Drones used for hunting

Rockspek

The average "drone" owner isn't likely to ever the develop the flying skills necessary to make it effective for hunting. Not to mention the skills required to translate aerial photography into an actual ground game. Technology has certainly made things easier than they were a decade ago, but it's not as easy as people think.

I've been paid to fly model aircraft (drones) on several occasions involving agricultural research and/or crop reconnaissance for both Universities and businesses. A group of people in a command trailer would receive the down-link from my aircraft and tell me where they wanted me to put the aircraft. I was hired for my piloting skills, but it took a crew of people to take advantage of those skills, and an entirely different crew to make sense of the information that we gathered.

Someone in NYS who knows their property well enough to actually do aerial surveillance doesn't need it for hunting purposes.

The FAA has recently instituted a rule/law that all "drone" owners must register their aircraft and display the registration numbers on their aircraft. Law-abiding hobbyists are generally complying with this registration.

I don't know if this legislation deals with hunting issues or not, but I'm guessing that if you find a crashed model on your property it won't have a registration number on it.

• Like 2

I can see drones becoming a scouting tool, really no different in concept then hanging a game cam on a tree. The only difference is a drone will allow one to get a much better view of one's hunting area. Similar to game cam's that send photos to one's wi-fi enabled devices, one will be able to sit at home and see in real-time what is going on in one's woods. I think their use offers great potential for scouting purposes.

Drones are not allowed, for hunting in NYS, right now. But if they were allowed, one has to wonder, that if one wanted to use one to scan ones woods, would one have to pay some kind of DEC fee, if one wanted to use one for deer hunting ones area?? And would it be a one time fee or a fee one would pay one time every year that one wanted to use one???

Ants

Are you talking of arming a drone and using it to shoot deer or as a scouting tool?

Uuummm..arming a drone and shooting deer with it..of course. One can arm ones  drone..  it might cost one a bit of money, but one can do it...

Edited by ants

The average "drone" owner isn't likely to ever the develop the flying skills necessary to make it effective for hunting. Not to mention the skills required to translate aerial photography into an actual ground game. Technology has certainly made things easier than they were a decade ago, but it's not as easy as people think.

I put his up on the forum to see what people thought.  The reason it came to mind is because I was testing a drone for property management purposes (not hunting related) for the first time and I decided to have it go check my traps for me on a cold day.  I had about 20 minutes of flying skills under my belt and could tell that I had a trap set off.  With new drones you can acquire flying skills pretty quick.  

I always wondered if you could use a drone to drive the deer toward you while hunting.  I personally however enjoy being in the woods. I like hearing nature more than I would ever want to mess it up with a drone.  I think even if I tagged out I would still sit in the woods with a camera and probably see more since the pressure would be off.  As far as scouting with a drone I think it may work when there is snow on the ground and it probably wouldn't mess with the deer if you were high enough with a good camera.  The deer don't need to be chased around more than they already are on a cold winter.

Pretty good gadget for the anti-hunting wackos too. Imagine trying to listen for a deer to be coming with that nasty whining POS circling overhead.

There are so many ways to misuse these things (hunting or otherwise), that I am not looking forward to the proliferation of these things now or in the future.

I think the state should immediately make written landowner permission required before they can be flown over private property.

• Like 1