Coyote Bounty in PA.

Doc

In the grand scheme of things, some of you folks are complaining about $25 per coyote, but NYS spends $1000 per deer shot by a sniper.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

sounds like they could save a bunch of money by introducing more coyotes and closing coyote season. Edited by Buckmaster7600

Quote: "I've yet to meet a hunter on the field that didn't want to shoot a coyote, anytime, anywhere it's legal."

And yet 99.9% of hunters will only shoot one as a target of opportunity.

They do not hit the field ever with coyotes as the primary target.

Longer seasons and/or bounties will not change this or increase overall kill in a statistically significant amount.

That is a bit like saying that rising fur prices do not impact motivated trappers in a statistically significant amount. And yet trapper numbers move proportional to the fur market. I have no idea how much of a motivator a bounty might add to a hunter pulling the trigger on a coyote when they see them. I have no idea what a cash motive might have on getting people out actively hunting coyotes, but apparently the PA. DNR thinks there is some merit to the idea. Perhaps doing bounties on a one or two year trial basis would answer those questions. The one good thing is that there would be no harvest reporting difficulties and real numbers would be available for study .... lol. Frankly, I hope they do it, and we'll see if a bounty system really works or not. What they learn might be directly applicable to NYS as well. I'm always up for getting paid to hunt.

• Like 1

I have not read every post, but I don't recall anybody mentioning the fact that PA already has a year round season for coyotes...In fact the only time that you can't shoot them is before noon during spring gobbler season and during deer rifle season IF you do not have a valid deer tag.You can even shoot them on SUNDAY, Praise The Lord ! Ain't too many critters you can legally shoot on Sunday in PA.

Soooooo, do you really think a $25 bounty is REALLY going to get more people shooting coyotes ?

I think it's going to waste taxpayers money paying for coyotes that would be shot REGARDLESS of the bounty...

Perhaps the fact that they have a year around season and it is not working in PA might be an answer to those that think that is the solution for us.

I guess the question boils down to whether or not cash is a motivator. I do see trappers that are motivated by cash. I'm guessing that hunters really aren't all that different. So what would it really cost to run a short trial program to put actual numbers to that question.

• Like 1

We can only hope that some day you walk out your door and find a dozen of your sheep killed without even being ate on like my neighbor did a couple years back.

Nice. Maybe if you embellish that field dressing story a bit more, I might join your side.

In the grand scheme of things, some of you folks are complaining about $25 per coyote, but NYS spends $1000 per deer shot by a sniper.

Correct me if I am wrong but municipalities contract with APHIS not NYS. NYS contracted with APHIS to remove feral pigs - a different thing both ecologically and economically.

Perhaps the fact that they have a year around season and it is not working in PA might be an answer to those that think that is the solution for us.

What is the problem we need a solution for? Too many coyotes? Doing what? Eating 2% of the deer population? A population that is way too big in much of the state.

Nice. Maybe if you embellish that field dressing story a bit more, I might join your side.

Correct me if I am wrong but municipalities contract with APHIS not NYS. NYS contracted with APHIS to remove feral pigs - a different thing both ecologically and economically.

What is the problem we need a solution for? Too many coyotes? Doing what? Eating 2% of the deer population? A population that is way too big in much of the state.

Info coming from a guy that admits he does not hunt or shoot coyotes is a little less than useless!  You read a book a believe the words.

I bet your a firm believer that CWD can be transmitted by deer in their urine because the book told you its possible yet never proven in over 50 years?

Thats the kind of info a hunting site gets from guys like you.Kinda like getting deer hunting tips from a 2 weekend a year deer hunter. Let the people that really see,touch and feel coyotes give the truths.

I Need to ask ..."I only kill what I eat". Where is your out rage for wood chucks? No season, ,hunted during their rearing phase...don't know of many that eat them. They are no harm to other game animals. So what puts them on a lower level than Coyotes for you?

You should ask where is my outrage about the mice in the root cellar. You are off topic. Start a new thread.

BTW - FSW keeps implying that I have only book learning experience. Anyone who knows how much time I have spent watching wildlife would laugh. I have spent countless hours conducting wildlife surveys, been hired as a contractor by DEC to work in ADK wilderness areas, and the thousands of hours watching while hunting or just for my pleasure. I would bet the farm that I have spent at least 10X as many hours watching coyotes behave naturally as he has.

I Need to ask ..."I only kill what I eat". Where is your out rage for wood chucks? No season, ,hunted during their rearing phase...don't know of many that eat them. They are no harm to other game animals. So what puts them on a lower level than Coyotes for you?

Ha..We dont even know if this guy really hunts. Puts up a few pics that show a deer hanging yet speaks like a SPCA spokesperson. Thats what we see from the posts that he puts up. Whatever!

You should ask where is my outrage about the mice in the root cellar. You are off topic. Start a new thread.

BTW - FSW keeps implying that I have only book learning experience. Anyone who knows how much time I have spent watching wildlife would laugh. I have spent countless hours conducting wildlife surveys, been hired as a contractor by DEC to work in ADK wilderness areas, and the thousands of hours watching while hunting or just for my pleasure. I would bet the farm that I have spent at least 10X as many hours watching coyotes behave naturally as he has.

You are probably right. I dont feed the useless vermin that are made for nothing but harm.  I watch them but most times its not for very long.

I like how you dodge the question Grow threw at ya.  Just strengthens our theory!  I bet if you use your friend Google you could find a nice recipe for those Mice. 

Ha..We dont even know if this guy really hunts. Puts up a few pics that show a deer hanging yet speaks like a SPCA spokesperson. Thats what we see from the posts that he puts up. Whatever!

I posted a photo of 8 or 9 deer hanging in MY barn the last time you brought this up. You have a short memory. How many times do you want to see that photo?

You are probably right. I dont feed the useless vermin that are made for nothing but harm.  I watch them but most times its not for very long.

I like how you dodge the question Grow threw at ya.  Just strengthens our theory!  I bet if you use your friend Google you could find a nice recipe for those Mice. 

Oh yes, I said I eat what I kill but I was referring to hunting. I did not eat the rabid racoon I killed in the barn. I did not eat the sick skunks that wandered into the yard over the years. I would not eat a human intruder if I had to kill one. I do not hunt woodchucks and I do not hunt coyotes. I hunt deer, squirrels, grouse and occasionally rabbits.

Your response was beyond weak.A joke as well,considering your comparison of coyote to...wait for it...BACON!

What? Go back and read it.  I did not compare a coyote to bacon. I was listing risks for a rational risk assessment: real risks vs the risk posed to humans by coyotes. You are more likely to be harmed by bacon than a coyote. That is just reality.

Edited by Curmudgeon

I posted a photo of 8 or 9 deer hanging in MY barn the last time you brought this up. You have a short memory. How many times do you want to see that photo?

Oh yes, I said I eat what I kill but I was referring to hunting. I did not eat the rabid racoon I killed in the barn. I did not eat the sick skunks that wandered into the yard over the years. I would not eat a human intruder if I had to kill one. I do not hunt woodchucks and I do not hunt coyotes. I hunt deer, squirrels, grouse and occasionally rabbits.

What? Go back and read it. I did not compare a coyote to bacon. I was listing risks for a rational risk assessment: real risks vs the risk posed to humans by coyotes. You are more likely to be harmed by bacon than a coyote. That is just reality.

What about folks who hunt chipmunks, woodchucks, sparrow, and other species that's allowed year round? Do they not have young to feed and raise? Yet, they are allowed to be hunted year round, and for just reason. Not everything we hunt is to preserve human life, but to protect property and other life as well.

The only thing Shawnhu listed that is an invasive is the sparrow...go check the invasive list..I did...another weak answer. You can flip,turn,and try to spin what people are saying until your in knots. It won't change the fact they have you unable to bring clarity to your position.They are far worse to the health of a diverse eco system than a wood Chuck could ever be..take them away and what you have is the Fox,bobcat,and Even fishers to take three place. All a better options.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

What? Go back and read it.  I did not compare a coyote to bacon. I was listing risks for a rational risk assessment: real risks vs the risk posed to humans by coyotes. You are more likely to be harmed by bacon than a coyote. That is just reality.

I could keep throwing up the same picture of the same deer hanging in the same barn and call myself a hunter without ever shooting a gun. That dont cut it. You words alone point you in the SPCA direction on about every post on this site.

Its save the world, Save the animal on most of your words on this site.  Leave the hunting and hunting advice to those that really hunt.the animals we speak of.

I could keep throwing up the same picture of the same deer hanging in the same barn and call myself a hunter without ever shooting a gun. That dont cut it. You words alone point you in the SPCA direction on about every post on this site.

Its save the world, Save the animal on most of your words on this site.  Leave the hunting and hunting advice to those that really hunt.the animals we speak of.

So, because I don't hate coyotes like you do, I am not a hunter? Because I don't fear them, and don't kill them, I am not worthy. I hunt for a lot of reasons but never as out anger, fear or hate. I don't worship antlers.

You could show us hundreds of photos of deer that were killed inside a fence. "High fence" isn't different in substance from raising lambs for slaughter. I don't take photos of myself with dead deer because it brings me no pride. I do have some photos of myself with others and their deer because they wanted me in the photo.

You are a lot of hot air. Would you like to make a real wager on whether I am a hunter? Something substantial, like 6 figures? You name the price and the proof needed. Then, bring along the checkbook. How about the loser gives the amount to an organization of the winner's choice? You game?

Hunters are the original conservationists. Aldo Leopold is one of my heroes, but, apparently I am not tough enough for the likes of you.

• Like 1

The only thing Shawnhu listed that is an invasive is the sparrow...go check the invasive list..I did...another weak answer. You can flip,turn,and try to spin what people are saying until your in knots. It won't change the fact they have you unable to bring clarity to your position.They are far worse to the health of a diverse eco system than a wood Chuck could ever be..take them away and what you have is the Fox,bobcat,and Even fishers to take three place. All a better options.

What are you talking about?

So, because I don't hate coyotes like you do, I am not a hunter? Because I don't fear them, and don't kill them, I am not worthy. I hunt for a lot of reasons but never as out anger, fear or hate. I don't worship antlers.

You could show us hundreds of photos of deer that were killed inside a fence. "High fence" isn't different in substance from raising lambs for slaughter. I don't take photos of myself with dead deer because it brings me no pride. I do have some photos of myself with others and their deer because they wanted me in the photo.

You are a lot of hot air. Would you like to make a real wager on whether I am a hunter? Something substantial, like 6 figures? You name the price and the proof needed. Then, bring along the checkbook. How about the loser gives the amount to an organization of the winner's choice? You game?

Hunters are the original conservationists. Aldo Leopold is one of my heroes, but, apparently I am not tough enough for the likes of you.

I don't hate coyotes but I shoot them when ever I have the chance. Actually I enjoy watching coyotes when they are out of season. They are very entertaining to watch when there is pups around. To say anyone who kills them kills them out of hatred is ignorant.

HaHa..Touched a soft spot huh. Dont worry, Your words alone speak volume and one can tell who is a hunter and knows the game they hunt and speak of and then one knows who speaks from reading some outdated material.

We all on this site know who the hunter is and who the book reader in in this conversation.  

Now its antlers because i hate a coyote?  I told ya before, I have no problem with a coyote. As long as it is not on my property. Kinda like trespassers. I have no use for them or the problems they cause.

I'd like to see all the evidence of coyotes decimating an entire 1000 acre piece of land in NY... just one 1000 acre piece devoid of any wildlife because of coyotes. That seems to be the motivation for a certain onslaught on coyotes. I know of one person in NY that has made that claim, but nothing concrete to back it up.

Legend has it that after all the coyotes were killed, two years later the wildlife began to re-appear just in time for the re-appearance of the coyotes as well. I could be wrong.. I might have just seen it in a Disney movie. Yeah, I think I'm wrong on this... it seems a little too far fetched.

• Like 2

Like everything else, coyotes have a carrying capacity, mainly based on food source. The more small game that's around, the more it can support a healthy coyote population. And as we know, coyotes hunt in packs, and are exponentially more effective that way, making a large population even more dangerous.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but when I go out on a hunt for editable game, I'd like to return home with something I can put on the pan and enjoy the fruits of my labor. If it means controlling and thinning out a large population of a certain predator during the off-season, so be it.

I'd like to see all the evidence of coyotes decimating an entire 1000 acre piece of land in NY... just one 1000 acre piece devoid of any wildlife because of coyotes. That seems to be the motivation for a certain onslaught on coyotes. I know of one person in NY that has made that claim, but nothing concrete to back it up.

Legend has it that after all the coyotes were killed, two years later the wildlife began to re-appear just in time for the re-appearance of the coyotes as well. I could be wrong.. I might have just seen it in a Disney movie. Yeah, I think I'm wrong on this... it seems a little too far fetched.

If you owned a big enough piece of property to learn and know whats going on with the wildlife you may see the real world. Your outdated book research is a joke. From you rambling on that there cant be more than 1 family on a property or more than 1 alpha,  Thats a joke!

I could go on but why bother. like i said before, I will take my knowledge from someone that that puts boots to the ground, Not someone that takes to a book.

You should hook up with the other yote lover on here, between you two you could really write up a hell of a fiction book on what you think yotes do and dont do. In the mean time i will enjoy my property and useful wildlife without any useless vermin!