"Custom" guns

Buckmaster7600

The other day at work we were talking about deer rifles and I was saying how I had done this and that to all of my guns. And everyone else couldn't believe I did all that stuff to guns "ie cut barrels changed stocks, rebarrled, milled slides and what not" am I the only one who can't own anything that I have not made my personal touches to?

Some times you have an image of what you want but they simply don't have it so you have to make it yourself.  Or in my case, I can't afford what I want so I build something similar.

Don't have pictures at work but my Mossberg originally came with wooden stock and slide and a 28" barrel.  I installed:

20" game barrel

Blackhawk extending stock with pistol grip

black rubber Hogue slide.

My Ruger 10/22 game with original wood stock. I replaced it with a black tactical Hogue stock and a 18" Green Mountain bull barrel.

This brings to mind an old local fellow, now passed on,  who was an avid hunter and shooter...

Nearly all of his firearms, including , but not limited to expensive skeet and trap guns, showed the signs of his "customization"  both on the metal work and the wood..

His first name was Mort, and the common joke around the gun club was that all of his guns had been " MORTIFIED"....

• Like 2

This brings to mind an old local fellow, now passed on,  who was an avid hunter and shooter...

Nearly all of his firearms, including , but not limited to expensive skeet and trap guns, showed the signs of his "customization"  both on the metal work and the wood..

His first name was Mort, and the common joke around the gun club was that all of his guns had been " MORTIFIED"....

I have that same talent.........my early Duck hunting guns are quite the pieces of art, who knew they made special screwdrivers for working on guns and that wire wheels aren't the best choice for removing surface rust?......water pump pliers and vise grips? no better tools for taking off the magazine tube cap.....oh, almost forgot, did something really bad to a bolt action .22 once....wound up having to cut it into small pieces to dispose of it after my Father found out.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

My best one was when I got back from Iraq the first time and bought myself a Benelli R1 in 30-06 as a gift to myself, my wife already had it at the house so I went right out and shot it and hated the way it felt so I got a hacksaw and cut 4" off the barrel then it felt stock heavy so I drilled a couple of 2 1/2 holes with a hole saw in the buttstock sprayed some expanda foam in it laid some glass over the holes and now it's perfect! I most likely couldn't get 200$ for a 1400$ Gun if I wanted to sell it but it's perfect for me and isn't going anywhere! The look on my wife's face when she came down the stairs and seen my new 1400$ rifle in a vice and me with a saw to the barrel would have been worth it even if I didn't like it when I was done!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ripped apart a Beautiful  wood Stock Sako AV .270 install a New Krieger Barrel, True up the Action, Face, Lug and Thread and install a nice McMillian hunting stock.

I then sold the Factory wooden stock and Factory used Barrel on ebay to almost pay for 1/2 of my new Hunting Rifle.

She Love's VihtaVuori N160 with 130 grain Accubond Pill

I think we all customize our guns, in one way or another. I have guns that I have placed duct tape on, to make pop up  scope caps fit better, or to make a sling swivel less noisy. I have replaced  stocks and for ends, I have cut  scope caps to make them fit better on low mounted scopes, I have removed sights, on guns I have scoped, not because they were in the way of the scope, but  to make rifles easier to carry. I have changed butt plates/pads, added cartridge bands, All kinds of non gun smithing stuff

• 3 weeks later...

I love working on a project gun. This was a cheap gun I picked up because it had aweful blueing and hadn't been cleaned in probably 20 years. I stripped all the blueing and worked the metal to take out all the dings. Used Steel wool and metal polish and its my new wall hanger. It still functions but its kinda spooky. Its a Remington Mohawk 48 from the early 70's. 

12096105_10207902550269789_3218743864814

• 5 weeks later...

This brings to mind an old local fellow, now passed on, who was an avid hunter and shooter...

Nearly all of his firearms, including , but not limited to expensive skeet and trap guns, showed the signs of his "customization" both on the metal work and the wood..

This fellow Mort , was he from Long Island by any chance .

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Went into the gun safe today to get the 870 and some # 4 Heavy shot out and I noticed I have more custom rifles. then factory stock ones , even the Remy. 870 Is not stock, it has a scope and a camouflage paint job on it..

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 1