The New York hunting community needs to work on their response to hunting issues.

The problem is , with the anti's, you are dealing with people who are perpetually and professionally outraged and offended by everything...literally...all the time. It's all they do.

Hunters are generally normal folk, with other things going on in their lives,like jobs and family. But yes, Hunters need to wake up to the relentless attacks from those who live to be outraged and offended. They are well organized and always on the prowl for the next 'outrage'

Edited by Papist
  • Like 4

How many hunters think about hunting outside of the 1 or two weekends they brush the mothballs of their rifles and storm the woods?

I hunt 365 days a year in terms of my observational routines and interest in what is going on in the woods . I suspect the degree of investment for many people, simply is not there in terms of how they approach the hunt and what it means to them.

• Like 2

The problem is , with the anti's, you are dealing with people who are perpetually and professionally outraged and offended by everything...literally...all the time. It's all they do.

Hunters are generally normal folk, with other things going on in their lives,like jobs and family. But yes, Hunters need to wake up to the relentless attacks from those who live to be outraged and offended. They are well organized and always on the prowl for the next 'outrage'

That's the big issue. We have the NRA and a few other organizations that are set to mainly keep the Second Amendment alive. But, not many to keep hunting alive.

Whether you hunt deer, or want the dove season added, how do we compete with the mass conglomerates, lawyers, and political influence the anti's have? No matter what we do in NY ( or any where ), we will never have the millions of dollars to really fight or campaign again't the anti's. All we can do is send letters to politicians that most times, probably ignore us. The DEC has it's head in the wrong place ( if you get what I mean ).

So how do we organize or really make a statement? 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I cannot make it to those meeting between my family and job I have very limited free time. It would be nice if they threw a flyer in the mail or put something in the newspaper to help people know when they meetings are. I am unaware of when these meetings take place or if I do see something it is 2+ hour drive.

Being thoughtful, focused, and articulate on the internet is too much to ask of many/most people.

When we did our first petition, regarding mute swans, we allowed comments. We had a surprisingly good amount of very well written and factually correct comments about the matter. 

We decided not to enable comments on the dove petition however. The reason why, is although we got many good comments on the mute swan petition, we also had to delete many. This became time consuming so we decided against it the next time around.

We also finally figured out a way to create electronic form letters, without using a third party and/or paying for the service. This will facilitate response as well, if we find a need for these sort of letters. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your diligence.

After I replied to you, I realized you might be referring to the way online discussions stray? That sure is a serious hindrance. In order to pull together we need to focus on strategies and solutions, make solid commitments of time and effort, and then divy up the work load.   

I'm hip deep in a number of issues right now, and I work hard to support all of them.

Preservation of the US Constitution is the biggie for me, because without that nothing else matters..

I may not have power to directly change things, but I have power to inform others that change needs to be made.

• Like 1

The steps to be taken are clear, the DEC itself says on their webpage about dove hunting, that "political support" must grow first before a dove season happens.  We outlined various strategies to climb each level. These are mostly new strategies, and if you keep in mind the first post in this thread, when new strategies are used, success rates climb drastically.

We got a lot of tools we have not yet used, because we need help. There are 62 counties in NY, and we would like 62 county reps. One hundred signatures is a very obtainable goal - if 62 reps got 100 signatures, that ALONE would be 6,200. 

And there are many ways those reps could achieve that: Visit clubs and ranges. Run a table or booth at National Hunting and Fishing Day. Set up at Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks, Field and Stream, and Herb Phillipson's. 

Voting isn't everything. Being an active American in the entire political process is. We've got to reguarly contact our elected officials so they know what we want. Simply voting for someone isn't enough, not by a long shot.

The good part is that it is really easy to be involved. It takes a couple minutes, at most, to contact your elected official. But, I think being well versed and educated is an important factor and that you shouldn't even vote if you're unaware of the realities of culture, society, and government.

This is not a political endorsement, but here is a good quote from Jeb Bush during the presidential political debate last night: 

"You won't be able to insult your way to the presidency. Leadership is not about attacking people and disparaging people. It is about creating serious strategies to deal with the threats of our time."

While hunting yesterday, I had to see at least 50 dove within an hours time. I think its time we all finally pull together and get a dove season. 

How old of a man are you? The reason I ask, is I am 50. Fred Neff and Jerry Natale , who have been after this since the eighties, are 71 years old. I dont plan on driving this until I am 70.

We need people in their twenties and thirties to get into this. We also need people from your area - NYC to get into the lawmakers offices down there and speak with them. 

There is only one rod and gun club I am aware of in NYC, and that is in Staten Island. I am not discussing Long Island here, but what is considered NYC.

Hunters are not at all organized in NYC. We want persons on our petition from NYC to communicate with each other. And show your numbers, even if it is a small number, to the state lawmakers in NYC. I suspect state lawmakers based in NYC  dont think ANY hunters vote in their district. We are going to facilitate the organization of hunters who live in NYC, and we need a few of the locals to step up. (Elmo, who has been one of our contributors and we value him, however he always complains about being busy). 

We also will need to free up space on our newsletter when we reach the stage it is necessary to do letter writing campaigns. Currently, we are just trying to gain petition signatures. Thus, we continue to send our newsletter to many who are not keen on our initiative, in hopes they will eventually sign on. At the same time, we have a list of thousands of people who are serious about dove hunting who we want to contact when this reaches the letter writing campaign stage. At that point, we have two options - one just purge the list , or two create a separate list. Since many (800 believe it or not) of the people on the purge list are actually officers of NY state hunting organizations or NY gun rights organizations, we, right or wrong, are somewhat hesitant to purge them even at the stage we need to make room. (But we must and we will when the time comes). Creating a second list is not hard, but we do not want to administer two lists. So, without beating around the bush anymore, will you or anyone else anyone commit to administering the deadbeat list? 

But the adding of new game and the preservation of the seasons we already have should all be just as important. No?

I admire people who fight for things and I have a lot of respect for you Mike for stepping up on the changes you want. I have stated your drive and doing petitions. I wish people would do the same for the other seasons they are passionate about and nut just pitch a fit.

But, as hunters we have to fight for the big picture, not just one aspect. At least in my humble opinion.

Whether you hunt deer, birds/turkey and other small game, water fowl, or predators, hunting as a whole needs to be preserved.

I also agree 100% with this;

Preservation of the US Constitution is the biggie for me, because without that nothing else matters..

Hard to hunt dove with a bow.

• 2 weeks later...

We have already published nine online articles for 2016. Those articles are available on our website. In the future, we are going to improve the site so that articles are better organized.

These articles will also go out as Facebook newsfeed at 5PM on nine consecutive Mondays starting on January 4, 2016 through February 29, 2016.

These nine articles provide important information and we are urging constituents to carefully read them and use the buttons located on the right of each article to share, email, and print them. post them on hunting forums too. Those in the media have permission to republish them with credit to NY Dove Hunting.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mike rossi
      Details coming soon!

As mourning doves expand northward Canadian Providences are instating hunting seasons. British Columbia has hunted doves for some time. Southern Ontario instated a season in 2014, and now Quebec. There is also a pending proposal in Manitoba and discussion elsewhere. 
    • By mike rossi
      Air Shotguns add a new dimension to dove hunting. Note the comment about the overhead utility lines, we are going to recommend the DEC prohibits dove hunting within gun range of lines to prevent damage to them. They are taking Eurasian collared doves, which are similar to our native mourning doves. They are spreading and it is not too uncommon to find this introduced dove across NY. The impacts of ECD are not known at this point.

If you want to hunt doves in NY, sign our online petition at this link: http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/petition.html 

For info on Eurasian Collared Doves go to this link: http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/eurasian-collared-dove-hunting-ndash-endless-opportunity.html

• By mike rossi
      Upcoming movie pushes back against the anti-bird dog movement, recommended by the AKC: 

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/new-movie.html
    • By mike rossi
      Dove Hunting, Spying on Trapper's Convention, NAVHDA Bird Dog Training, and more...
      This page takes a moment to load... it's worth the wait.

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/anti-hunting-activity-in-new-york.html
    • By mike rossi
      By now you might understand the utility of the information we are sending you and why we are sending it to you. If you are still cursing us out or scratching your head because you are not quite there yet, please stick around! 

Below is a summary we compiled which reflects the central premises of anti-hunting activists both in general and specific to dove hunting. (In the future we will adapt this to pheasant stocking, Sunday hunting, and young forest management).

Categories of arguments are grouped and typical premises of each category are listed.

For your convenience the same information is attached to this email as a pdf file which can be downloaded and saved to your computer.

Catalog of Arguments Frequently used by Anti-Hunting Organizations and Activists

Hunter Attitude and Behavior Arguments

1. Lack of interest in retrieving doves.
      2. Hunters do not retrieve or eat doves but rather use them for target practice. Comments made by hunters, outdoor writers, and hunting spokespersons which reflect that or can be construed as such, are frequently quoted by anti-hunters and the media. 
      3. Dove hunting practices are cruel/inhumane/unethical/immoral/unsporting
      4. How hunting causes suffering to doves, for example wounding and not retrieving.

Social Imbalance Arguments

1. Expanding hunting opportunity will contract opportunity for non-hunting activities.
      2. Participation in hunting is shrinking and there is more revenue generated and greater participation in other outdoor activities. Policy should favor the majority.
      3. Expanding hunting opportunity will make NY less desirable for non-hunting recreation which will result in lost revenue for the state and local economies.
      4. The vast majority of hunters are middle aged or older Caucasian males.

Power and Control Arguments

1. Decisions should be made by majority rule (voting).
      2. Hunting policy is decided under a rigged system tainted by favoritism, politics, special interests, money, and abuse of power.
      3. State wildlife agencies mismanage wildlife to accommodate hunters because hunting license revenue is their primary source of funds.
      4. A pro-hunting culture exists within the DEC.
      5. There is no anti-hunting representation on the Conservation Fund Advisory Board and the Fish and Wildlife Management Board. At least one representative of the Humane Society of the United States should be appointed to these boards to represent the interests of the broader public, not just hunters.

Public Participation Arguments

1. Anti-hunters claim they are disenfranchised from the decision making process, the extent to which they are involved, the nature of their involvement.
      2. Lack of transparency of the decision-making process exists.
      3. Public notice was inadequate and therefore stakeholder participation was compromised. 

Arguments about the reliability of population estimates, monitoring, and information about mourning doves.

1. Science is not recent enough
      2. Quality of science is inadequate or questionable
      3. Need NY specific data
      4. Imprecise population estimates
      5. There is speculation surrounding dove management.
      6. NEPA requires ESA, EIS before instating a dove hunting season and/or similar action should be taken prior to considering a dove season. 

Wildlife management is a failure/debacle

1. Management of doves and other wildlife is not working/failing/ineffective.
      2. Animal-related problems are the result of human arrogance, intervention, manipulation or management.
      3. Hunting causes imbalanced wildlife populations.

Dove Hunting is not biologically justified

1. Management need does not exist because doves are not overpopulated or a nuisance species, therefore hunting is not biologically justified.

Dove hunting will not generate conservation revenue or general economic activity.

1. Flawed economic report (flawed because of gross misinterpretation of data)
      2. Participation in dove hunting does not require much money so it should not be allowed
      3. Dove hunters do not buy electronic dog equipment so the economic impact of dove hunting is insignificant.
      4. Dove hunting will only redistribute the effort but not increase license sales.
      5. Dove hunting will have an impact on ticket sales for concerts and basketball games thereby hurting the economy.

Lack of meat

1. A dove is too small to provide “sustenance”.

Palatability

1. Dove meat has a bitter taste that requires heavy marinades
      2. Crow tastes like wild duck and doves

Doves as Symbols

1. Christian
      2. Hebrew
      3. Pagan
      4. Military
      5. Pacifist
      6. Artist Picasso's painting of the Peace Dove.

Public Safety

1. Dove hunting jeopardizes the safety of non-hunters recreating outdoors

Maintain the Status Quo

1. Doves have not been hunted in NY for many years and that protection should remain in place.

Assigning Characteristics to Doves

1. Peaceful, innocent, helpless, loving, devoted, cute, etc.

Incidental Take of Protected Birds

1. Concerns are often raised about hunter’s ability or commitment to identify doves in flight
      2. Persons self-identifying as “experienced” bird watchers, or indicate they study birds for a living (including several artists who characterize their livelihood as “study birds for a living”) indicate they personally have misidentified stationary doves with binoculars, and assert that an error is more likely when discerning birds in flight without binoculars.

Miscellaneous

1. “I am not an animal rights extremist” “I am just a concerned bird watcher”.
      2. ‘I am a hunter, but I oppose hunting doves”.
      3. Orphaned chicks
      4. Compare mourning doves with the passenger pigeon.
      5.  Pb ammunition
      6. Hunters will shoot at doves flying near or perched on utility lines and damage them.
      7.  Writer indicates experience owning a dove or other bird as a pet, saving young birds.
      8. Writer advocates teaching children and/or adults about coexisting with wildlife, animals were here first, compassion for doves, reverence for all life.
      9.  Eating meat is unhealthy or bad for the environment.
      10.  Amount of money spent by both sides or the government in fighting the matter.
      11. Because I feed doves in my backyard people should not hunt them.
      12. Hunters already have enough species to hunt.
      13. Doves are the Farmer’s Friend because they control nuisance plants by eating seeds.
      14. New York State Assembly Rule 3, Sec 1(f) requires the Fiscal Implications of Legislation must be determined.
      15. Anti-hunters will often quote or paraphrase statements made by well-known persons, some of which were published over 120 years ago. The content of such statements is varied:  opinion, outdated science, and often speculation that did not pan out over time.

Characterization of Hunters

1. Real men do not hunt
      2. Hunters are cowards
      3. Hunters are feeble-minded
      4. Hunters are inbred
      5. Hunters are overweight or “paunchy”.
      6. Hunters are backwards
      7. Hunters are hicks
      8. Hunters are Caucasian males
      9. Hunters are an aging and dying breed that is going extinct, in with the new and out with the old!
      10. Hunters are drunks
      11. Hunters are non-athletic or “NARPS” – non-athletic regular person
      12. Hunters can’t fist fight so they need guns
      13.  Multiple contexts of physical inadequacy, sexual inadequacy/etc.
      14. Hunters have the “little man syndrome”.

Core arguments-FD.pdf