Now they want your guns locked up when not in use. Define "use".

Their heart is in the right to protect kids, but kids need to taught to not touch any firearm and assume that it is loaded too.

Willing to bet most of the incidents were involving handguns and not long guns.

They will probably screw up the way it is written and the first responders (police, sheriiff's dept, etc)  will not be exempted with regards to their service weapon.

If I lived anywhere that jailbreak, I would probably keep something unlocked and available for quick use and a couple rounds for it stashed nearby.   I happen to have a LEO and a judge for neighbors, if something does occur, it is a quick response on my block.

Maybe im wrong but i thought all pools needed to be fenced in...

I think out off all the useless laws this is one i could get behind. I cant imagine any responsible gun owner not locking up their firearms at all times if children are in the house. Two adults at home you can do what you want. But anyone who knows kids can attest to the fact that no matter how many times you tell them something, they will test the limits. All people should handle firearms as if they are loaded but once in a while you get lax and thats when things happen.

Anytime i read a story about a kid getting their parents gun and shooting it i always blame the parent for not using all safety precautions.

More kids die drowning in swimming pools every year, but I don't see them pushing a law requiring a locked fence around pools.  Their hearts are black and full of hatred for firearms.

Pools DO require locked gates/fences. 

Otherwise, this is ridiculous. 

I agree that if you have children in your household, your firearms need to be secure.  But that's your responsibility as a parent, not mine or anyone else's.   

Maybe pools need to fenced and locked in NY, but not nationwide.  And I see quite a few pools in NY that have no fence or locked gate on them.  Guess they don't go after those folks with threats of prison like they do gun owners.

Maybe pools need to fenced and locked in NY, but not nationwide.  And I see quite a few pools in NY that have no fence or locked gate on them.  Guess they don't go after those folks with threats of prison like they do gun owners.

Nationwide, I have no idea.  I think the same lax enforcement of locked pool gates is indicative of the level of enthusiasm and enforcement we would see on this, especially anywhere north of Westchester.

I never thought I'd say this, but you do raise a fair point here.  The "use" is debatable.  I don't have kids.  But I do have guns.  They repose horizontally on the walls of my study.  I rather like the look of them there.  When they're not in my hands while hunting I feel they serve an aesthetic purpose, or "use".   

My concern is the time required to get them into action in an emergency, like a sudden home invasion with the front door getting kicked in.  You could walk around the house with a sidearm "in use" even with kids around, but a long gun would take time to unlock.

I read this law as saying even when no kids are in the home, they have to be locked as well.  That's going too far as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 2

There is a requirement that pools be fenced in and locked (above ground pools can use the wall as part of the fence).  I suspect that is easier to enforce than a proposed rule requiring firearms to be locked up when not in use.  The proposed rule would likely only be an issue after the fact - i.e. when there is an incident - child gets ahold of a firearm or one is stolen because its not locked up. 

In the introduction to the legislation, the bill’s author noted that in 2011 in New York, 60 children under the age of 18 were hospitalized with an accidental nonfatal gun injury.

I would like to know the details of these facts, if they are even facts.  What exactly were the specifics of these accidental shooting cases?  How many were drug related?  Gang related?  Illegal gun cases?  What were the actual ages of the so-called "children"?  Were most of them 15 to 17 years old?  Victims of drive by shootings?  Inner city shootings?

The point being, if there is a problem with 15 to 17 year old drug users and gang members in inner cities shooting each other, why are we putting a burden on all of the state's responsible gun owners because of it?

It's a rhetorical question.

I'm not sure its as simple as a bunch of drug dealing grade schoolers wild westing one another. 

When I was a copy editor of our local paper accidental shootings seemed rather common.  Maybe not every week, but certainly every few months or so.  I can think of 2 offhand in the last year in my area alone.

There is genuine concern here without question.

More kids die drowning in swimming pools every year, but I don't see them pushing a law requiring a locked fence around pools.  Their hearts are black and full of hatred for firearms.

local zoning in many suburban townships require it out this way.

there are many readily available and economical quick access safes and devices out there that will allow you plenty of access to your defense weapon. And if you really need quicker access a holster would be the safest bet. I for one do not agree with having loaded weapons around the house. I understand we all don't have kids, but could you say 100% that you may never have one visit?

Another prime example of refusing to implement any safety measures and then getting all up in arms when some kid shoots his brother and more anti-gun legislation is passed.

Why can't WE, the gun owning community do our part in preventing it in the first place?

Responsible gun owners DO their part in preventing these things.  We just don't believe it is the government's place to FORCE us to do something we feel may not be justified, and possibly even dangerous.

There are no children in my home, but if one comes over, my firearms are secured.  The law has no business telling me they need to be secured when no children are in my home.  There are penalties in place for irresponsible gun owners that are the cause of a child's injury or death.  Laws that try to "prevent" everything bad from happening are the realm of a Police State.

The law will probably exempt law enforcement personnel, and they are often the one's who leave their loaded guns within reach of kids who have accidents.

Edited by Mr VJP

Blue states do not believe in the US Constitution being the law of the land, nor do they believe in Rule of Law.  The horrifying part is, they seem to be getting away with it.

It took the SCOTUS over 30 years to find Washington D.C.'s gun control laws to be unconstitutional.