Winter indoor shooting

Doc

While shooting in a archery league play make-up, I experienced a shoulder dislocation. It wasn't painful but it put me out of archery for four months. The only way back in was the special permit to use a draw lock device which literally turns a bow into a vertical crossbow. The draw lock actually includes an anti-dry fire mechanism and it works great. The draw lock also includes a foot stirrup for cocking like a crossbow except cocking is manual (no need for cocking aid). You bend over grab the string, pull back and place it on a hook at the release. From there it's treaded as a cocked crossbow.

A year later, at a league play again, while cocking the bow, the string slips out of my fingers just as I was placing it on the hook. TWANG!! Dry Fire! $270 later and 2 months waiting for parts the bow is back in use.

Side bar - Comments have been made about the difficulty of carrying a crossbow through the woods.  I've got both and the draw lock on a standard compound bow is far worse at getting hung up in the brush.

My dad lost a draw stop on his Elite hunter while we were shooting , next draw i hear him say loudly "WTF !!!" I look over to see the string dangling from the bow with the arrow still attached and the top cam rolled over past the point of no return . We were able to get some pliers and roll the cam back without screwing anything up but talk about a full pucker moment !

my cousin bought a bow from a big box store.  they set it up without him apparently touching it.  set his draw length and eyeballed tuned the rest.  then brought it to me to get it dialed in.  before i looked at it he came to full draw said it was a piece of crap and felt weird.  I turn around and his cam was all messed up rotation wise.  string wasn't in any track and barely on the post.  thought I was going to get a string whip to the face.  we got it down and through it in the press right away.  the big box store "bow tech" had draw stop off by more than a few positions and cam was way out of time.  it was as if a string or cable came off post and they just through it back on without checking anything.  I got it shooting perfect but could've been a problem in a hurry.  same bow my cousin ended up draw firing twice.  lol... poor thing was doomed from the beginning.

i did too, in 2000 with bachelor party $. That bow was a burner in its day but omg talk about loud and hand shock. That speed

came with a cost

I'll be dipped.........I bought mine on the 2nd day of gun season 1999, oddly.  I walked in and Roy says "what the heck are YOU doing here?"  LOL...I told him I was done with the recurve and longbow, wounded too many and just didn't have the time to practice as much as I needed to.  It was about 12-13 years with the traditional gear, I killed a fair amount of deer with it but at that point I owed it to the animals to get my shiit together.

Speed & hand shock +1  :)

• Like 1

I was gonna build a pulse but opted for the longer A to A of the Pure ,ended up finding one for a song on AT that is black with chrome cams and limb pockets, perfect looking bow for a 3D rig.

I haven't shot a Pure but I hear good things. I have an Answer too but just don't like it as much as my Pulse. I'm going to sell it and try an Energy

I'll be dipped.........I bought mine on the 2nd day of gun season 1999, oddly. I walked in and Roy says "what the heck are YOU doing here?" LOL...I told him I was done with the recurve and longbow, wounded too many and just didn't have the time to practice as much as I needed to. It was about 12-13 years with the traditional gear, I killed a fair amount of deer with it but at that point I owed it to the animals to get my shiit together.

Speed & hand shock +1 :)

Roys a good dude
  • Like 1

im sure I'll end up with one. I can't help myself when it comes to bows. It's a shame they aren't worth squat after just a few years

it'll be interesting to see how resale value is with the E35 now that Elite has come out with the Victory 37.  same speed as the E35 but 37" Axle length.  definitely will be a favorite for things like 3D and maybe even some western bowhunters.  i just got the Victory and haven't even set it up yet!  i thinking i'll just roll with it slightly longer and slightly slower.

Just watch Archery talk or EBay for a week...guys are letting some top bows go for next to nothing....I prefer buying used, save a few bucks, and still get great equipment.

What's the brace height on that Victory 37?? 6 3/4? If so only a 1/4 difference then the E35, making it very comparable with a longer ata which will result in most target archers to definitely make the switch..in return causing the market to flood with used E35's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven't shot a Pure but I hear good things. I have an Answer too but just don't like it as much as my Pulse. I'm going to sell it and try an Energy

A few of us shot the video shoot at SS last year and we were practicing on the indoor range ,as soon as the kid saw me shooting an Elite ,he kept bringing out the new ones for me to try out . I've been a fan of the shorter bows for hunting but i would have to take a long look at the Synergy after shooting it a few times.

Just watch Archery talk or EBay for a week...guys are letting some top bows go for next to nothing....I prefer buying used, save a few bucks, and still get great equipment.

What's the brace height on that Victory 37?? 6 3/4? If so only a 1/4 difference then the E35, making it very comparable with a longer ata which will result in most target archers to definitely make the switch..in return causing the market to flood with used E35's.

I bought 3 Elites off AT ,all of them in January because everyone dumps their old bows to get the latest and greatest . I paid 250 each for both my Z28 and the Pure , I ended up getting my dad's Hunter for 325.

A few of us shot the video shoot at SS last year and we were practicing on the indoor range ,as soon as the kid saw me shooting an Elite ,he kept bringing out the new ones for me to try out . I've been a fan of the shorter bows for hunting but i would have to take a long look at the Synergy after shooting it a few times.

How is that video shoot??

Thats just a one time thing right? Grab a few guys and shoot for a bit.

How is that video shoot??

Thats just a one time thing right? Grab a few guys and shoot for a bit.

It was 4 of us ,it was a good time . It pushes you along at a good pace ,you will get more then enough arrows down range In one session.

I know a shop owner who hunts with one.  it's a nice shooting bow.  only reason I didn't go with it was because I was looking for something a little longer (more comfortable anchor) for 3D.  definitely would be a sweet bow for hunting.  stabile enough but more than manageable out of a blind or a stand.  for hunting I'd rather have an easy stealthy draw than raw speed most times.  I don't really stick to a brand.  whatever I like that shoots the best for me.  came close to sticking with one brand because I almost was a shooting staff member.  shop was really too far from me though that wanting me to represent them and was going to contact the manufacturer.

brand loyalty is what it is but the "fan boy", every other brand sucks, new bow at retail every year mentality just makes me shake my head.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Ive had Dartons, Bowtechs, Matthews, and Elites. I liked them all except the Matthews, I just couldnt get used to that grip. The reason I like the Elites so much is that the other manufacturers have all gone to these super overstressed looking speed bows that IMO have very little forgiveness. To the average hunter/shooter that speed is a detriment. Any little flaw in your form is exaggerated down range

• Like 1

I've had Bowtech, Diamond, Bear, Hoyt, PSE, and Elite bows.  I've shot and tuned Mathews bows a bit but never owned one.  I can't get past their new Halon with such crazy large looking cams.  Not all speed bows are created equal but I agree.  Most are better suited practicing judging yardage and/or carrying a range finder with a slower and probably relatively more forgiving bow in hand.