Atv registration

I did a search:

Now I included the link...just incase it is something that could have changed since that link was made...

http://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/atvs-information-owners-and-operators

http://www.nysorva.info/?page_id=443

ATV REGISTRATION AND DATE OF EXPIRATION

An ATV must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if it is operated anywhere in New York State, including on the owner's property.

When you register a new or used ATV for the first time, your registration will expire each year on August 31. Registrations for ATVs originally registered before April 1, 2005, will continue to expire each year on April 30.

ATV dealers are required by law to register every ATV they sell to New York State residents or to non-residents before the purchaser takes delivery; unless the purchaser qualifies for an exemption from registration. A purchaser is exempt from registration when the ATV will be used exclusively: outside of New York State; at special events; for agricultural purposes; or for snow plowing other than for-hire. Dealers must have the purchaser complete and sign a "Declaration of Exemption From Snowmobile or All-Terrain Vehicle Registration" (RV-6).

Unless you qualify for an exemption from registration, you cannot take delivery from an authorized dealer until after the ATV is registered.

however ,you may want to check your home owners insurance, I had a dirtbike stolen when I was a kid and the home owners insurance would not cover NONregistered off road vehicles.

On that note...should physical injury occur either to you /family or quest...concider whether your insurance would cover treatment ..due to not being registered..if it's bad enough for a hospital run ..it may be investigated...Just a thought

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

On that note...should physical injury occur either to you /family or quest...concider whether your insurance would cover treatment ..due to not being registered..if it's bad enough for a hospital run ..it may be investigated...Just a thought

These days ,anything is possible. I can't even count how many times my dirtbike has put me in the hospital and it was never an issue.

• Like 2

Yes we do know that .....and we still have a registered Susuki from 1987...We are having a hard time killing the thing...lol

That was more geared towards the family/ guest thing...but when I have gone in to the ER I have always been questioned as to how the accident happened and where it happened...I had my thigh muscle tear while I was at school working...when questioning me I explained that night before I was chased up our very steep hill fighting off the neighbors dog...workmans comp would not cover it because they said the tear was due to the stress of running backwards up a steep hill trying to escape the dog.....

Edited by growalot