A new species is evolving right before our eyes — an ultra-successful mix of wolves, coyotes and dogs

The coyotes we are seeing in NY state are probably something nobody really has much scientific information about yet.  They are hybrids, and very successful ones.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/a-new-species-is-evolving-right-before-our-eyes-an-ultra-successful-mix-of-wolves-coyotes-and-dogs/

"At about 55 pounds, the hybrid animal is about twice as heavy as a standard coyote, and its large jaws, faster legs and muscular body allows it to take down small deer and even hunt moose in packs, and the animal is skilled at hunting in both open terrain and dense woodland."

Edited by Mr VJP

I was part of the coyote hater group for a long time but I have learned to live with them.  It used to be tough for me, having to drive thru a town that bans all hunting, on every weekday to get to work.   Those big coyotes are the best thing to come along in years.  Now I can get to work most mornings, even now at peak-rut time, without dodging deer or their carcasses.   I also like how the coyotes take out the weak deer, mostly fawns and old, rutted-out bucks, during their two "happy-times" every year, early summer fawning, and early winter post-rut.  The coyotes keep the deer that spill over into our town stronger, not the emaciated, half-starved pitiful creatures that would appear before they were around.   The coyotes also provide some fun shooting after deer season ends. 

• Like 1

a 3 legged coyote?

Never paid much attention to that ,maybe he got it stuck in a trap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Or someone's heart shot went too low and took off it's front leg.  That doesn't slow them down though.  Losing a rear leg would.

Why? Not why did you miss. Why kill it?

One does not hunt to kill.  One kills in order to have hunted.

It's called predator hunting.  It's legal.  It's challenging and it's exciting.  

Killing a coyote in no way endangers their population, but may be beneficial to the population of other animals.

That's the point of the above research.  The scientific community may not know as much as they think they do about this hybrid animal.  It may turn out these coyote are really in need of more control.

• Like 2

Nothing like a hunting site where people advocate not shooting a game animal.

:rolleyes:

When the NY State DEC takes them off the huntable game list, I'll stop shooting them.

It's bad enough the season isn't year round.

Next, we will be chastised for killing porcupine.

• Like 3

I just threw some deer parts out on my bait pile this morning. It gets a lot easier hunting coyotes at night after we get some snow. There is enough moon left now, that it may be doable for a few days anyhow. Hopefully the snow will arrive soon. That always makes the deer hunting and the coyote hunting much better.

• Like 1

Why does every thread about coyotes turn into a raging war?

There is a season for coyotes, so if a hunter wants to kill them so be it. Reasons do not matter. We buy our tags every year, with those tags comes the legal right to hunt anything we want that is legal and has a season. For people to keep harassing or bashing coyote hunters is just getting carried away around this site. Let people hunt what they choose to hunt and let it go! 

Anyway.................Back on topic now.......

I am thinking Mr VJP meant this thread about how some are saying our coyotes are a hybrid and being called a coywolf.

• Like 1

Let Montana and other states with wolves show us what a population unchecked can do to wildlife numbers ... I am all for taking them bye all legal means necessary they are over taking red fox and greys quickly in all territories. ... I think I seen a study that said our coyotes were only 10% wolf blood of any kind Wich was extremely low ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have yet to shoot a coyote with a gun not saying I wouldn't. I have shot 3 in the past 2 years with my bow and enjoy the challenge it brings. I have one of these so called mixed yotes on my trail cam or at least did until I deleted it. It was actually what my grandfather called a "blonde" coyote. Very large and a orange colored coat and the gray and black tip on it's tail. I had some pictures 2 large fox on my camera but this was no fox.