Southhaven County Park - Can you deer hunt there??

longislandhunter

I know there is waterfowl hunting in the park but I don't believe they open it up for big game. I could be wrong though. I know there is some nice deer in there. I've camped a few times at Southaven and the deer are sometimes walking around the sites in the morning.

Its a shame you can't hunt there because the deer population is out of control there. They should insitute a lottery hunt so the herd could be thinned out.

Your talking about Conn. River right?  I was driving south on 454 in the end of june and on the right I saw an absolute MONSTER Im talking mid-western MONSTER in velvet it really is a shame the trophys that would come out of there would be amazing.

Those deer have been in there for years(CONQUETOT PARK). No pressure, no predators, just a car once in awhile.  There is a home owner who lives right across the street. Deer are always on his front lawn eating.  I'm talking big deer. But your not allowed to hunt there. Such a shame.

There almost def. someone who controls the population I live not far from Sunken Meadow and I hear rumors all the time of the DEC having sharp shooters thin the heard.  Again I said rumors but I beleive it.  Between Sunken Meadow, Nissequage River, and the old state hospital in Kings Park there are some big old deer I've seen them.  It is a shame that they dont allow hunting there have been more and more car/deer accidents and they keep putting up signs like that helps.

Those deer have been in there for years(CONQUETOT PARK). No pressure, no predators, just a car once in awhile.  There is a home owner who lives right across the street. Deer are always on his front lawn eating.  I'm talking big deer. But your not allowed to hunt there. Such a shame.

+1 ive seen some monsters over there. the people feed them along the fence there. i have a buddy who lives right acoss the street where his neighbors feed them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Theres gotta be someone that controls the deer population in there

Yeah, it's Vets Highway, and his cousin Sunrise!

I know people who live behind the park, north of the water dept offices. Monster deer.

I though he pruned back the shrubs, but he said never, he's got a 5 foot browse line on all their shrubs..

All kidding aside DEC did a cull shoot in Hecksher this year so I'd bet they hit a few other spots as well..

they have sharp shooters do there thing in there when the herd needs thinning, just like everywhere else herds get thinned out. sharpshooters... or if you have family or a close friend who is a big wig over there im sure they can get you in. ive heard of guys able to hunt in there once upon a time but you never hear anything more then that.

a few years back they caught three guys hunting in there with bows they confiscated there car house and every thing  else and the three hunters and one of there wife she droped them off  were all heavily find.

and i herded Gill lets a few guys from a hunting club go in there to shoot a few deer some turkeys and ducks too for a wild game dinner they have

papabear

Theres gotta be someone that controls the deer population in there

Yeah, it's Vets Highway, and his cousin Sunrise!

I know people who live behind the park, north of the water dept offices. Monster deer.

I though he pruned back the shrubs, but he said never, he's got a 5 foot browse line on all their shrubs..

All kidding aside DEC did a cull shoot in Hecksher this year so I'd bet they hit a few other spots as well..

How do you know about that cull shoot at Hecksher.  I have heard rumors but thought they were just that.  Is this a fact?  If so they must use bows or silencers as I would think people over there would freak out if they started hearing gunshots.  I live nearby and its not common to hear gunshots there.  I Drove by on Sunrise the other day at about 4:30 and there were easily 15 deer grazing in the open field. 

In Connetquott, I'm fairly certain that the turkeys are all gone. I looked around quite a bit in the snow and saw no birds and no tracks. Also, when I asked a park employee last month I was told that they were gone. I used to go there and see them quite often and remember when they were down to very few.I was told that it was believed that the fox ate them.

In the 80's  on my way home from work I used to see guys with bows  hunting a parcel of land just west of the park( not in the park) and one year I was told of a big 10 pointer that came from that spot. I think they built on that spot now.( it was next to where a credit union is now). I never took advantage of the spot and regretted it later.

I've duck hunted in Southhaven park and never heard of deer hunting in there . The duck hunting as I recall was by sort of a lottery system. We went in the morning and signed in then I think they picked names for spots. They had an afternoon duck hunt too. It was not opened to hunting every day.

How do you know about that cull shoot at Hecksher.  I have heard rumors but thought they were just that.  Is this a fact?  If so they must use bows or silencers as I would think people over there would freak out if they started hearing gunshots.  I live nearby and its not common to hear gunshots there.  I Drove by on Sunrise the other day at about 4:30 and there were easily 15 deer grazing in the open field.

I had the 308 sector car here filing a report, and he's not the most ambitious patrolman, so he was killing time running his mouth.. The conversation was wide ranging, and included him telling us that he drove into Hecksher the day of a shoot & saw DEC, but not in the typical uniforms. Upon questioning exactly who they were, he was informed on what was going on.  I told him to drop any fresh deer roadkills on my lawn. A friend told me a few years back we was turned away on a Sunday morning from the park entrance for the same reason..

As for gunshots, almost every sat morning I hear the waterfowl hunters from my bed.. I don't think it would be an issue from neighbors.  I'd gladly pay a fee to hunt the park since I could walk in..