.260 Rem. ?.

thphtm

I have the Remington 700 VTR in 308.  Absolute tack driver.  I absolutely love it and it looks awesome too.

They had a trigger recall not too long ago.  It was a hassle.  I ended up replacing the trigger with a Timney trigger.  I was already sub-moa at 100 yards and 2 inch groups at 200 yards with the old trigger but haven't had enough range time with new one or am I that good of a marksman to tell the difference in performance as of yet.

I have this caliber narrowed down to three rifles. #1 Remy. 700SPS, #2 Remy. 700VTR , #3 Savage 10/110 Predator Hunter Max 1. Anyone ever own one of these model rifles and what do yo think of it. Not interested in any others, Thank You. 

Confused here................................

What do you want recommendations on, the chambering or the model of gun? (in the thread title you mention .260 Rem)

What is the intended use of the firearm?

All I can add on the matter regardless of your answers is that for big game up to the size of an elk the .260 Remington is a wonderful cartridge.  Although I haven't killed anything with my .260, I have the utmost confidence in the .264/6.5mm bullets and chambering.

Best of luck in your decision and the happiest of holidays to you & yours.

Edited by Lawdwaz

#1 shouldn't be.......sporter contour I'm thinking.

Thought the SPS came in a heavy version, VTR has that funky triangle shaped heavy barrel and the model 10 was semi heavy (my description) could be wrong.

Do you want the rifle for deer, coyotes,target??? Just wondering.

M700s can be a crap shoot. I had a M700 MR DBM in 7mm-08 that would shoot 3/8" grouos W/Federal Premium factory ammo. I bought a M700 MR DSM in 280 Rem that shot 3" groups no mt\ater what I fed it. It had the chamber .004" off center! Remington told me that shouldn't affect accuracy!

I've never heard of a Savage bolt action that didn't shoot under 1" in hands with a competant trigger finger. The barrel system Savage emplys promotes exact headspace tolerances.

Don,the feel bad about the Remy. Shooting bad. I have a Salo 75 that would not group no mater what I fed it . We wound up glass bedding the action, it now shoots cloverleafs with factory ammo an reloads.30 06 caliber.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I have a 700 VTR in 308. I wish they had been making the 260s when I bought mine. Its a great rifle, and is very accurate. Im getting sub-MOA results at 100 yards with a 2.5lb Timney trigger (didnt want to deal with the recall) and Federal Fusion 150gr ammo. The factory stock is typical, not floated tupperware, so that will get replaced soon, but it doesnt stop it from shooting very well. I knew about the stock going into it.

The two things I dont particularly care for with the gun are the finish and the muzzle brake. The factory matte finish gets this rust colored haze on it if it gets wet. Ill Cerakote it and never worry about it again. The brake is loud. Just the nature of the beast.

The triangle barrel makes it nice to carry, as you get bull barrel like accuracy with less weight.

I used to have a 700SPS-V in 223. It was a great gun, and was an absolute tack driver. Had basically the same highs and lows as my VTR, with one additional down side and one up side. With the long bull barrel, it was not fun to carry in the field. It did not have the brake, so it wasnt anywhere near as loud.