Bonus Find this evening!!

shooter

My good buddy shot a whopper of a buck this evening around 6:00pm in WMU 8F. Within seconds of releasing the arrow he was calling me as he thought he heard the buck crash down and that he needed help tracking. I told him I would get there as quickly as possible as I was just picking up my kids and heading home. From the time he called till the time I arrived there an hour had passed. We waited for another friend to show up and began our track. By this time it had been a good 1 1/2 hrs from when he shot. He had already located his arrow once he climbed down from his stand as he had a pass through and the arrow was full of blood. We began tracking as the blood at first seemed spotty but then began to pick up with good signs of blood. The blood was bright red and had some bubbles in it usually meaning lung shot. The blood trail was strong and consistant  and continued on for a couple hundred yards. It stopped and came to a split in a deer trail. I went one way and my buddy went the other way. I shined my flash light ahead as what I had thought was his deer when I saw the antlers I began to realize it was a skull of a buck. A dandy indeed. A very symmetrical 10. A bonus for me for my efforts I suppose. We continued to look for his deer but had no such luck. We know we never bumped him. We decided to back out and call deer search. The deer he shot was bigger and taller then this rack and another 10. We are hoping for luck tomorrow with deer search and their dogs. He feels the shot may have been a little forward of the shoulder but angling down as he shot down from a treestand 30yds away. Will keep you all posted.

post-659-0-47304600-1445483986_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Great find... but hopefully you'll have even more luck finding your Buddy's.  He thinks the shot was a little forward.  I'm not sure, difficult to get a pass through with mature buck at 30 yrds when you are in front of shoulder.

How was height of the shot?  Being 30 yrds, even from a stand won't have a lot of angle.  Good blood with bubbles so that's awesome.  I'm hoping it wasn't too high of a shot?

No luck folks. :( Even had deer search involved with their dogs. Very disappointing. Its happened to us all but still hard to except especially on a buck of this caliber. Biggest he has encountered in his 25 years of hunting.

When I used deer search...they guaranteed they would locate the deers bed and we would know if it lived or not and he carried a pistol...as he is allowed to put down a mortally wounded deer.

So did they find the deers last bed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1