starting to think it's me

eagle rider

My 7600 pump 30-06, off the shelf, is a 1 1/2" -2" gun with or without its 1-4 scope, use a williams peep when the scope is off.

My peep sighted Rossi/Puma 454 lever is a 2" gun and a joy to carry when covering ground or high up in the mountains.

My Sako's and Tikka's bolts are all sub 1" guns with the right loads and when I'm doing my part, 2" + when I'm not.

My .375 H&H mag. Winchester classis stainless model 70 bolt gun is a 1/2"-3/4" gun with it favorite load and I'm feeling great and calm, but a 3-4" gun when I'm tired or angry.

Get my point, my guns are all capable, if they're off it's usually me.

As long a the mechanics are solid, scope mount, etc. and the load is good (proven in the past) any bad shooting I can usually trace back to myself.

Dont' ge me wrong, my next gun will be a custom job, and it will be a pure mauser actioned rifle.  I do love them bolts, but enjoy the others as well.

Took the 7600 to the range today, was everywhere but where i wanted to be.  Thankfully I brought a bolt action 30-06 also, so I was able to redeem myself.  A friend told me I should only own bolt actions,..... I'm starting to agree.

Although you couldn't give me a 7600 these days (a very early 760 could entice me though :rolleyes: ) there isn't a darn thing wrong with them for most situations here in NYS.  You can kill deer all season long out to 300 yards with them and never wish for anymore but they are just so darn boring!!

Pass that bolt action please..........and give me the 200 yard and in shots. A 300+ yard poke from a treestand or leaning on a tree is a damned tough shot for all but the mightiest of marksman.   I'll admit to that being a Hail Mary for me under MOST conditions here in NYS.  The elbow of my trigger pulling arm needs support or I'm all over the place at those distances.

Thank you to whoever started the push for legalization of CF rifles for deer hunting in NYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snipers in the Military use nothing but Bolt Actions !

Not quite true...

The Barret .50 cals are semis, and there are many M-14s  taken out of mothballs and set up for sniper use..

Other countries use them too, such as the Dragonov used by some eastern European countries.

I can swear I had the thing shooting about an 1.25" last season.  This year not so much.  Gonna give it another shot using a different rest and I will run 150's through it this time, let's see what it does.

Pawn it....................................................... :)