Unethical or amazing?

Five Seasons

If someone believes that God guides their arrows and bullets,thats ok with me. But I think I'll keep practicing myself. And I would not be a good mentor,to give the young hunter the green light to shoot when he did. I would have waited for a clear shot at one deer.

And I will be the first to tell ya. I make mistakes and learn from them.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

Unethical! Not smart at all!

This is an older vid, but what if this was a shotgun hunt using buckshot? "Just shoot into the group son, your bound to kill something!". What's next, hunting with grenades?

The religious issue....I am not touching that. 

Since you asked, here's the "Bible Buck" story: It was opening day afternoon of gun season a few years ago. I am a meat hunter primarily and had taken a button-buck in the morning (my wife really loves those), plus a friend had given us another. They were both decent sized (about 75 lbs field dressed), and now hanging in our garage. Our family of four's meat supply was very secure with those and a couple "nuisance permit" does, a neighbor had provided earlier. It was very warm that afternoon and I really didn't want to deal with more meat, but I wasn't going to skip the afternoon hunt.

It had sounded like WW 3 behind our house that morning. with all the other shots I heard besides the one of my own, but I didn't hear any across the road. I thought I could spend a quiet afternoon in the middle of the big woods over there, reading the Bible up in my stand. The stand was in a pine tree above a thick patch of brush. As the minutes of legal daylight ticked away, I saw nothing but another hunter sneak by at the far edge of the woods. Then, when there was 5 minutes left, the Bible fell out of my hands.

I made a "safety-mistake", and climbed down the tree with my loaded slug-gun in my right hand. Just as I reached for the Bible with my left hand, a flock of turkeys landed, some only feet away. I was wearing bright blaze orange cammo. I glanced at my watch (stickler for the "rules") and there were still 2 minutes of legal daylight. Suddenly the buck's antlers, head and neck appeared from behind a bush, just 10 yards away. I fired a slug at the base of his neck, dropping him there in his tracks.

Certainly that hunt was not "by the book", but you might say it was "with the book". Had I not dropped it when I did, them turkeys would have spotted my blaze-cammo from a mile away. The buck was wise enough to travel with them and capitalize on their keen eyesight, while they tolerated him for his nose. Together they enjoyed a nearly impregnable defense. He was finished after his line of turkeys was breached however.

That was the most venison we ever had up to this year, when I got some more of that "Holy-help" filling the freezer. Practice, Smactrice, I'll just try and keep things right with the man upstairs and let him worry about how things turn out. It definitely works for me. You cant loose with him on your side.

Practice, Smactrice......Really! And you call yourself a hunter? Your statements are some of the most asinine I've heard on this forum!

I can respect a man for what he believes in. But I have no respect for someone calling themselves a hunter while making shots guided by devine intervention!

• Like 5

Sarcasm?

Exactly. It wasn't intentional and that part bothers me... But not as much as it being a young kid.

LOL..Call it what you will but i am sure if every bowhunter in area 8H does this fall what this kid did in the video the DEC will have a big smie on their face! But ya..with bait and deer stacked up like that you will get things like this!

Step one is to believe in Jesus. Step two is to be like him, the one and only man who ever walked the earth without making a mistake. The shot was clearly a mistake so he would not have taken it. The kid and father both did wrong, but it sure looks like they were forgiven based on the successful outcome. Funny how that often happens after you make it to step one. Now they can get on to step two and do better the next time. Amazing is what I call it.

I'm catholic. My second son is being baptized tomorrow, I don't need a lecture. If you're Christian you would also know he's not a wishing machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I can say in my early years I made questionable shots and would be hard pressed that most if not all of you have had a shot where you said Damn I should of waited or not taking that ,, it's part of learning unfortunately IMO

NOT EVERYONES PERFECT

Very well said. I still make mistakes. I think the father being there is what bothers me.

Very well said. I still make mistakes. I think the father being there is what bothers me.

What bothers me is that (unless it was done off camera) the father never corrected the son on the mistake. He almost sort of somewhat praised him for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SO THIS turned out the way I expected...I'll admit I do seem to be wired differently...My viewing of that video certainly reveled more than a poor shot decision.Perhaps because I listened and watched..

Not being a religious person..in that thank the heavens ,I DO Not BELIEVE IN ORGANIZED RELIGION.So I could take Wolco's first post as a simple statement of belief. The belief that a higher power guided things to a good out come. I Suppose no different than my belief that asking for prayers and good thoughts for yesterday's forecast to change from cruddy to the beautiful day we had worked.

Two concepts that inevitably lead to "hater fests" Ethics and Religion. Amazing really,the power of two words to turn what are probably descent people into total ...hhmmm -icks..I'll leave it up to you on how to fill in the blank.

Ethics has no bearing on that what so ever..unfortunate yes...But this was a kid and his very first hunt...you could hear tires on gravel and see the deer turn their heads to look. You could also hear his Dad saying shoot...yes he was filming and we can see the deer behind the doe to be shot ..but I still can't say I know his perspective on the situation...I do know I heard a bit of disdain in his voice even though he praised his son...Why leave a bad taste in the kids mouth right at his first hunt...let a bit of time pass and ease into the subject of not shooting at "stacked deer" .Make him understand before the next hunt. He taught his sons not to push a wounded deer and to go back and do their best for a recovery....Lord I don't say this often in questioning ethics ..but please pull back those rubber side line arms...your really reaching on this one....

Dad clearly said "now now", and kid pulled the "trigger". Both unethical IMO.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems