TREE STAND HIGHT /GROUND BLIND

Kayakwilly

depends on cover and how much you move...I took a 19" wide old "shovel nose " in an open woods 8ft up..My big blinds range from 8 to 12 ft up and some of my built stands are 22'...the higher you are IMO the farther out you want the shooting lanes during bow especially

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I try for the 20' + height with lock on stands. With climbers I go up as high as needed. Sometimes 25' +. Depends on terrain of the area. I try to get as far out of the scent line as possible. Ground blinds that I use are right on ground level so I set them up with a 20 yard shot down wind of the trail or food source.

Usually 15-18. I tie a knot at 15' on the line I use to pull up my bow. I climb until the knot is at the base of my climber. Some times I go a bit higher. I have a stand in a big wide apple tree. Since I have good cover, the stand is only 12' high. Maybe a bit less.

• Like 1

I go 15' up when possible...I also have the rope I pull my bow up with marked so I know when I'm at my desired height. I killed one from a natural ground blind this year that was set up last year using old xmas trees so they had plenty of time to get used to it...that was a 20 yard shot.

20' usually.   I have a 20' rope to bring my bow up, just climb till the bow starts to swing.  Does depend on where I am though.  Flat ground with nice big trees and high canopy, maybe 25 or more, steep hills, or smaller trees will usually stay lower.   My biggest bow buck was shot when I was up only 12', next biggest was up closer to 25' 

I used to go way up. Now most of my hang on's are 15 feet or less. I killed my buck this year out of a stand that was around 13 feet up on a phone pole tree.

In the rut when the bucks are stupid you could be standing on a garbage tote and kill one .

Hey that might make a good pop out blind...

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Ground blinds for me and my son this year being his first. I stick the blind in the woods just off the edge of a cut corn field. No treestands this year. Two comfy swivel chairs and a Mr Heater in case it's too cold and a thermos of hot coffee and sandwiches.

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 3

Cover and my comfort zone drive my decision...and the cost of ladders.  Although, now that I have a climber I'm tending to focus on my comfort zone and the situation.  Generally I try to get up 20 feet in good cover.  I encounter decision-making problems when there are multiple trails in an area; can't effectively hunt all of them if there is even a slight breeze so which one do you focus on?

I find once I get much over 25' I get a little uncomfortable when the tree sways in a breeze.  I've been climbing trees for 20 years and still can't get over that.  I know plenty of people that go 30-35+, if they ca.  They seem to particulary prefer stand sites on a side sloping hill where deer can walk out uphill and nearly eye level with them or down slope from the stand and almost 60 vertical feet below them...yes, I consider them to be crazy.

It all depends on the situation and your personal comfort zone.  I can stick to +/- 20 feet because I tend to hunt areas with thicker cover...although once the leaves drop "thick" becomes relative real quick.

generally my treestands are never under 20 feet, most are 24-30 feet I do have a few at upwards of 38 feet. with the climber its hard to tell how far I will climb generally though its 25-30 feet.

as far as ground blinds go, while just setting one up and hunting it you may get a shot at a deer but in my experience with them if your hunting turkeys you can set them up right in the middle of a field and have a turkey walk up and literally stick their head in the blind ( when that happened it really freaked judy out) 

but for deer you better brush it in and certainly set up with the wind being favorable to where the deer are traveling.  what I tell people is if I came in your house and set my blind up in your living room how soon do you think it would take to notice it?  remember we are in their house, they live there 24/7/365  the same with cutting shooting lanes, they notice, it takes time to get accustomed to it, some older bucks will avoid the area all together once they sense a change or human presence.

an example of a properly and successful brushed in ground blind for deer.

20151024_090754_zpsrulfdyuu.jpg

Edited by reeltime
  • Like 3