Anti hunters

YFKI1983

I once had a lady drive through some state land I was hunting on opening day banging pots and pans and yelling to try to scare off deer.  After driving through two more times every hour or so, the DEC officer I called the first time stopped her and proceeded to give her a ticket.  Watched it all from where I was set up in the woods.  Didn't get a deer that year, but I think I had just as much satisfaction from seeing her get the ticket as I would have taking a nice buck.

• Like 3

I never have but two good friends have. One friend had a fat hippie chick follow him, on the throughway for quite a ways. She pulled along side of him flipping him off and screaming at him because he had a deer on his hitch carrier. Another friend had a bunch of protesters, young and old, under his tree stand clanging cow bells, singing and yelling all kinds of stuff at him. That was on public land.

I have never encountered them while actually hunting. If I ever do and they get to testy I will call authorities. What else can you do? Not like you can stand there arguing with someone when you are holding a lethal weapon. That could go south really fast.

The only time I ever thought I might was in 4J on public land. Area is very suburban and gets hikers, bird watchers, people walking dogs, you name it. 

I sometimes Bow Hunt and gun hunt in Pittsford , just North of the thru-way . I have had a couple of the soccer moms blare their horns and shake their fists when driving by and I am in my camo .

I had thought of making a bogus call to Lonsberry and say that I wanted to thank the lady who blasted her horn when driving by my vehicle . I hadn't seen a deer all day and when she blasted the horn on her SUV , 2 doe jumped up in the high grass and I was able to shoot both of them . Thanks for the help ! But then , the snobs in Pittsford probably don't listen to WHAM .

• Like 1

I once had a lady drive through some state land I was hunting on opening day banging pots and pans and yelling to try to scare off deer.  After driving through two more times every hour or so, the DEC officer I called the first time stopped her and proceeded to give her a ticket.  Watched it all from where I was set up in the woods.  Didn't get a deer that year, but I think I had just as much satisfaction from seeing her get the ticket as I would have taking a nice buck.

My dad had a neighboring land owner do this right on the property line while hunting land we lease. Neighbor is the jogging, bike riding, prius driving type and doesn't much care for people killing bambi. DEC went and had a visit with him and told him one more time he'd be arrested for hunter harassment. Haven't had a problem since.

I ran into a couple many years ago on a hut out west.   A friend and I took our truck to a trail-head on the outskirts of a popular Colorado ski town.   The trail went about 10 miles, along a creek that flowed down from a tall mountain.   It was popular with joggers and hikers (this town is really crazy about fitness), and hunters are rare.   We were on the trail well before sunrise and my friend had taken a mule deer the day prior.  On this day, he just walked up a short distance to try for an elk, giving me directions to his spot further up where the mullies seemed to be migrating thru.   I went about 5 miles up the trail, then headed off a mile or so up a mountain side, to his "hot-spot".

A short while after I found a nice overlook, which offered a good shot to the migration path, a group of 5-6 antlerless deer came by.   Exactly 1 hour later, a second, similar group passed.  I was ready an hour later when a third group passed, and this one included a decent buck.   I killed him up there with my 30/06.  My friend and another successful hunter had just left their deer, then came back and got some helpers before dragging them out.   I was young and stupid and it was still fairly early in the day so I thought I could just take it slow and drag it out myself.  

It was a little rough getting it down to the trail (those things are a bit heftier than your average whitetail),  and I started a small avalanche when the rear end caught between a couple boulders and got a whole bunch of them rolling downhill.  Other than that, going downhill wasn't all that bad, but uphill was tough.   Thankfully I had a canteen and water purification tablets and must have drank 5 gallons from the creek on the way out.  By early afternoon it was getting quite warm and I packed the carcass with snow that I found on the shady side of a mountain, up high.   I had a sling-shot in my jacket pocket but it was rolled up in my backpack due to the high temperature. 

Down on the trail, about halfway out, two large German shepherds came at me from around a bend.  They were barking and drooling and very intent on the carcass.   I backed away and tried to dig my slingshot out of my pack.  Before I could lay down some fire, they ripped open the bag containing the heart and liver and wolfed them down.   As I was still struggling to get the sling shot, two young women in bright jogging attire trotted up and called off their dogs. 

I must have been quite a sight, stripped to the waist and covered with sweat and blood.  they looked at the deer and said: "That's gross".   I replied: "Bambi was hurt real bad and I was trying to get him to the vet.  He ain't got a chance now that your dogs ate his heart".   They just continued on their way.   Before I got back to the truck, just before sunset, they came by again without saying a word.  When my buddy arrived shortly thereafter, he couldn't believe it when he saw the deer laying next to the truck.  He asked me "what did you have an adrenalin rush or something?"   He did get a kick out of the jogger story.  All that work wasn't worth the effort as the meat was no where near as tasty as that from our NY whitetails.   I probably should have just let the dogs have some more of it.      

• Like 1