spot where I saw a gobbler and hens last night...didn't see them in the field...blew on the crow call 4 times and got him to answer 4 times. He sounded hot.  I hope to be after him in the morning...that farm has gotten virtually no hunting pressure this year.  Supoosed to take my buddy out who leases the property. We'll see...

Imo put the calls down for a bit. They'll remember you and area you were in. Work em in a little while and let curiosity get the best of them. Sounds like some action out there today. Brother had hen beat the crud out of his decoy this morning. I'm working so you guys enjoy the woods for me today

• Like 1

Ya I went silent too, too bad for the second fricken day in a row had a dog with a beeping tracking collar come runnin through , sniffed the decoys n left .... Even left a courteous note yesterday on the car saying it was turkey season and if they wouldn't mind bringing the dog out till 11 or so ... The note tday will not be so nice ... As I picked my stuff up and circled around to the other side of the wood lot , there was the tom n he ran, dammit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get away with it, and you haven't packed it in yet, do a big semi circle, switch calls and give a few yelps in a different pattern then you have been using. Then just wait a half hour or so. Maybe give an occasional cluck.