Anyone order trees for spring?

I've been ordering for a while now. Planted 250 white spruce 3 years ago they look great. Did a mixture like your list last year. Real nice stuff from Saratoga. I do it every year and enjoy the planting! What would you recommend for a wet area that needs some cover for the deer?

Over the past 3 years, I've planted Sawtooth oaks, Gobbler sawtooth oaks, and Chinese chestnuts. There are no oaks on my property or any surrounding properties, so I went with the fast growing/heavy annual acorn producing sawtooth's. Figured I probably wouldn't live long enough to see any red or white oaks produce.

I like hybrid chestnuts as they produce fast 3-5 years and don't flower till july thus avoiding the frosts that have plagued my oaks and apples for the last 2 years. my oldest chestnuts are now 30ft plus and make almost a bushel of nuts a year! I still buy some every year but have made it a point to plant some of the nuts the last 5 years or so..  I forget where i've planted a lot(maybe old age creeping up on me) but seem to find them growing when i walk thru where i know i planted some..and i find some that i know must be from squirls relocating some nuts themselves. Going to plant some new spruce/fir trees this year as my pines no longer provide the winter cover that i am looking to provide.

• 1 month later...

FYI, I live 6 hrs from my camp. In the past if the order came to my house and I wasn't going up for a while I took cheap window boxes from Home Depot and planted the seedlings in some real nice dirt. They did real well. One year I got the order in the spring and waited till the fall to plant, boy did they really start to take off after a few months. The back of my Tahoe looked like a jungle when I brought them up. Your biggest concern should be while planting. Try not to let them dry out, it takes a while to plant hundreds of trees. Pick a cloudy day also. Anyone else have any tips they would like to share?

I have been researching information on certain species for example comparing oaks and crabapple varieties. I also picked up a real good field guide / book on identification. I'm also picking up on how some mast trees take half a lifetime to produce or establish. Well, who wouldn't want a few acers of mature oaks right? If you got the land and years to put into it sure, or lucky enough to land some property with oaks, or at least trees with a dozen years on them. One thing to keep in mind, the acorn. You may find some trees like the sawtooth to produce quicker but as I understand it have a more bitter acorn then a white oak. Not a big deal? Well do you Bow hunt? Consider the timeing in the zone you hunt. And are there any other mature white oaks close by? Close by work there are a few red oaks around one white oak. The leave differences give it away. Last fall I got to sort of watch which ones would get hit first as local wildlife sneeks in. Critters knew the difference and the white oak got hammered while the reds hardly got touched. Untill a few weeks later.

Just fyi before you invest into trees. I noticed in the saratoga Adarondak pack it would apear it's designed to help sustain wildlife, not nessesarily tuned for hunting.

At 47, and just getting into any of my own habitat managment / work, the reality is I probably would not see any return in trees unless I go the route of the apple variety.  :) 

Fantail, all very good points.  For the most part I will not see the rewards of my Oak plantings but generations after me will.  Soft mast trees definately produce faster than Hardmast and shrubs produce faster than trees for the most part.  No one looses by planting trees and shrubs :)