Diappointing end to deer season at Stewart - trespassers on quads

Two Track

My season was forced to end early on Sunday at Stewart.

6 people came riding thru my area off Barron road in Stewart.  Not once but 3 times in 30 minutes - from 2:30 until 3 o'clock.

They drove between me and another hunter, both of us wearing the orange and vests.

Three of them were breaking branches and beating on trees shortly before they rode thru.  One was wearing a red jacket, another a dark blue jacket, and the third was wearing a medium blue jacket.  They were around pond messing around the trees on the north side and then climbed up the slope.  After a couple shots rang out they high-tailed back to the water's edge.  15-20 minutes later they came riding thru racing up and down the slope and grassy meadow near where I was setting up off of a buck rub and 6 game trails.  I saw a doe in the area the week before - it should have been the place to be.

Everyone on my side of Barron road, ended up throwing in the towel to not be responsible for an accidental shooting of a trespasser using illegal motorized equipment on state land that was damaging the meadows and water-logged trails, and harassing hunters.

If some accident did happen it would be the hunter that gets vilified, not the person trespassing on banned motorized vehicles doing illegal activities.

Otherwise I enjoyed the weather.

I did pass up a shot. If i missed, I didn't want to be sprayed by the pretty, fluffy woods kitty sporting a black coat with white stripes.

So if the weather is nice, and you plan to hunt at Stewart along Barron Rd, beware of quads coming through in the afternoon and few mountain bikers sneaking by in the morning.

And yes, I did call the DEC dispatch on them.  They have done this before in the Spring Turkey season.  Hopefully they do get caught and mend their ways before something does happen to one of them.

• Thanks 1

My season was forced to end early on Sunday at Stewart.

6 people came riding thru my area off Barron road in Stewart. Not once but 3 times in 30 minutes - from 2:30 until 3 o'clock.

They drove between me and another hunter, both of us wearing the orange and vests.

Three of them were breaking branches and beating on trees shortly before they rode thru. One was wearing a red jacket, another a dark blue jacket, and the third was wearing a medium blue jacket. They were around pond messing around the trees on the north side and then climbed up the slope. After a couple shots rang out they high-tailed back to the water's edge. 15-20 minutes later they came riding thru racing up and down the slope and grassy meadow near where I was setting up off of a buck rub and 6 game trails. I saw a doe in the area the week before - it should have been the place to be.

Everyone on my side of Barron road, ended up throwing in the towel to not be responsible for an accidental shooting of a trespasser using illegal motorized equipment on state land that was damaging the meadows and water-logged trails, and harassing hunters.

If some accident did happen it would be the hunter that gets vilified, not the person trespassing on banned motorized vehicles doing illegal activities.

Otherwise I enjoyed the weather.

I did pass up a shot. If i missed, I didn't want to be sprayed by the pretty, fluffy woods kitty sporting a black coat with white stripes.

So if the weather is nice, and you plan to hunt at Stewart along Barron Rd, beware of quads coming through in the afternoon and few mountain bikers sneaking by in the morning.

And yes, I did call the DEC dispatch on them. They have done this before in the Spring Turkey season. Hopefully they do get caught and mend their ways before something does happen to one of them.

Sucks to have this happen to you. I would get the number of the local Rangers instead next time, they patrol Stewart, not DEC. They can often be seen driving around in unmarked Jeeps.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Aren't certain sections of Stewart preserved for restoration of certain threatened species?  Tearing up these animals land can really hurt these animals.

I've had that happen to me in California Hill a few years back.  Several teens came with quads and started doing donuts.  Really tore up the ground.

I spoke with dispatch and they said they were were two officers in the area that they would send over if they were available (if not taking care of another issue, or checking licenses/deer).

These guys were riding 1/2- 3/4 around stick pond (parking areas 57, 59, and 60). up and down the slope of the meadow, and in part of the wet trail along the south-east side of the pond.  Right past the buck rub.

I figured local would just chastize them for trespass, and may give them a ticket for that.

DEC/Rangers would include property damage, inferring with hunters...

Happened to me this season while bowhunting a state park on the Island..I got on the cell phone with DEC. and put in a complaint..They said sorry its been an on going problem and would dispatch someone to the scene..but not before I had quads driving along the trails...stopping a few yds from me..(they didnt see me I was in full camo in my climber) AND they were shooting something..sounded like air guns..Unbelievable.

At just the wrong time..around 3:30

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

Aren't certain sections of Stewart preserved for restoration of certain threatened species?  Tearing up these animals land can really hurt these animals.

I've had that happen to me in California Hill a few years back.  Several teens came with quads and started doing donuts.  Really tore up the ground.

You'll probably see those same quads on 138th St. by this summer.

I spoke with dispatch and they said they were were two officers in the area that they would send over if they were available (if not taking care of another issue, or checking licenses/deer).

These guys were riding 1/2- 3/4 around stick pond (parking areas 57, 59, and 60). up and down the slope of the meadow, and in part of the wet trail along the south-east side of the pond. Right past the buck rub.

I figured local would just chastize them for trespass, and may give them a ticket for that.

DEC/Rangers would include property damage, inferring with hunters...

If you hunt the area often, see if you can get the cell numbers of the local Rangers. Think one of them is Moses, young fella. I do t frequent Stewart anymore, if I did, that's what I would do.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I've had problems with kids on quads on the street that I live on, talked to local police and was told that they simply are not a priority and even if they sent officers out there is not much they can do because the users on the quads simply drive off and the police will not chase them, I imagine the same applies, especially more so when riders are off road in the woods.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that mountain bikers would spook game just passing through as I have ridden right up on bears, deer & turkeys before they spooked. Kinda scary in bear country actually. When riding in the spring & summer in bear country I make sure to make plenty of noise. I wouldn't want to surprise a mama bear with cubs.

Mountain bikes are illegal in some area though.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The worst now is the bike riders . They go Thur all the time .  saw a jogger two days ago he had a blue hat with a white pompom on top brown coat and blue pants .they should get tickets !!!! We would get a ticket for doing something wrong as marking your tag wrong they should get trespassing tickets

I haven't been there so far this year for deer.  In the past, it they were close enough, I tell them right off that they are not allow to be there during deer season and they could get shot accidentally.

I don't mind as much if they are just on the road, but on the trails, or worse yet, off trail,  that is real potential for a problem.

I think they should post at all the entrances (not just in the lot, but at the road/trail entrances) a fresh sign closed except for hunters and trappers from (opening date) to (closing  date), all others may be arrested for trespassing.

• Like 1