Bipedal deer finder

Curmudgeon

So, yesterday was a burden. I got home before 1 PM really needing to crash. Lo, I find 5 messages on the answering machine, the last of which is from a neighbor who has shot and can't find a buck. Unfortunately for him, he is color blind. I have become his go to guy for tracking. So, I eat some lunch, get in the UTV, and go find him.

The arrow went into the deer and when the buck jumped, it broke off all but 6" that remained in the animal. There was no blood. Color vision was no help. Eventually, I spotted the deer - using my Swarovski binoculars - in some open woods about 300 yards from where he shot it. If it had gone into thick cover, we probably would have never found it.

The arrow went through the shoulder blade high. It seems the arrow sheared off when it jumped. There was a little blood near the wound - no more than if you cut your finger.

Binoculars are not just for bird watching.

• Like 6

Job well done !!

I'm always amazed at how many hunters think binoculars are just for looking at stuff at long range.. A good set is an extremely useful hunting tool, even in close cover..I don't go in the woods without my Leicas..

I was out last night myself, helping a friend track a buck that he had hit shortly before dark..Fortunately he made a good hit and it was a pretty routine tracking job. The only blood trails I like are wide, short, and have a dead deer at the end of them..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

I am colorblind too. The only way I could describe tracking blood to a non colorblind (normal) person is..."hopeless". Unless the trail is blatantly obvious, i look down at the ground and a rush of despair comes over me. Luckily I've always had folks to lean on when I need a pair of eyes.

Regarding binos, I couldn't agree more. I don't know why but for many years I didnt use them. Didn't think I needed them. But Once I bought a good pair and started using them, I never looked back. Wouldn't think of deer hunting without them now.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I know absolutely nothing about color blindness. My question: What exactly do you see instead of the different colors? Is it just all different shades of gray? Are all the colors missing, or only some? What is the cause of color blindness? Is it some missing rods and cones or something?

Just curious.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I know absolutely nothing about color blindness. My question: What exactly do you see instead of the different colors? Is it just all different shades of gray? Are all the colors missing, or only some? What is the cause of color blindness? Is it some missing rods and cones or something?

Just curious.

I'm red green color blind witch basically means all reds browns greens and shades of it all look almost the same...looking for red blood on brown leaves or green foliage is near impossible for me....I have learned to look for gloss as a wet spot and put my finger in it to see color...works decent but only if good trail

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Color blindness is a sex linked trait carried on X chromosomes. Without too much explaining here is an easy way to understand. If a mother is color blind then ANY sons she has are guaranteed to be colorblind. If your mother is not color blind but you are it means she is a carrier ( if you are male) as it is a recessive trait.

I teach biology in case you were wondering.

What Stoneam2006 said nailed it. I've also come to rely heavily on "looking for wet spots" and using my fingers to touch wet spots and then look at the potential blood against the backdrop of my skin to detemine if it is indeed blood.

essentially I can see red but it becomes nearly impossible in a sea of other similar colors. When the backdrop is freshly fallen red oak leaves and pine needles, forget it.

• Like 1

And what happens, for me, is I fine my arrow hopefully and start tracking, slowly. But if the blood trail isn't heavy, I start to panic. Its a sinking feeling. It's easy for your mind to start questioning the shot and what you saw as far as impact and deer reaction, etc. It's really best for me not to muck around trying to track without help.

I've come to trust very heavily what I saw on the shot and not worry with what I see on the ground until I get a normal persons eyes on the seen.

• Like 1

Color blindness is a sex linked trait carried on X chromosomes. Without too much explaining here is an easy way to understand. If a mother is color blind then ANY sons she has are guaranteed to be colorblind. If your mother is not color blind but you are it means she is a carrier ( if you are male) as it is a recessive trait.

I thought it was if a mother's father was her son was....my mom's dad is and my daughters son should be?

And isn't female color blindness pretty rare?

Asking to learn...

So, yesterday was a burden. I got home before 1 PM really needing to crash. Lo, I find 5 messages on the answering machine, the last of which is from a neighbor who has shot and can't find a buck.

Answering machine...what the hell is that?? jk well done

Answering machine...what the hell is that?? jk well done

I have a old cell phone which was in my pocket turned off. I don't make it easy to get hold of me. I'm a curmudgeon, possibly a misanthrope too.

I see different colors out of each eye. One does not see bright red. The other does. Weird but I see bright red with both eyes open.

The first deer I tracked for my neighbor had sprayed a mist of blood on snow - in places where it had not melted. He could not see the pink spray at all.