Trail Camera Security Boxes - Idea

LetEmGrow

Like everyone else, I like the idea of having my trail cameras in a security box.  The only other alternative are those that automatically text the pictures.  I have a couple of them (Covert Code Black).  They work great but ain't cheap either.  The security box approach is the best bet.

But that does not make them unbreakable.  All you need is a bolt cutter (and maybe some wire clippers) to snap off the lock or Python cable.

Take this idea and make a million dollars with it if you can.

I cannot believe without a little inginuity that a security box could be made where the lock goes inside of the box leaving just the butt end of the lock exposed for the key.

Imagine a security box with a 1/2" by 1.5" slot in the metal that allowed you to access two eye hold that slide together when the panels are put together.

If the mounting bracket (that you bolt to the tree) had a metal eye hole that aligned with another metal eye hole on the front panel (when you slide the together) then you could insert the lock in to a 1/2" x 1.5" slot on the side of the security box, slip the rounded locking arm through the holes, and then rotate the lock upward (toward the sky). Now swing the base of the lock around so the locking arm goes in to the lock hole and lock it by pushing in on the lock. And then the lock would rest along the bottom edge of the notch in the metal exposing only the bottom of the lock where they key goes.

Obviously this would only work with certain locks on the market as you would want one big/small enough to reach in but not so big that the locking arms would ever be exposed.

That way no one could ever get to it with bolt cutters.  They would have to come back with a crow bar and hammer to get the entire box off the tree and make a lot of noise in doing so.

Anyway, I can't believe someone has not thought of this.  You (the owner) would be screwed if you lost the key.  But that would be a risk worth taking.  If they were built like this then no one could access the lock.

• Like 1

One thing I do is not use a strap that goes all the way around the tree,that makes your camera visable from 360 degrees. When looking for my cameras I realized I often spotted them by seeing the strap from behind.

I use a short piece of webbing and tack it to the tree.

Was thinking about this a little more, and you have to make it out of pretty hard steel. A good low carbon or even SS, which could get pricey. This would hopefully help withstand the abuse of a crowbar or battery powered sawzall. In any event, if it sells for $50-$75 I think people would buy them to keep their several hundred $$ camera safe.

Chiefbkt

• Like 1

You guys don't think like a thief. If they can't have it nobody can. It'll be secure to the tree but inoperable.

Whats guarding the lense from being broken? And how you getting pics through what ever is protecting the lense.

I look at cameras as disspencable. I use the cheap moultries and the pics are fine. I test them out next to the house before putting out.

If they get stolen. Means to me I haven't outsmarted Joe Hunter, I'm not outsmarting a pope & young or better.

You can build fort knox around them and either its broken when you go back or they'll be a stand up close by.

You guys don't think like a thief. If they can't have it nobody can. It'll be secure to the tree but inoperable.

Whats guarding the lense from being broken? And how you getting pics through what ever is protecting the lense.

I look at cameras as disspencable. I use the cheap moultries and the pics are fine. I test them out next to the house before putting out.

If they get stolen. Means to me I haven't outsmarted Joe Hunter, I'm not outsmarting a pope & young or better.

You can build fort knox around them and either its broken when you go back or they'll be a stand up close by.

Then you take their stand

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i recently moved all mine to about 10ft up in the tree using a climbing stick and mounting bracket that allows me to angle camera down. i have had many cams stolen or broken off even when using locks or custum secured brackets. this method takes them out of the line of site and no need for a strap. they are much less obvious and if someone happens to notice them and wants them i have at least inconvienced them a little and they will need to go home and cary in a climbing stick and cutters for python lock (which are a joke at best). hoping this helps but who knows?