Opinion on poaching

Chef

We/you cannot do this.I wonder if you work with the town/area and allow the sharpshooters to use your land if they would allow the land owner to be able to keep some of the meat/Deer and Donate the rest in the land owners name.I have seen the culling of Deer in my county/at a college farm and year after year they kill about 70.I do find that it is ok for the hired shooters but not for the hunter to bait them use of lights and shoot with a firearm but if we do it we get our asses in a sling.

• Like 1

is it poaching though if the area is open?I think they would be hard pressed to convict on that violation.

. Agreed as far as dec is concerned the area is open for hunting it is only a town no projectile law being violated no poaching in my book...... Oh and the liberals that run the town will never change things...

is it poaching though if the area is open?I think they would be hard pressed to convict on that violation. 

kinda like using a rifle in a shotgun zone or a gun in a bow only area, the area is open for hunting, but not for the wrong weapon.........at least that's how I see it.

• Like 1

Nuisance permits are not "hunting" and would override the town ordnance regarding hunting. If the ordnance is about shooting a firearm in the town then you might have a little more trouble. Otherwise I would take the town to court but probably wouldn't be worth it. I'd probably go get me a new airgun!

• Like 1

kinda like using a rifle in a shotgun zone or a gun in a bow only area, the area is open for hunting, but not for the wrong weapon.........at least that's how I see it.

but those violations would be contrary to NYS Environmental law. I don't believe this would be. I know I am being very technical but it seemed like a good conversation to have. i think everyone will say it is wrong to do but to call it poaching...is it? (I mean legally)

poaching

[poh-ching] 
Spell Syllables
noun
the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or stealgame without the landowner's permission.
any encroachment on another's property, rights, ideas, or the like.

poaching

[poh-ching] 
Spell Syllables
noun
the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or stealgame without the landowner's permission.
any encroachment on another's property, rights, ideas, or the like.

That is kind of a hold over definition from the Days of the Lord owning the land and the game on it. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Poaching

The illegal shooting, trapping, or taking of game or fish from private or public property.

The poaching of game and fish was made a crime in England in the seventeenth century, as aristocratic landowners soughtto preserve their shooting and property rights. Poor peasants did most of the poaching to supplement their diets with meatand fish.

In the United States, poaching was not considered a serious problem meriting legal measures before the twentieth century,because vast expanses of undeveloped land contained abundant sources of fish and game. The increased cultivation ofland and the growth of towns and cities reduced wildlife habitats in the twentieth century. In the early 1900s, the U.S.conservation movement arose with an emphasis on preserving wildlife and managing the fish and game populations. Wildlifepreserves and state and national parks were created as havens for wild animals, many of which were threatened withextinction.

Because of these changing circumstances, restrictions were placed on hunting and fishing. State game and fish laws nowrequire persons to purchase licenses to hunt and fish. The terms of these licenses limit the kind and number of animals orfish that may be taken and restrict hunting and fishing to designated times of the year, popularly referred to as hunting andfishing seasons.

Therefore, persons who fail to purchase a license, as well as those who violate the terms of their licenses, commit acts ofpoaching. Most poaching in the United States is done for sport or commercial profit. Rare and endangered species, whichare protected by state and federal law, are often the targets of poachers.

Poaching laws are enforced by game wardens, who patrol state and national parks and respond to violations on privateproperty. Poachers are subject to criminal laws, ranging from misdemeanors to felonies. Penalties may include steep fines,jail sentences, the Forfeiture of any poached game or fish, the loss of hunting and fishing license privileges for severalyears, and the forfeiture of hunting or fishing equipment, boats, and vehicles used in the poaching.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/poaching

By that definition you could argue that since hunting is banned by the ordnance you are violating the terms of your license and are therefore poaching. 

kind of the boat I fall in. If it's against the law you're using an unfair advantage that other law abiders would not have. To me, while gray is a form of poaching.

kind of the boat I fall in. If it's against the law you're using an unfair advantage that other law abiders would not have. To me, while gray is a form of poaching.

but there's no hunting, so he's not taking an opportunity from someone else. That's why to me if it's safe I couldn't care less. I wouldn't do it though, not worth an arrest

but there's no hunting, so he's not taking an opportunity from someone else. That's why to me if it's safe I couldn't care less. I wouldn't do it though, not worth an arrest

Sure he is, If I'm his neighbor and I follow the rules then I'm missing an opportunity to fill my freezer and probably take some pretty nice unpressured deer. I hate this comes across like "if I can't have, nobody can". But really what makes him special and other land owners not?

Wasn't the original post about hunting in city limits where no hunting is allowed? If I misread then I agree with you

No hunting is a result of no discharge ordinance. So, why is it ok for someone else to take game when it's not ok for someone else, thus depriving others.

Another argue eng could very well be, the game that's not hunted in these areas, could breed and spread to outside areas where hunting is permitted. If these folks are poaching them, they would never had that chance to expand and thus, depriving of others of game as well.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The town that I live in you need to be 150ft from your neighbor’s house to shoot a bow or have written permission saying its ok. But the town police usually don’t bother you unless someone complains. Now in the village it may be different. But technically you can’t shoot a bow in your back yard in the town I live.