Cost to do rest and string/cables?

88GW

I need new string and cables and gonna pull the trigger on a qad ultrarest hdx hoyt specific drop away arrow rest. The rest is 175 at local bow shop and string and cables range 100-150. How much could I expect to pay for labor, tune-up, paper tuning etc??

I need new string and cables and gonna pull the trigger on a qad ultrarest hdx hoyt specific drop away arrow rest. The rest is 175 at local bow shop and string and cables range 100-150. How much could I expect to pay for labor, tune-up, paper tuning etc??

You won't be disappointed with the rest that I can assure you. Trial is right with that price they should do it. Most guys around here that do custom strings, it is a flat price no labor. There is also a good thread on this forum for paper tuning. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that tell you exactly what to do with paper tuning.

I just had a set made from an excellent string builder, one of I would say the top three or four guys building custom strings now . The set cost me less a good bit less then 100 shipped.

If a shop was installing the strings and cable getting the bow back in spec, timing the cams ...roughing it trough paper. I would think they would be right to add an hour labor.

The price of that HDX is high, you can get regular one all day on eBay for 100-110.

The Hoyt and elites HDX will run you 150.

179 is high. They should set the rest up for you at that price.

Also find out who they are getting the string set from

Not stirring the pot...but with all the custom string builders out there how is the guy you ordered from considered top 3 out there?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's a good question. It comes down to reputation, and installing a lot of sets and being critical of what your seeing.

When you start asking for names of builders there are a few that get high praise across the broad even from their peers.

I have found your going to be hard pressed to find better built treads then Brethern and Ex-wolverine ( Tom Park ).

• Like 2

cost of the rest is usually 160 + tax.  every shop i've been to they've installed rest for no additional cost if you've bought it from them.  also $150 if it's a 2 cam bow (two control cables/strings and a string) and custom strings with multiple custom color choices then it's not a bad price.  seems a little high though.  any time you buy strings same as anything it's installed at no extra charge.  mom and pop shops are usually a little higher than your bigger retailers like Cabelas, Lancaster, etc.  That's normal.

Thanks for all the info/opinions. I am going to the local bow shop, I may pay more but if I have any issues they will stand behind their work.  I know I can save a buck here or there but without a bowpress I'm outta luck.  They will also do a "Tune-Up" while it is broken down, remove, clean and lube all parts.

I've had some great strings made from asking over on Archerytalk, there are more than 3 top string makers thats for sure, I've had good luck with all five or six I've tried including Twisted Archer, Winners Choice, Extreme Bowstrings and 60X to name a few. 

Edited by nycredneck

• 2 weeks later...

Got the bow back from the shop and am thoroughly impressed with the QAD rest and the new strings.  The shop did a great job with their tuneup, the bow is silent and smooth on the draw and is extremely quiet while shooting.  While on the range other customers and employees were amazed at how quiet it was not even considering it is a 5 year old bow. Hoping this will last another 5 years before I splurge on the latest craze of hunting bows in 2021!!!

Price was $360, $120 ish for all new winners choice cables and string, $175 for QAD hoyt spec. rest, new peep, new string silencers, new d- loop, paper tune, and tune-up(remove cams, clean and lube).

More than I wanted to spend but 110% satisfied with their work and if I have any problems, peep rotation etc. they stand behind their work and will take care of it on the spot.