neighbor had no clue....

growalot

The neighbor called last night...to shoot the breeze and I knowing they have a 100 acres NO DOE HUNTING... but a couple of bow hunters in the family and they all muzzle load I said what do you think about the DEC regs on doe only...absolutely clueless on this. I almost felt bad for everyone at home there last night... So I was saying it ticked me off so bad I refused to get my doe tags this year and picked up Jims to hunt as well as camp...they were pleased about that  but now I have a set of eyes watching...seriously they are into spotting scopes and radio monitoring..though with cells I wonder why...And work from home...yes I'm mean...

Any whoo, I do wonder...how many ACTUALLY do not know about the new rules? To be honest if it weren't for the internet hunting sites and the NYODN I wouldn't know. There are a whole lot of ppl out there that either don't bother with news anymore..never anything good...never get any sort of paper,and don't hit chats...not all license places handed out books. Makes you wonder...

• Like 1

No ...they are surrounded by the same "groups" I am. In fact they have the DEC up here a lot...for they aren't out as much as I am so they have more problems. They know I hunt doe but we have a no tell policy. They also know Jim's place, so were happy I got that. They have been to camp and know the terrain is a bit tough for me now especially hunting alone. I know they prefer I hunt closer so I can be home at least part of the time and not have to stay down at camp....They can see the cars that stop at the drive to see if my car is there before heading up the hill...their office window faces us from up across the road.

When I say no doe...that isn't a well maybe...A doe shot and there is no more hunting for you period.  They have a serious stance on this...they watch most of the property from their deck and watch does raising their fawns all summer... They are also like us...are the first place a wounded doe or fawn go. Finding them with gut shots and butt shots,  legs blown off...arrows sticking out of them...has made them more than a tad nasty about it .

PS..... set of eyes watching the guys that ...aren't so law abiding as it were....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Most hunter are clueless about registering changes ,they don't ask, don't read, had an old friend from school post his sons buck from youth season last year, I was happy for him , then the next day he post the doe the kid shot during youth hunt.... sigh, I contacted him and said you know it's 1 deer only in youth?? Sent a pic of rules and regs and suggested he remove post from social media. Then he became worried about dec finding out.... read rules every year and get a book, even if you have to go back, the not knowing excuse isn't valid...

• Like 1

Most hunter are clueless about registering changes ,they don't ask, don't read, had an old friend from school post his sons buck from youth season last year, I was happy for him , then the next day he post the doe the kid shot during youth hunt.... sigh, I contacted him and said you know it's 1 deer only in youth?? Sent a pic of rules and regs and suggested he remove post from social media. Then he became worried about dec finding out.... read rules every year and get a book, even if you have to go back, the not knowing excuse isn't valid...

I read the rules book every year, just for this reason. Ignorance of a law is not an excuse, you need to make sure  you are CYA!!!

• Like 1

Well, I hope no one is shocked to find out that our laws have become so complex that we all likely break several everyday without even realizing it. That is one of the reasons for my opposition to a lot of this constant nonsense about filling the law books even further every time somebody gets a brain-fart and thinks they have the next round of laws that will save the deer herd. Fact is that I would love to see the environmental conservation laws weeded out a bunch so people would have at least a slight chance of actually reading and understanding the laws that govern hunting, fishing, and trapping ad in fact every facet of our lives.

Yup, your darned right there will be a bunch of people illegally bow hunting bucks in those few select areas. It may not be fully justified that hunters would be unaware of it, but realistically, we know that it will slip by a bunch of people.

Yes, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse", but anyone who thinks that they have the entire contents of the volumes of laws committed to memory is a bit deluded. And if this "doe only" fiasco slips by a bunch of hunters, I can certainly see how that could happen and I fully expect that will happen.

• Like 2

​The basic regulation book can be deceptive and vague.  I read the book every year but it is funny how many different counties and then individual town regulations that can get a new hunter in big trouble.  Ever hunt Westchester with a 30-06?  Yep and the state trooper at the road block 2 exits earlier told me "Good Luck!" after I told him about the gun in the back.  Arg.  I can laugh about it now but if I was caught I would have been in deep!!!  How many hunters get a buck only to find out that town does not allow Sunday hunting?  Luckily not me but many have told me the story. 

Now compare that to a loaded firearm while driving and that's another story.  What do you mean I can't have a handgun during bow season?  Sound familiar?  ok guess its time to check the DEC site for this years changes.