rifle question

biggamefish

I have a Winchester 94 24" barrel. I have a scope on it (weaver classic).  I used to be able to hold 2" groups at 100 yards with it, using Rem core lokt 170 hp.  For some reason the gun has started to drift when shooting.

This first shot cold is always 5-6" high even after redialing it in.  After the first shot it walks 2-3 inches down in a straight line.  Left to right is minimal.  After about 2 times doing this in repetition (letting it cool down) it will hold a group.  Then I let it cool down and the whole processes starts over again with a high shot.

Yesterday I tried screwing the dials on my scope all the way in and out to reset the screws but that didn't help. I can't figure out what is going on and before I totally remove the scope I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas of what could be going on or suggestions to try to figure it out.

We torqued all the screws to the specified torque.  I am think the gun only because it is a pattern.  It starts high every time at 12 oclock above the bullseye then walks down.  If it was the scope I would think it would be all over the place not consistent.  I did get some new ammo and am going to try it this weekend and will let you know.   

New ammo same results.  It has to be the gun.  

traget.jpg

Hornady ammo 160grn 2 inches between shots and they always go back to the same position. It is like the barrel is pushing on something when it is heating up.  I cleaned everything and same results!!  I am shooting with a sled to.

Edited by biggamefish

How is the magazine tube attached to the barrel?  Can you loosen and retighten down the barrel bands.  These types of guns are the complete opposite of a free floating barrel like in most bolt guns.  MY 336 remingtons drift down a little bit, maybe an inch or a bit more.   Post a pic of the gun.  Barrels convert heat into pressure.  Hotter barrels will produce a bit faster velocity, which can make the group drift high.  The barrel is stretching while the magazine tube isn't.  It could also be the forend wood pushing things around.  Maybe reset the forend wood, if possible. 

Marlin mounts the scope to the receiver.  I know Winchesters have had different mounts over the years.