Squirrel ammo

Just picked up a Savage .17 HMR for small game hunting. I'm new to this caliber so I'm not sure what to expect. I picked up a box of Hornady 17 grain Vmax to go along with it. As far as squirrels go, should I just be taking head shots with this ammo? Or is there a better alternative for .17 ammo I should be shooting? Any advice is welcome, thanks!

A 17 wouldn't be one of my picks for squirrel. Unless you're talking red squirrels, that you aren't going to eat anyway. That's a loud a$$ gun, too. I get a lot of multiple kills in the same location with my 22. I don't see that happening as much with a 17.

Edited by Skillet

A 17 wouldn't be one of my picks for squirrel. Unless you're talking red squirrels, that you aren't going to eat anyway. That's a loud a$$ gun, too. I get a lot of multiple kills in the same location with my 22. I don't see that happening as much with a 17.

It's quite loud, but it's also capable of sub-Moa so potentially could be a 100-150yrd gun for squirrel size targets. Great when you're in a situation where you can exercise its legs.

But I agree, it's probably more of a groundhog type of gun.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

My favorite for squirrels is 22LR with CCI quiets. They are standard weight projectiles just slowed down to like 700 fps. Doesn't blow them up and quieter than most air rifles so it doesn't put all squirrels around on alert.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CB longs ? I haven't seen those in years. CB shorts are the nuts in quiet. Neither would cycle the action of my Ruger 10/22 when I hand fed them. But dang they are quiet.

CB longs ? I haven't seen those in years. CB shorts are the nuts in quiet. Neither would cycle the action of my Ruger 10/22 when I hand fed them. But dang they are quiet.

Yea they are pretty much the same thing. A few years ago CCI came out with the "quiets" and they are amazingly quiet. I can literally hear the bullet impact the squirrels with a hollow thud. Yea I tried running them in my pistols for squirrels but they wouldn't cycle either, I use a bolt action rifle most times so it isn't an issue.

My favorite for squirrels is 22LR with CCI quiets. They are standard weight projectiles just slowed down to like 700 fps. Doesn't blow them up and quieter than most air rifles so it doesn't put all squirrels around on alert.

Can't imagine shooting a round that slow. At close to 900fps, I find the arc difficult to manage with some level of precision already. I generally need to use my rangefinder for targets past 50 or so yards, as the drop is significant for small sized targets such as squirrels.

Can't imagine shooting a round that slow. At close to 900fps, I find the arc difficult to manage with some level of precision already. I generally need to use my rangefinder for targets past 50 or so yards, as the drop is significant for small sized targets such as squirrels.

I typically won't shoot past 30-40 yds and most are within 20 yds, I like stalking them and only use open sights on my rifle and pistols. It certainly isn't a round you'll use at 100 yds but up close it works great. I also like not wearing any form of hearing protection as repeated exposure even from 22lr can do a lot of damage.

I typically won't shoot past 30-40 yds and most are within 20 yds, I like stalking them and only use open sights on my rifle and pistols. It certainly isn't a round you'll use at 100 yds but up close it works great. I also like not wearing any form of hearing protection as repeated exposure even from 22lr can do a lot of damage.

I have my point blank range set from 12-47 yards for squirrel sized game, but anything outside of that I'll need to hold over. I generally like to shoot out to 70-80yards, so having a round that is precise is important to me.

Either way, look forward to getting out for some squirrels if time allows.

• Like 1

I have my point blank range set from 12-47 yards for squirrel sized game, but anything outside of that I'll need to hold over. I generally like to shoot out to 70-80yards, so having a round that is precise is important to me.

Either way, look forward to getting out for some squirrels if time allows.

12-47 yards. You, Sir, are a man who knows his weapon. Impressive.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys! I bought the .17 so I can shoot further than 50 yards accurately. The spots I'll be hunting are wide open hardwoods so I'll plop my a$$ on the ground and keep my eyes open. Should be able to shoot 100 yards easily. This is what she looks like now. Topped her off with a Vortex 6-18x44 and have a Boyd's thumbhole stock on order. Also have a Caldwell bipod that isn't being used that I'll throw on.

9B9AB1C6-B258-4F2D-BD88-8488CC650BA7_zps

• Like 2

Nice looking set-up!

As far as ammo selection, it's like any other rimfire in that the gun will 'like' some ammo more than others for accuracy. Range testing will narrow it down. 

Another thing to watch for with .17 ammo is small splits/cracks in the case necks from the factory. There's nothing remotely dangerous about it, but it can affect accuracy. Especially on a squirrel's head at 100 yards.

I cull the split necks out and use them for plinking rather than hunting.

• Like 1

Nice looking set-up!

As far as ammo selection, it's like any other rimfire in that the gun will 'like' some ammo more than others for accuracy. Range testing will narrow it down.

Another thing to watch for with .17 ammo is small splits/cracks in the case necks from the factory. There's nothing remotely dangerous about it, but it can affect accuracy. Especially on a squirrel's head at 100 yards.

I cull the split necks out and use them for plinking rather than hunting.

I've shot several thousand rounds of 17HMR, and never have ran into any cracked case necks. I have however, heard and seen pictures of 17 WSM ammo with said problems. What brand were these bad ammo from?

I've shot several thousand rounds of 17HMR, and never have ran into any cracked case necks. I have however, heard and seen pictures of 17 WSM ammo with said problems. What brand were these bad ammo from?

Apparently it was a problem when the .17 HMR was first introduced, and has since been corrected. Hornady was not annealing the .22mag cases before neck sizing and bullet seating.

I'm still using .17 ammo that was purchased in bulk in the early 2000's and approximately 10% have splits in the case necks.

The cartridge was brand new to the market at the time and Hornady was the only manufacturer. I bought 5000 rounds for about $450 so culling out 10% in pursuit of accuracy is not a big deal. ;-]

My apologies for any confusion.

• Like 1

Apparently it was a problem when the .17 HMR was first introduced, and has since been corrected. Hornady was not annealing the .22mag cases before neck sizing and bullet seating.

I'm still using .17 ammo that was purchased in bulk in the early 2000's and approximately 10% have splits in the case necks.

The cartridge was brand new to the market at the time and Hornady was the only manufacturer. I bought 5000 rounds for about $450 so culling out 10% in pursuit of accuracy is not a big deal. ;-]

My apologies for any confusion.

Well, that certainly is good info to know. Funny how history repeats itself, now with the 17WSM.