The curse of Sixty rd

jesse.james

like someone stated earlier, they can bleed an ungodly amount of blood from a non fatal hit and survive or travel so far that you'll never find them.......if you've ever cut yourself real good, you know just how much blood you can pump out in a short amount of time and if you were to just let it drip onto the ground and walk / run 300 yards, which really isn't that far, just think of the trail you would leave....and you're certainly not gonna die from that amount of blood loss.

Deer blood clots up like crazy too! Case in point after fighting over my doe with the two bucks that wouldn't leave I had to wait close to a half hr to get to her and by that time I had some serious blood pudding in her chest cavity when I was cleaning her out. Nice softball sized hunks of blood Jello.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by The Jerkman
  • Like 1

That's a cool idea wol but what does it smell like. I would not wanna spray something foreign all over my hunting area

Who cares how it smells. Once a deer is wounded, recovering it should take priority over not contaminating the area for future hunts.

• Like 2

Three things jump out at me:

1. This wreaks of a double-back on the trail. Make sure the deer didn't abruptly turn around and not enter that field.

2. Look for parallel paths along the field edge to see if the deer took them.

3. the blood pics do not seem to indicate the deer was moving - don't see much directional blood drops. Could be wrong if I am not seeing the pics clearly. But, what concerns me is that deer is standing still, dropping blood, and not bedding down. Its clotting blood standing up, and I'd be worried about a high hit over the spine, because the spine dips right where you describe hitting it. No bubbles, which typically indicates a lung wasn't hit, and contrary to void fans, it doesn't exist and really all you'd have to hit high there is either lung, spine, or over spine. High shots like that are also notorious for bleeding well, and then stopping.

Good luck, I hope you find better results! Keep looking until you can't look any longer!

• Like 1

like someone stated earlier, they can bleed an ungodly amount of blood from a non fatal hit and survive or travel so far that you'll never find them.......if you've ever cut yourself real good, you know just how much blood you can pump out in a short amount of time and if you were to just let it drip onto the ground and walk / run 300 yards, which really isn't that far, just think of the trail you would leave....and you're certainly not gonna die from that amount of blood loss.

definitely. This sounds like a high hit through the backs traps. Unholy amount of blood that peters out

I am betting you hit the artery he is bled out and dead if that is the case. My buddy hit back straps on several occasions but not nearly that much blood. and he was using the rage 2.5" He left some serious holes in that deer with minimal blood.

Edited by chas0218

No way that deer survived.  We once almost lost a deer that only went 200 yards from where he was hit.  He dropped into a creek bottom and then crawled up on the backside of a huge grey rock.  It was uncanny how camo'd he was from view.  We walked right past him (4 of us).  We eventually found him, but almost didn't.  Deer find a way to get the last laugh some how.