A couple of interesting wildlife items

Curmudgeon

Today, 2 red squirrels were copulating for an extended period near the bird feeder. I don't think they do it just for fun. It seems having young in February might not be the best strategy.

I posted this link in the AEP topic but it might be lost down in the bottom. It is worth watching. It is a video of a young, wild golden eagle attacking a chamois. The chamois I have seen are about the size of a domestic goat. Take a look at what happens to this bird - not to mention the chamois. I have doubts about whether the bird could recover and survive.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/adventure/stories/1331761920585/see-an-eagle-chase-down-a-chamois-in-the-alps

Golden eagles attack ungulates rarely. When they do, they generally knock them off cliffs, or grab their backs and hold on while they run until completely spent and collapse.

I have a young red squirrel that has been hitting a suet cage that I put up away from the bird feeder , I put a slice of old pizza in it and it keeps on coming back for more all day long. This has been going on for 3 days now.

Cool vid. but it looks as if the other animals did not try to protect the one that was attacked, they just stood there and watched.

Food

mammals.png

Mammals

Golden Eagles prey mainly on small to medium-sized mammals, including hares, rabbits, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, and marmots. Black-tailed jackrabbits are a key prey species throughout much of their range. These eagles are also capable of taking larger bird and mammal prey, including cranes, swans, deer, and domestic livestock. They have even been observed killing seals, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, pronghorn, coyotes, badgers, and bobcats. In addition to live prey, Golden Eagles often feed on carrion, following crows and other scavengers to a meal. They also catch fish, rob nests, and steal food from other birds.

Some organizations have attempted to relocate golden eagles from areas where lamb predation was semi-regular. In Montana, over 400 eagles (most seemingly migratory specimens) were relocated at a cost of over $100,000. Similarly, 16 breeding eagles were relocated in Wyoming after relatively heavy levels of lamb depredation. In each case, relocation has failed as the eagles find their way back to their own home ranges or wintering grounds in a matter of a few weeks, showing that the eagles have a strong homing ability.[272][273

Edited by growalot

Have hunted Chamois twice now, and that young bird has been closer than I have to one. LOL

That's some tumble they took.

I haven't hunted them but I haven't gotten close either. I take my Swarovski spotting scope with me whenever I go to Europe. Watching them from even a mile away, I feel lucky.

It seems that predators sometimes do things that might be a bit out of character for their natural behaviors... not sure whether it's out of desperation from hunger, or just an uncontrollable urge based on their instinct to kill, or even just a flat out mistake that isn't realized until it's too late... certainly does make you wanna scratch your head sometimes. One thing for sure is that behavior in nature is never an absolute. It sure does make for some very interesting footage when caught on film.

• Like 1

I haven't hunted them but I haven't gotten close either. I take my Swarovski spotting scope with me whenever I go to Europe. Watching them from even a mile away, I feel lucky.

They are a cool animal....

Got with in 75 yds over the top of a shooter billy after a stupid steep climb, but he was on a rock outcrop with several hundred yd drop below him, so left him. Would have been busted up when he fell.

In the Pyrenees seen a good one and got to 200yds, but he was in and out of rocks with no shot and ran out of walkable terrain to set up for a shot and he walked out of sight.

Seen a bunch of nannies with in 125 yds like the ones in the video a few times on both hunts.

Maybe next time it'll all come together.