Shorten the NY Gun Season?

sherlockgael

Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?

• Yes-1 week
    • Yes-2 weeks
    • Yes-Staggered 1 week Nov 1 week Dec
    • No-Leave it as is

Voluntary QDM has taken hold here in NY some as well...I like the idea of rotating non-huntable acreage... not sure how many here in NY have that concept added to their program though.. I think the hunters like hunting over the food plots.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I thought this was a "shorten the Gun season" thread .

Anyway , I prefer to Bow Hunt over guns but ..... I think it would be unfair to the Gun Hunters to lose time in the field . I would also think it would decrease the hunter numbers even more and business' would lose money from the lack of sales to hunters .

The three properties we hunt in Virginia at 1,500, 2,500 and 7,000 respectively.  Tow are vineyads and the third is a cattle ranch.  In NY we have a lease on 1,800 acres.  However 100 acres of it is under a lake,  ;)  so we can actually only deer hunt 1,700 of it.  We use the three points on one side on that land voluntarily.  The herd is starting to improve over the four years we have been doing this.  I should also mention that the Virginia properties that make use of the QDM plan adhere to strict record keeping of aging and weight.  All qualifying bucks (better than a 15" spread) have a section of their jaw removed which are sent to the DNR office in Wincherster County.   

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a graph or chart that shows the number of deer taken on each day of the season. I know that some deer are taken on days toward the end of the season, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the numbers during the last week or so are probably quite insignificant. If I go by the number of shots that I hear during the last couple weeks of gun season, I have to say that shortening the season would be silly and would make almost no difference in the deer take. Those two weeks are just good P.R. for deer hunting and have more of a harmless effect of making hunters just think they are getting a better deal than they ever will actually take advantage of.

Has anyone ever seen any documentation that shows just how effective those last couple of weeks actually really are. I mean, this whole thread was based on the fact that shortening the gun season would have some real meaningful effect. I really question that premise. As a sales gimmick for hunting licenses, I think it is great and makes hunters think they are getting a great deal and perhaps that keeps some hunters from complaining too much about the current cost of licenses. But in reality I think it has a rather minor influence on deer take. And yes ..... I know there are all kinds of people who will talk about the deer that they got at the tail-end of the season, but I seriously would like to see some real numbers just to see if this whole argument is mostly about nothing.

I would guess that the deer take would be highest in the beginning of the season (obvious) then tail off in the middle and rise again at the very end... I think there is a sense of urgency by hunters to make that last push to fill the freezer at the end of the season.. especially to fill doe tags.. just a guess though

Do you really think it picks back up at the end of the season? I've got to say that at the end of the season around the valley here, it is pretty darn hard to tell there is even a season in progress. Generally the state parking lots are totally empty, and the woods are absolutely dead quiet.

That's why a split season would be better. Two opening days,more pressure greater take that's what dec needs deer take. Not opening weekend 50% of deer take then peterd through another 4 weeks ... A two week season with a week to 10 days off followed by another 2 week season would allow a greater harvest for both opening days,as the deer would return to a more normal pattern with the non hunted time inbetween

Do you really think it picks back up at the end of the season? I've got to say that at the end of the season around the valley here, it is pretty darn hard to tell there is even a season in progress. Generally the state parking lots are totally empty, and the woods are absolutely dead quiet.

Yeah.. I see guys grouping up and driving more deer at the end of the season here in Central NY.. especially the last weekend. But that's just here...

• 2 weeks later...

According to the survey 58% of people voting are gun only hunters and/or have the same level of undertsanding on our herd that the DEC does (?doesnt)

If you are referring to the 58% in the poll.. I am one of them and not a gun only hunter