Hevi Shot

Mossberg500Guy

Even though it kills me to say it i'm gonna spend the extra cash and try Hevi Shot this year, figure a lot of hunters had great results with it and hope i do too. Where do you guys buy it? online or in store? i imagine closer to turkey season it will be on the shelves of most sporting good stores but i can't seem to find any 20 Gauge Hevi Shot on Gander Mountain's site and Dick's Sporting Goods won't let you order online. Another question, Hevi-Shot 13 or Mag Blends?

Is Hevi-shot and tungston safe for every barrel?  I use either Winchester or Remington Copper plated ammo. Whichever is cheaper that April. Just 1 box of 10. Like alot of hunters here--- I get new ammo before each Spring and fire off some of the older ones at targets or old phone books.

I'm pretty sure that Hevi-Shot is safe in most modern shotguns and chokes, but as for older guns i'm not sure.

• Like 1

Dicks should have mag blends. If you have somewhere to send them, I would suggest getting reduced recoil mag blends. Make sure you get a choke that is hevi shot compatible because not all chokes are. Bass pro and cabelas have them if your close enough. Buy it online and send it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Hevi-shot and tungston safe for every barrel?  I use either Winchester or Remington Copper plated ammo. Whichever is cheaper that April. Just 1 box of 10. Like alot of hunters here--- I get new ammo before each Spring and fire off some of the older ones at targets or old phone books.

Barrel wise yes, choke wise is another story. Be sure to check with the choke company if their chokes are safe for Hevi-shot loads.

The plastic wad will prevent any contact with the barrel, it's in the choke tube where the wad gets separated depending on what choke tube you have. Hence be sure that your choke can handle hevi-shot loads. Kick's specifically specifies not to use any hevi-shot loads through their choke tubes. I have been using a Rhino .660 choke out of my Win 1300 for many years now, along with a tri-plex Hevi-shot load from Nitro Company in their 3" 5x4x7 shell. Last year I switched to a Patternmaster code black .665 choke and the new Longbeard shells from Winchester. Been experimenting with both #4's and #5's. They both pattern very well out of my gun.

Look I'm not advertising my site here so I won't go into specifics but there are ways around the online ordering ban. You might not be able to get it delivered to your home but you won't have to drive far to pick it up. The law doesn't say you can't buy your ammo online. It says you have to pick it up in person. The reasoning was the background checks on ammo that never happened. 

Hevi-Shot is comprised of tungsten alloy (tungsten is an element which is harder than steel/iron), nickel, and iron. Hevi-Shot pellets are very hard and they must be contained within a special non-toxic shotcup.

With the above being the case I would not shoot Hevi Shot out of any older shotguns that did not have barrels that were proofed for steel.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...