Savage 220 help!

TreeGuy

My father has decided to hang up his 50+ year old 870 and " upgrade " his slug gun. We have it narrowed down to two options... A savage 220 or a cantaliever barrel for his 11-87 12ga super mag.

I guess I am open to suggestions but the reason I'm posting is I'm hoping someone in the Erie county area has a 220 and may consider letting my father "test drive" it. I'm sure he would throw a box of slugs your way or something...

I know from reading the gun does kick and if its overpowering for him, it will be the new barrel. So there's only one way to try it... Anyone willing to help ? Tia

I've had my eye on one for years... Just investing in different types of weapons for the arsenal lately. So when he mentioned new slug gun it was my first answer. He is just concerned about dropping down to a 20ga and since he's "getting old" he's not interested in getting the crap knocked out of his shoulder anymore - bringing us back to the 11-87 barrel

Edited by TreeGuy

I would say the 220. My brother in law and his father hunt with them. They get crazy groups( for a shotgun)  at 200yds with Hornady SST's. My brother in law showed me one of his 200 yd targets (off of a rest) and it was about 3"….maybe. 

I have heard that the Super Mag has had feeding and ejection problems.

I would say the 220. My brother in law and his father hunt with them. They get crazy groups( for a shotgun) at 200yds with Hornady SST's. My brother in law showed me one of his 200 yd targets (off of a rest) and it was about 3"….maybe.

I have heard that the Super Mag has had feeding and ejection problems.

Put a lot of rounds through it so far. Only issues was when we used low brass crap target loads for trap shooting in the back yard. Has no prob with any high brass turkey loads so I have to assume a nice 2 3/4" hornady slug should cycle fine.

I've owned the 870 and a gas operated semi auto to shoot slugs.

Bought the 220 a few years ago; damn accurate (Hornady SST's), its rifle origins allow a low scope mount and rifle like handling. Put a Aimpoint red dot on it with a EGW rail and it shoots better than it ought to for the price.

Shop around, there are some good deals that come up on these.

Did I mention its stupid accurate?

• Like 1

Put a lot of rounds through it so far. Only issues was when we used low brass crap target loads for trap shooting in the back yard. Has no prob with any high brass turkey loads so I have to assume a nice 2 3/4" hornady slug should cycle fine.

I think I read or heard somewhere that the super mag was designed to work best with 3 1/2" or at least 3" shells. Run some 2 3/4" slugs through the bird barrel first to make sure they cycle good, before you fork over the cash for a cantilever barrel.

I have one and you would be more than welcome to shoot it.  It is incredibly accurate and the recoil is very light.

Have a Leupold scope on it..   I have probably taken 8 deer with it, out to 180 yards and never took more than 1 shot.  Never had one run more than 20 yards either..  3 inch federals are what I have always used.

As others have stated, it is rifle accurate

My camp is in Livingston County..  Could arrange a time to shoot it if you want to drive that far.

I have one and you would be more than welcome to shoot it.  It is incredibly accurate and the recoil is very light.

Have a Leupold scope on it..   I have probably taken 8 deer with it, out to 180 yards and never took more than 1 shot.  Never had one run more than 20 yards either..  3 inch federals are what I have always used.

As others have stated, it is rifle accurate

My camp is in Livingston County..  Could arrange a time to shoot it if you want to drive that far.

you have the 220 or the Super Mag???

Moog has the 220 and I have the H&R Ultra Slug...they are in my opinion two of the most accurate mass-produced slug guns out there. I would only own a pump/semi if I did drives more often.

The recoil in both are pretty easy to take. The 220 is quite a bit louder in my opinion as I've had plenty of seat time around both during out shooting sessions and actual hunting. Not sure why, but definitely not an issue w/recoil especially compared to a 12g.

Moog has the 220 and I have the H&R Ultra Slug...they are in my opinion two of the most accurate mass-produced slug guns out there. I would only own a pump/semi if I did drives more often.

The recoil in both are pretty easy to take. The 220 is quite a bit louder in my opinion as I've had plenty of seat time around both during out shooting sessions and actual hunting. Not sure why, but definitely not an issue w/recoil especially compared to a 12g.

When I bought my 220, I also looked at the H&R ultra Slug..  I ultimately went with the 220 because I liked the option of it being a bolt and getting off a second shot.  5 years later and many deer, I would say that with either of these guns it should not be a consideration, as I have never had a need to take a second shot.

Appreciate all the feedback guys!just to clarify a bit, the only known issues with ejection is with the 11-87, not the 220.

As far as heading to Livingston county..thank you so much for the offer.Its at least an hour away. I'm hoping we can find someone closer but I will def keep u in mind ! If your our only option I will def look you up