Shorten the NY Gun Season?

sherlockgael

Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?

• Yes-1 week
    • Yes-2 weeks
    • Yes-Staggered 1 week Nov 1 week Dec
    • No-Leave it as is

Well looking backwards what about Sunday hunting that was outlawed years ago. We all didn't have to deal with this but the western counties did. We all too easily forget about that. Did it influence deer take, I don't know do you? It did cut down four days of hunting out of the season. Any thoughts about that? It was a shorter season.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only thing that hasn't been suggested so far is a management scheme that allows buck harvests only every other year or so. How about that one? That gets a bunch of deer past the 1.5 age, creates an older strata of bucks, helps balance the gender ratio, blah .... blah .... and so on and so forth and all those other neat buzz-words. By golly before long, we would have those out-of-state hunters begging to come into the state and hunt our monstrous bucks. Every other year doesn't cut it? .... make it every 3rd year. And then we can make buck season separate and keep it down to a 2 day hunt. We could actually expand the doe season.  Before you know it there would be a "booner" behind every tree. To satisfy the reduced opportunities for the bowhunters and gunners, we'll just jam a crossbow in their hands and maybe increase the antlerless permits and they will never know the difference. Everybody's happy .... right? By the way, let's hope we don't hear anybody say, "by golly that's a heck of a good idea!".  ;D

Doc

That is actually the best idea you've come up with yet!!... and it still stinks ;D

Yeah, the whole thing kind of satisfies everything that everyone is trying to do with these off-the-wall deer management schemes. I think it fits well with all the hack-job ideas regarding gun seasons. Best of all, it winds up taking opportunities away from hunters which is the common thread that runs through all these proposed deer management plans. ;)  I figured it had to be a winner on this thread. ;D 

They may be off the wall to you, but a lot of others don't think so. As far as taking away opportunities, there will always be hunters that feel slighted somehow .. even if everything is left alone... that shouldn't be a huge criteria when coming up with something that works well for the deer.

I'd be the first to oppose anything that wasn't good for the deer herds.. so far I haven't heard any GOOD arguments against QDM style management plans. Not being able to take the buck you want doesn't wash with me, because they are currently taking away my right to shoot a buck with 2 -7/8" antler without burning up a doe tag ;)

do you want the logical solution to this whole thing? Step right up ladies and gentlemen, I will tell you.  I guarantee you will see more deer.  Pay more taxes so the dec can hire officers to nail the illegal poachers and hunters.  If no illegal deer were taken, there would be lots of deer.  In other words support the dec to do the job we pay them for. Yeah complain about how they do nothing and wont call them etc.  If there were enough of them and they were held accountable, they would do the job, but you have to do your prt also.  Report all illegal activity and police yourselves.  Stop the illegal hunting, you will have plenty of deer running around.

Honestly I don't think they will do much of changing. More time with the crossbow after 2011 season is about it. This my opinion, It's pretty much OK the way it is, I enjoy the opportunity N.Y. offers me to harvest my deer.

Yeah, that's kind of where I am too. I see no reason to scramble seasons. Maybe something could be improved, but just coming up with something different is not the same as coming up with something better.

As far as taking away opportunities, there will always be hunters that feel slighted somehow .. even if everything is left alone... that shouldn't be a huge criteria when coming up with something that works well for the deer.

Unlike us sitting at our computers, the DEC is in a position where it must not only manage the deer, but it has to manage the hunters. Their most important tool that has no replacement yet in managing populations, is the hunter. Their whole existance involves a balancing act between managing the herd and maintaining their hunter base so they can manage the herd. I honestly believe it is that reality that explains their current position on AR.

do you want the logical solution to this whole thing? Step right up ladies and gentlemen, I will tell you.  I guarantee you will see more deer.  Pay more taxes so the dec can hire officers to nail the illegal poachers and hunters.  If no illegal deer were taken, there would be lots of deer.  In other words support the dec to do the job we pay them for. Yeah complain about how they do nothing and wont call them etc.  If there were enough of them and they were held accountable, they would do the job, but you have to do your prt also.  Report all illegal activity and police yourselves.  Stop the illegal hunting, you will have plenty of deer running around.

Bubba you kidding me? OK let's pay more taxes to support the DEC! Will I get a little decal to put in my window

that shows my support? Really-come on. Oh, maybe we should erect 12 foot walls along rt 17 to stop the road kill in the southern zone that will help also.

ok let the illegal hunters keep taking illegal deer. It is all about not spending any money I know but a miracle fix like better soil? I thought when you got your toes stepped on yesterday you pouted and said you were done.  What is your plan then?  We dont need more laws and restrictions. lets try enforcing the ones we have. Maybe you wont get a cute little sticker, but you will have more and better deer. 

Bubba,

We should all look at this as little pieces that help the bigger plan. Your idea would cost alot of money and really it could be spent better in other places. DEC is so strapped that even if they were to double or triple the staff to combat illegal poaching it wouldn't be enough. I never said a miracle fix was better soil, it helps grow bigger racks and better crops. Each little piece we push to help our deer in NYS is not the "fix all" but a stepping stone to a greater hunting experience in NYS. Happy New year all!

ok let the illegal hunters keep taking illegal deer. It is all about not spending any money I know but a miracle fix like better soil? I thought when you got your toes stepped on yesterday you pouted and said you were done.  What is your plan then?  We dont need more laws and restrictions. lets try enforcing the ones we have. Maybe you wont get a cute little sticker, but you will have more and better deer.

The sad thing is that we can expect funding for wildlife law enforcement to go in exactly the other direction. I agree this is becoming more and more of a problem. Any poacher or potential poacher is well aware that everything is pretty much in his favor already. They know how ridiculously stretched out our COs are. I think that added taxes are not the answer because the politicians steal those kinds of funds quicker than they can be generated. One thing that possibly could help out is the involvement of hunters in tipping off the authorities when they find out about violations. Other than that we are likely going to continue to see these characters stealing our resources and that kind of activitity is likely to increase.

Doc

well you totally missed the whole point. And the buck I harvested was an 8 point 17 1/2 inch inside spread 8 inch g2 190 pound bruiser. and you?  I love the downstate we matter more mentality, which is what my post eluded to.  And your reapinse just proved it.  My post was just a summary of almost every post of the thread.  Get off your horse and come back to reality.  I get one dmp every four years because I love in a one horse town.  That line made less sense than the rest of your post.  But whatever go with your delusion.  It seems to work for you.

The reality is i called you on your bullshit and you dont like it.

good job on your 8pt I droped a slamming 10pt, better luck next year fella

what bullshit?  I simply took all the whiner posts the I dont feel safe in the woods I dont see enough deer the population is devastated etc etc etc. The boo hoo poor me crap and stated it.  You guys say you cant hunt unless in orange etc etc etc.  It is nothing but competition.  How about a pic of this so called bruiser?  Mine are in the hunting pics.  Obviously the truth struck a nerve with you as you sure lashed out in ahurry. And we all know the guy lashing out is only trying to cover his own ass.  And btw, I have hunbted the sz a few times and elected not to go back.  Have you ever hunted in my area? I doubt it. We are way too backward hicks here. But you were sure quick to pass judgement on us.  I feel so sad for you and your narrow minded idiotic statements.  But as my dad used to say. Your mind is made up no sese confusing you with the facts. Happy New Year.

author=skyzmine link=topic=2896.msg35855#msg35855 date=1293833210]

Can't find a way to communicate without the profanity - including your signature?

[/quote

just shows the true character.  You will be a jerk for calling him on it

The funny part is your response here proved my point about competition.  You had to out do me in the competition.  But you keep saying it isnt a competition. Maybe soon, you will even believe it.

As far as taking away opportunities, there will always be hunters that feel slighted somehow .. even if everything is left alone... that shouldn't be a huge criteria when coming up with something that works well for the deer.

Unlike us sitting at our computers, the DEC is in a position where it must not only manage the deer, but it has to manage the hunters. Their most important tool that has no replacement yet in managing populations, is the hunter. Their whole existance involves a balancing act between managing the herd and maintaining their hunter base so they can manage the herd. I honestly believe it is that reality that explains their current position on AR.

I totally agree.. It is a balancing act and always will be .. but i personally think that the change would have to be drastic to decrease the numbers of hunters  to the point where it would be a problem.. I don't hunt or not hunt because of the rules in place, I hunt because I love it.. and I'm sure thats th case for most of the hunters here..any decrease in hunter numbers over the years is more related to social differences that regulation changes.

well you totally missed the whole point. And the buck I harvested was an 8 point 17 1/2 inch inside spread 8 inch g2 190 pound bruiser. and you?  I love the downstate we matter more mentality, which is what my post eluded to.  And your reapinse just proved it.  My post was just a summary of almost every post of the thread.  Get off your horse and come back to reality.  I get one dmp every four years because I love in a one horse town.  That line made less sense than the rest of your post.  But whatever go with your delusion.  It seems to work for you.

That wasn't my qoute-don't know why it came up with my name?????????

The funny part is your response here proved my point about competition.  You had to out do me in the competition.  But you keep saying it isnt a competition. Maybe soon, you will even believe it.

I did'nt out do you, you just did'nt follow your own advice, with ALL the deer you see and pass up.

I just did my homework, and my deer is posted in Bow Hunting, you just have to look for it like i looked

fot this 8pt you said you got, funny, i cant seem to find it.

I totally agree.. It is a balancing act and always will be .. but i personally think that the change would have to be drastic to decrease the numbers of hunters  to the point where it would be a problem.. I don't hunt or not hunt because of the rules in place, I hunt because I love it.. and I'm sure thats th case for most of the hunters here..any decrease in hunter numbers over the years is more related to social differences that regulation changes.

Absolutely, we are changing as a society and hunting I have to say is one part that is taking a hit. We as the statesman of this sport must do our part. Take a kid hunting and fishing. In some regions its worse than others but here in the NE it starts first. Like it or not.

I did'nt out do you, you just did'nt follow your own advice, with ALL the deer you see and pass up.

I just did my homework, and my deer is posted in Bow Hunting, you just have to look for it like i looked

fot this 8pt you said you got, funny, i cant seem to find it.

here is a link genius right in the hunting related pics as I said took me oh 30 seconds

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,2911.0.html