Letchworth

Localqdm

I usually hunt there a few times a season.Early bow can be busy in the campground area.I heard there were a lot of hunters in there opening day.I went later in the season and I didn't think it was too bad.Opening of gun season is usually pretty busy and then the number of hunters tapers off.Letchworth is a large area for hunting.If you don't mind walking or possibly dragging up and down hills you can get away from other hunters.I heard some complaints about not seeing many deer this year in Letchworth.I have been going hunting there for about 20 years now.Some of the spots I go to make me feel like I walked in to the past so I enjoy going there.You will need a permit to hunt there.Permits are by mail.You will receive a map with the permit that outlines what areas can be hunted. Not all of the park is open to hunting but Letchworth is 17 miles long so there are plenty of spots.Also there is an antler restriction in place.3 points on one side unless it is a junior hunter and then any buck is open.(I believe that is the rule).I have experienced some nice size deer in the park.I have also seen a lot of young deer there.No different than anyplace else I suppose.

I agree with all that 132 eight pointer said. I hunted there during bow, gun and black powder season. Some days I saw deer, others I saw none. You have to be in pretty good shape to hunt some areas, but it's worth it if you want to get away from it all. They have antler restrictions in place. A buck needs to have at least 3 points on one side.

Well some guys on the job get 2 cabins for a few weeks. We do a bow hunt there with about 12 guys or so for part of this.Now some of the guys have hunted it over 30 years so they know it well.

We all see deer almost each time out, and lately bear here and there.

It can be quite good hunting IMO. Someone takes a nice buck each hunt, we pass on does as we go all the way to the river bottom in some spots and it can take  a few of us some time to get them out.

Some places we rig up a pulley system.We bring rope bags and equipment just for this.

Only once did I see other bow hunters,but like I said we know the area very well,don't hunt the week ends for the most part and walk in far.

yet some guys shoot deer right behind the cabins !

My best advice that I'll put on the net is, find the farms on the west side of the park and remember, they'll be going up out of the river bottom to feed at night and back into the bottoms for the day.

For me Letchworth is great because you can get a cabin for a couple hundred a week. The hunting is good , share it with friends for a fraction of the cost of owning a cabin.You do need to reserve one on the day they become available for hunting season.

I don't gun hunt it,too many of my friends that I bow hunt it with have run into to many yahoo's in gun.

Renting a cabin is a great experience at Letchworth.I have many wonderful memories from the C cabins.I agree with the gun hunting you have to be cautious and know who is around(not always possible),I have heard slugs go by me before.After the first week of gun I have gone there and not seen another hunter.I would recomend it.

Thanks guys for the good advice.  Wasn't sure I really wanted to be there for opening day of shotgun already.  ???  So whats the potential for bucks there?  Do you at least see a 120 class each yr, bigger?  Do you have to pay at the entrance each day? Appreciate the input.

I have also hunted there for over 20yrs and you want to be in shape to hunt all of the park.We rent a cabin the last week of bow and the first week of shotgun.If anyone was there this year and saw all the deer hangin along side the big 8pt on cabin8 that was us.I wouldnt miss the first day of shotgun by choice.My treestands hug the river and about 10am on the first day all hell breaks loose.Its like someone opened the floodgates!!You had better be ready to work for your deer down there as i took a 136in 12 point in 08 and it was a looooong 6hr drag back uppppppp!!!!

I have also hunted there for over 20yrs and you want to be in shape to hunt all of the park.We rent a cabin the last week of bow and the first week of shotgun.If anyone was there this year and saw all the deer hangin along side the big 8pt on cabin8 that was us.I wouldnt miss the first day of shotgun by choice.My treestands hug the river and about 10am on the first day all hell breaks loose.Its like someone opened the floodgates!!You had better be ready to work for your deer down there as i took a 136in 12 point in 08 and it was a looooong 6hr drag back uppppppp!!!!

PM me I am available next year! :D

Local that would be deer!!!Once the banging starts up on the farm land they head to the bottom of the gorge.Sometimes i wont see deer untill noon but you can bet the farm they will show up.You dont have to worry to much about the orange army on the bottom.If you see a hunter down there you can be pretty safe in bettin that they are a hunter.Your everyday joe is not goin down there to hunt..It you go to the check in thread you can see a nice 8pt that santamore shot on the bottom this year with the bow.He is really wide but just a little short on tine length,But a great deer either way!!!!!

We did feed the bears this year..A buddy shot a nice 9pt at last light and headed out to get the rest of the group to help get him out.We got a big doe out another member shot down trail 15 and went back to get the buck.When we got to the last tier from the bottom we heard all kinds out growling and brush breakin.There stood 7 guys in the pitch dark with no gun and 50yds from a very determined bear.Needless to say out we went and the next day we found what he didnt eat,Half buried...Doc we have carts,1000's of feet of rope and we went as far as to take a hand cart,mounted a winch on it and run it with 2 car batteries.We strap the cart to a tree at the top and one of us go back down the cliff to hook the deer up and bingo...Up they come...I know it sounds like alot of work and it is but with a group of guys it works pretty slick.There is not one guy in our group that has not taken atleast a 120in buck from the park and a couple of us lucky ones have 3 book bucks.The largest ever from our group is a 160in funky lookin non-typ.You better like to hunt to do some of the crazy sh!t we do...LOL

Some spots have "roads " that go down for canoe trippers,park employees and so forth. Most have gates,in bow season if you ask real nice and catch the right guy,they'll open it and let you drive down.

We use deer carts and manpower mostly and ropes and 4-1 pully system sometimes for some spots.

My buddy from out west still calls letchworth "flatland hunting" btw. he'll spend 1-2 days packing out meat.

A few guys and a cart works well.Yes sometimes you may be back to camp late like midnight if your alone or with one guy , but thats rare.

fourseasons,thats GREAT good job on them bucks.

They close the park when hunting season starts.I think this year they stopped charging at the gate on the 3rd weekend of october.Remember you do have to have a permit to hunt on the park and if you are not renting a cabin you have to get drawn in a lottery.They let 500 hunters per week to shotgun hunt.If you are just bow or muzzle hunting you just have to mail in a request for a permit!!!

Nah,I have no problem rubbin shoulders with real hunters.If i see someone hunting where i hunt you can bet they are hunters.They have no problem with antler restrictions and no problem with working to get what they want.You have no idea how many people i have been through on letchworth.They see what we get and they are like man i am going there and boom the next year they are.Then when you see them again its like you are freakin crazy to hunt down there.Then the stories start and the last words are....You will never see me there again...I just smile!!!