kayak recommendation

Merlot

The wife and I took a ride out to Allegany State Park and decided to rent a couple Kayaks. We had a lot of fun and want to buy. Any recommendation on where to go and look for decent Kayaks? Plastic, fiberglass, carrier for the SUV..Single person Kayaks ...not double...don't want to risk divorce.LOL

15 years ago I would have built a couple for you, with the appropriate husband/wife two-off discount. :rolleyes:

Oak Orchard Canoe & Kayak is where you want to go. Great people that'll help you get the right stuff. They even have a pond where you can test drive.

Happy paddling.

I have an Old Town fishing kayak 10ft., easy for me to carry and load my self and a well made sturdy vessel. I have soft carrier for the Marquis  and it works fine I do not drive far. ...I can't say about price it was on sale and basically free due to Gander points...I think the sale was 399 at the time...I got a full vest but will switch to the the smaller inflatable vests this next summer.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/vapor_angler_family/

Do lots of research. What is your primary purpose? For touring you want a long narrow hull for stability, speed & ease of paddling. For white water you might want something short & maneuverable. Fishing might indicate other features as desirable.

There are SOT & SIS configurations also. SOT (sit on top) might suit a fisherman better, while SIS sit inside would be better suited for touring.

I have a tandem folding model that is adaptable to a sail rig. It is capable of venturing far from shore in rough seas with the spray skirt & such.

This is my kayak with the sloop rig.

SailRigReadytoGo004-1-1.jpg

Sailrig012.jpg

This picture was sent from a fellow in Greece that sails a rig just like mine on the Aegean sea among the Greek Islands. He does tours with his Folbot Greenland II/Klepper Sloop rig outfit.

folbot_sailing_07.jpg

This is to just give you some idea of the extent of models that are out there.

On calm days we leave the sail rig in the bags & paddle.

OswegatchieRiverTrip005.jpg

OswegatchieRiverTrip013.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie

Is that a pryon? Those things are fast and very smoothe on the water.

If you are speaking of my Kayak, it is a FOLBOT, a design that was brought over from Germany in the 1930s & improved W/more modern materials & engineering.

While it is extrememly smooth, stable & seaworthy due to the limited flex that is inherent in the design, that particular model is geared towards cargo capacity for long range touring & just not all that fast. There are single seat models that are much more streamlined & therefore faster.

The wife and I took a ride out to Allegany State Park and decided to rent a couple Kayaks. We had a lot of fun and want to buy. Any recommendation on where to go and look for decent Kayaks? Plastic, fiberglass, carrier for the SUV..Single person Kayaks ...not double...don't want to risk divorce.LOL

Some sort of plastic should get the nod over fiberglass if you want to use it in swift currents. Fiberglas & rocks don't get along when there is any speed involved or it is difficult to maneuver around obstructions.

I've had this one for 5 years and love it

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4002650

Seat back support is not great but I stuff a foam board back there and it's very comfortable.

Good example of a SIS kayak. It won't be extremely fast due to the short fat shape of the hull.

Edited by wildcat junkie