Breath in the cold

LITexan

Hi guys, went out Saturday morning for a ground sit. Did not see anything but did have issues with my breath forming big white clouds in the cold. I had a full facemask on and it didnt help much. Any tips on preventing this? I can't imagine deer will not care about it.

I have seen it too. And sometimes it can be very noticeable and impossible to hide. The sun makes it even more bright and noticeable. I creates movement even when you are standing completely still. The good news is that the conditions often are not suitable for this dead give-away. But when they are, it can be like waving your arms ..... lol.

I have no idea how to counter this.

Hi guys, went out Saturday morning for a ground sit. Did not see anything but did have issues with my breath forming big white clouds in the cold. I had a full facemask on and it didnt help much. Any tips on preventing this? I can't imagine deer will not care about it.

For real? You just noticed that? I guess you have never been outdoors in the cold before.

Option 1:

Stop breathing. I am sure the results can't be that bad. Just hold your breath until you pass out, the deer won't notice anything.

Option 2:

Find a vampire and ask them to turn you. They are dead and don't breath.

I love the unlimited "Pop-Emails" that owners get with owning a site in this day and age.

I have manners. But, the visible vapor that emits from the human body in cold temps cannot be stopped. Even with a mask. Our breath is warmer/moister then the air, so it makes that cloud. The only way way to really stop it is not breathing. 

I was curious to know if anyone has figured out a way to disperse it enough so it wouldn't be quite so dense and noticeable. For example, pulling the collar of your jacket up high enough so you are breathing inside of your coat. I'm not sure how practical that is or if it would even work, but maybe some tactic like that to dissipate that huge dense moving cloud of bright white when a deer is standing just a few yards away.

Can't prevent it, it just helps to level the playing field a bit.

• Like 1

I was curious to know if anyone has figured out a way to disperse it enough so it wouldn't be quite so dense and noticeable. For example, pulling the collar of your jacket up high enough so you are breathing inside of your coat. I'm not sure how practical that is or if it would even work, but maybe some tactic like that to dissipate that huge dense moving cloud of bright white when a deer is standing just a few yards away.

consider this.  most bowhunters hunt from a treestand or a blind.  your breathe in very cold crisp weather within a blind isn't as visible to the deer as it is to you because you're buried into the darkness.  also from a treestand this white cloud stands out because you're probably viewing it with dark tree canopy and such in its background.  a deer looking up from below would view it with mostly light sky as a background, so it won't be nearly as visible then either.  couple that with the fact it's unavoidable and there's reason not to worry too much.  due to cold on the nostrils, momentary fogging of glasses or optics, and breathe having more scent to it I usually exhale only through my nose.  this probably diffuses that white cloud of yours as much as it'll get.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I am a ground-stander (its a heights thing) hiding behind a stand, tree, blowdown, or whatever. And while I am completely hidden, that big white plume of breath comes out from behind whatever screen I have like someone waving a big white flag. That's a pretty good analogy .... lol. On those rare frosty mornings when  that sort of thing is going on, I guess I might as well be waving a big white flag of surrender. Even being completely screened I have been picked off because of this.

However, I will say that it is an extremely rare event, and maybe can simply be called just one of those unavoidable circumstances that make hunting ... hunting. It's just tat the original question did catch my attention because I have experienced that same thing as the OP.